inTank Media Baskets

TG's 40L nano adventure: Attack of the Possum Wrasse

tunagirll

8 minutes ago, gogeta said:

I'm no nano expert literally started my first nano 3 months ago. But have had bigger tanks. I swear the nano's cycle super quick. I started with all dead rock and a tiny piece of live rock. A cube of frozen shrimp to start cycle and I was done in 3 weeks. Last time I did that with a bigger tank took me nearly 3 months 

Your tank looks great! And yes I think the little tanks go faster :) Has to be a silver lining to everything going faster right (not just things going wrong!)

• Like 1

Three weeks - everything has tested perfectly and the combination of dead rock/lights off has kept diatoms to a real minimum :)

I introduced a couple of small Trochus snails, a couple of baby Ocellaris clownfish and a frag of frogspawn coral.

I have to stop back at my LFS tomorrow to pick up coral food and amino acid.

The frogspawn coral looks like it came out of a pretty established tank. I inspected it and an aiptasia hitchhiker bit the dust - otherwise I put it in as is to help add some biodiversity to the tank.

Also, I miss having a decent camera for photos. I must get one.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0986.JPG

• Like 2

Just be careful dosing the amino's and coral food into such a new tank. Do it at say 1/4 of recommended dosing. And let your tank adjust to it slowly.

as far as amminos the only time I've introduced amino dosing is when acro colour starts to go south. Or on a bigger tank when water changes are a bit further apart than these nano tanks.

reef roids and the brs product I forget what it's called we're actually studied and showed to be the two best products that produced results. But again introduced anything new that may create more nutrients slowly. I made the mistake on my nano and brought on a cyano outbreak!

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, gogeta said:

Just be careful dosing the amino's and coral food into such a new tank. Do it at say 1/4 of recommended dosing. And let your tank adjust to it slowly.

as far as amminos the only time I've introduced amino dosing is when acro colour starts to go south. Or on a bigger tank when water changes are a bit further apart than these nano tanks.

reef roids and the brs product I forget what it's called we're actually studied and showed to be the two best products that produced results. But again introduced anything new that may create more nutrients slowly. I made the mistake on my nano and brought on a cyano outbreak!

Thanks for the reminder :) I had actually forgotten that it will change with a new tank and not much coral!

Here are the ones I will be using, from memory it was one drop every second day:
https://www.aquariumgallery.com.au/collections/coral-food-1/products/korallen-zucht-amino-acid-high-concentrate
https://www.aquariumgallery.com.au/products/korallen-zucht-pohls-coral-vitalizer

I'll check when I go in and chat to them.  They have reef-roids in stock so I'll find out what they think :)

9 minutes ago, tunagirll said:

Thanks for the reminder :) I had actually forgotten that it will change with a new tank and not much coral!

Here are the ones I will be using, from memory it was one drop every second day:
https://www.aquariumgallery.com.au/collections/coral-food-1/products/korallen-zucht-amino-acid-high-concentrate
https://www.aquariumgallery.com.au/collections/coral-food-1/products/korallen-zucht-aminoacid-lps

I'll check when I go in and chat to them.  They have reef-roids in stock so I'll find out what they think :)

Those products your using are decent as far as I know. Haha yeah learn from my mistake. Ease into it the system is just getting used to increase bio-load. So increasing more with dosing supplements could lead to problems if you don't do it slow. Also your aware of brs 52 weeks or reefing? I think week 39 was the coral feeding one. Good watch

Just now, gogeta said:

Those products your using are decent as far as I know. Haha yeah learn from my mistake. Ease into it the system is just getting used to increase bio-load. So increasing more with dosing supplements could lead to problems if you don't do it slow. Also your aware of brs 52 weeks or reefing? I think week 39 was the coral feeding one. Good watch

I'm not but if you could point me in the right direction, that would be great!

Just now, tunagirll said:

I'm not but if you could point me in the right direction, that would be great!

Oh great watch on YouTube just google brs 52 weeks of reefing. Basically step by step building and progress and every aspect of a new tank for 52 weeks. 

Thanks for the suggestion - I enjoyed the videos :) Although the voice became grating after a while!

I'm feeling a bit bummed as I don't think I will get a pistol shrimp anytime soon; looks like they are very rare here. There was one recently FS on the east coast from over $200. So... now I am thinking about what other options. Especially since the sand bed is pretty generous right now, I should maybe look at something to help keep it clean. Apart from the pistol shrimp, which is probably more expensive by the gram than cocaine! lol

RayWhisperer

Your from canadia, right? I can't imagine a common type pistol going for that much, even in canadia. Other options might include a jawfish. However, neither a jawfish, nor a pistol, will work the whole sandbed. For that you'll need hermits, nassaris, and ceriths. 

Edit. Forgot this was liters. That makes it right around 10 gallons. Not a good size for a jawfish. Nor any puffer species, btw. considering the tank size, and the fact you already have 2 clowns, I'd suggest no further fish.

8 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Your from canadia, right? I can't imagine a common type pistol going for that much, even in canadia. Other options might include a jawfish. However, neither a jawfish, nor a pistol, will work the whole sandbed. For that you'll need hermits, nassaris, and ceriths. 

Edit. Forgot this was liters. That makes it right around 10 gallons. Not a good size for a jawfish. Nor any puffer species, btw. considering the tank size, and the fact you already have 2 clowns, I'd suggest no further fish.

