Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TG's 40L nano adventure: Attack of the Possum Wrasse

tunagirll

On 10/2/2017 at 9:00 AM, tunagirll said:

Sure is :)

I picked up a toadstool leather today and glued it up top - apart from another couple of frags of zoas and maybe a couple button scolys, pretty much done with the tank ?

Edit: My LFS knows about missing out on the shrimp/goby pair and pointed out a Pygmy possum wrasse I might like, to cheer me up ❤️ But I think I would prefer a yellow watchman goby, as my OH loves how grumpy they look

Possum wrasses are so pretty! :wub:

On 08/10/2017 at 3:08 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Possum wrasses are so pretty! :wub:

Especially now it's in my tank! ?

We lost Ezio to carpet surfing ??? so the tank is now wrapped with glad wrap with holes poked in it. 

I just came back from the store with another clown and the possum wrasse. 

They are beautiful but I feel bad we lost a fish to something preventable. ?

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear about ur fish. if you have some sort of big box store like homedepot or lowes you can make your own screen to place over

the top of the tank to stop the fish and anything else from getting out. If you can order from BRS they have screen

just for that purpose.   you get the frame from the big box store. Good luck. Tank looks great.

17 minutes ago, dling said:

Sorry to hear about ur fish. if you have some sort of big box store like homedepot or lowes you can make your own screen to place over

the top of the tank to stop the fish and anything else from getting out. If you can order from BRS they have screen

just for that purpose.   you get the frame from the big box store. Good luck. Thank looks great.

Thanks! Much appreciated. I'm going to get some flyscreen frame and tulle to make one for this tank - in the meantime it's glad wrap all the way!

• 3 weeks later...

3 month update!

I left the tank without a water change for nearly 3 weeks and paid the price: I lost Affie and the porites frag.

The tank has had a 40% water change, the carbon and phosguard has been replaced, the sand lightly stirred, and the back section 'washed out' of detritus.

I also took out and cleaned the wave maker, and also cleaned the skimmer.

I also earlier removed the mushroom as I was concerned about it trying to murder the clowns, and replaced it with a yellow tipped torch.

I also picked up a nice palythoa rock which is tucked at the back of the tank.

Everything else is looking pretty good, considering. Citizen Snips tried to warn me off 'his' turf while fetching out the wave maker, which was pretty funny. The possum wrasse has settled in and is looking great, as is my remaining clownfish.

I am toying with removing the goni frag and replacing it with another torch. They look pretty nice up there and the current keeps them away from the other frags.

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Things are going well, fish are fat and happy. Zoas are multiplying, and coral looking robust :)

Added Affie the 2nd to the tank.

Another full change of phosguard and carbon.

I will upgrade to a 45cm cube as soon as I find a shrimp/goby pair locally :)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

wow this is so good... the way you have planned out your tank and the set up of equipment is great!

How did you manage to cope with flow? is the tunze nano wave maker worth it? im about to get one but contemplating about the non pulsating one.... still worried about my sand being pushed around.

how much sand to you have in there? looks like 1"... same like mine.

• 1 month later...
On 15/01/2018 at 7:58 PM, ClownFizz said:

wow this is so good... the way you have planned out your tank and the set up of equipment is great!

How did you manage to cope with flow? is the tunze nano wave maker worth it? im about to get one but contemplating about the non pulsating one.... still worried about my sand being pushed around.

how much sand to you have in there? looks like 1"... same like mine.

I've had the Tunze wave maker for some time - it's a workhorse. I currently have it set on very short cycle so that I get a good wave motion in the tank, but it's more up and down than around (if that makes sense). I would definitely recommend the unit with the controller, because you can do so much with it, which is really useful in a small tank when you are trying to get the flow right.

I have a full inch of sand in there, it is fairly coarse to suit the pistol shrimp - about 2mm - so it doesn't get blown around at all.

Did I mention I finally managed to get a shrimp/goby pair? :D

A yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol.

Lots of things have happened in the tank. We moved house, I had a coral meltdown. My beautiful possum wrasse disappeared. I don't know what happened to him. The tank has since stabilised and I am going to put some more coral in once I have some extra funds for the fish shop. Affie and Ezio, and Citizen Snips, are all well <3

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @tunagirll, sounds like you've been busy! I'd love to see the tank all settled in at the new house. Were you able to keep the arch aquascape?

Thank you! :) Yes, it's been insane. I did keep the arch, I built that thing pretty solidly, and it transported no problem in one piece. I will get some photos once I finish moving house number two (we moved 2 into 1!)