Australia :) Howdy!

Yes clowns are the main critters - a pistol shrimp and small goby, and a Pom Pom, to finish the tank. 

If I do look at a puffer like the leopard Toby or valentini, it would be with the tank much more established and with a plan to upgrade the tank to a 95L. In this tank it would only be if I wasn't able to source a pistol/goby pair, and with only one clown, not two. I wouldn't want to split the clowns, so of course I would have to get the bigger tank. So they can still be together. ;)

I've not heard of jawfish- off to go see what they are. 

Tank update:
Water is great - 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite, about 2 nitrate. I put a small bag of carbon and phoszorb in.

Fed the clowns, who are bright and hungry.

Added a drop of coral food and amino for the week.

I've marked the 'top up' line on the side of the tank, and this gets topped back up with distilled daily.

I've changed my wave maker to a standing wave format, which still keeps everything moving in the tank but is a little less agressive motion wise on the clown and coral.

I also enjoyed seeing pods scampering about on the back wall near the rock work :)

Nothing else to do for the next few weeks but keep an eye on things, do a couple of water changes and try not to look at the corals at my LFS!

Good news :)

I found a store with a couple of shrimp/goby pairs in stock!

Trying to decide which one to get. One is a yellow watchman goby with what looks like it may be a tiger shrimp, although these guys have been at the store for a couple months and the owner says that the tiger is pretty quiet. The other is what I think is an eyebrow shrimp goby, with what looks like A. oschrostriatus. Both are juveniles about an inch, same as my clowns.

They won't hold stock for me, but I know they've been at that store for several months, so pretty good chance they will still be there next month.

Thoughts welcomed!

• Like 1

Kids :)

We are now the proud parents of two small hermit crabs, called Crabby and Hermes. Hopefully they are not murderous. 

One clownfish now now has the rather interesting name of Affie Dopper. I will have to work to give the other one an equally fancy name ?

Added a couple more frags - a local Acan lord, Echinophyllia and green star polyp as an island. The GSP also arrived with what looks like a small black and white brittle starfish. I can see its legs peeking out. 

40% water change today. 

Parameters: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2 nitrate

• Like 2

Power outage! :o

Apparently should be back on in three hours. I've wrapped the tank in a blanket and I am about to let my boss know I will be in a couple hours late. Feeling a bit traumatised - outages are the reason I moved from the country to the metro area. I nearly lost my old tank to day long outages. I do not have a generator here though :( 

I was complaining about the house being too warm from hearing this morning right before it went out - well I am not complaining now!!!

8 minutes ago, gogeta said:

Do you have a battery air pump? If not go grab one should only be $30 at the most 

I don't but I will have one shortly! I have hydrogen peroxide here in the meantime.. the significant other is already looking for a UPS for the system. I feel a bit anxious but the tank looks fine so far.

So I dropped into my LFS... and it turned out they had a fresh batch of local clams in stock! Now I know they do better in a more established tank, but it was impossible to pass up taking home one of those babies. They are aquacultured by a local legend called Acro Al, from... eggs? Don't be too harsh; I tried to head myself off at the pass by picking out a nice blasto frag, another Acan lord frag and some chalice, but when I opened my mouth to get them it seems my brain was absent and said crocea instead!

I brought home a 4cm blue Crocea, which I've settled down at sand level, seated on top of a small piece of rubble it will hopefully anchor to over the next few weeks. It has been quite fun watching it shuffle into a comfortable position! I have a few spots for it higher up that should suit, later on. I have pics, they are not mine but from Acro Al and the LFS:

20375736_1246637958798070_6495381702903955450_n.thumb.jpg.97e8f52c474e1055b68d2aa7944c5132.jpg

Here are the frags I have introduced to the tank:

Acan lord

15134762_1126413104094663_4878109943913346575_n.thumb.jpg.1b60dacb29d07a2bcfae4d54c784252c.jpg

My smaller frag piece came from the same chalice as this one:

20881900_1374581099277861_8553204091897806541_n.thumb.jpg.62d931e5ebfed5862aaad2b6d1656bd1.jpg

I also picked up a small elegance coral (green with green, purple tips) which is tucked away under cover and seems happy there.

I have a piece of coral that I can't identify, it was listed as Porites but I don't think it is. Either way, it is a very happy camper on top of the rock and it's glued on now! :D

The LFS also had some lovely gonis in blue but I want to try to avoid making the tank very fussy.

Our clownfish Affie and Ezio are doing well, along with Crabby and Hermes (go figure) and I am still waiting and hoping to see a pistol shrimp soon.

I'm enjoying seeing some more reef life popping around, more pods, a few tiny random crustaceans, and the sand bed is showing activity with a little trapped gas.

I'll try to get a FTS with a better setting.

• Like 4

Updates :)

40% water change today, gave the bed a little vac.

Diatom bloom is fading, have a little bit of green on the rocks now thanks to extra feeding this week and skipping water change last weekend.

Clam is happy as a ...clam

All the corals look good

Clownfish and hermits are happy

Waiting for test kit to finish cooking results :)

Anxiously checking local coral gatherer every 5 minutes to see if they found me a pistol shrimp lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gogeta said:

We were also promised a FTS!!

Nothing slips past you :D

Stole a camera to take a shot, not sure how to operate theirs but managed to amend the blue in editing.

Affie and Ezio being nosy in front!

P1010058.jpg

• Like 4