Coral Vue Hydros

22g Mr Aqua AIO - new photos 5/12

Tamberav

3 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Second picture down, what is that yellow/orange piece on the left? 

Tank is looking great, btw, looks like everything is doing well!

Pink lemonade...growing at a snail's pace :somber: but it colored up pretty crazy.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Pink lemonade...growing at a snail's pace :somber: but it colored up pretty crazy.

Wow! My pink lemonade looks very different. But it does have the slow growth in common. In fact, I'm just now seeing a ton of encrusting from it which is usually just before it starts to sprout out and up. I had the same thing happen with my strawberry shortcake, which looks like it'll be a colony in no time flat. 

3 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Wow! My pink lemonade looks very different. But it does have the slow growth in common. In fact, I'm just now seeing a ton of encrusting from it which is usually just before it starts to sprout out and up. I had the same thing happen with my strawberry shortcake, which looks like it'll be a colony in no time flat. 

My shortcake is also super slow. Then my rainbow bright is growing really fast. 😛

• Like 1
CalvinKlein

I really love this tank. Keep up with the updates! You have inspired me to get back to reefing after a 3 year hiatus and setup a tank with similar dimensions!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

I really love this tank. Keep up with the updates! You have inspired me to get back to reefing after a 3 year hiatus and setup a tank with similar dimensions!

Oh wow thank you :blush: Welcome back to the addiction!

Would love to follow a thread if you start one. I like seeing what everyone does with the 'long' tanks.

So I kind of don't have room but picked up:

Walt Disney

Aqua Delight Acro

RR Applejacks

replacement PC Rainbow (I had one but lost it, I think a spaghetti worm was smothering it at night)

I may have to start growing a bunch off stuff off the bare bottom.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

So I kind of don't have room but picked up:

Walt Disney

Aqua Delight Acro

RR Applejacks

replacement PC Rainbow (I had one but lost it, I think a spaghetti worm was smothering it at night)

I may have to start growing a bunch off stuff off the bare bottom.

I think you might have more sps than me! 

😳

Awesome tank btw!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Asureef said:

I think you might have more sps than me! 

😳

Awesome tank btw!

Thank you.

I need to chill and my wallet would thank me for it. I counted 36 SPS I think which is crazy for someone who loves xenia 😛

I went to go buy Walt Disney yesterday but bought two corals and then got two free ones soooo... It fills up fast with the generosity of local reefers lol

Maybe just buy a SC orange passion and then let everything grow. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Ok, I clearly need to click through//follow all your journals bc you're pulling out all the stops.

Lol...I have an addiction! I wanted ALL the corals so a tank for each. NPS is next :ninja:

• Wow 1

My glass is dirty (waiting for new flipper blade to be delivered).... but I am relaxing on the couch watching the tank 🙂 It's great

47946523812_58f7aa8550_o.gif

• Like 8

My whites are only on 2 hours a day, going to raise this slowly to 4 hours, 30 min added per week and monitor. I meant to raise them a long time ago but with low nutrients I didn't want to change more than 1 thing at a time and risk stressing everything out. If all looks good and stable, I will slowly increase length of the blues and go from there. I am hoping this will increase growth.

I feel currently I have a fairly short photo period..... but hey I try and be patient and not do anything too crazy since color is good and corals are alive. I am in no rush to get to the finish. I guess the goal would be 10-12 hour total of some sort of blues but only peak of about 4-6 hours. 

Current settings: 

Blue LED (100%): 7 hours total

Blue T5: 6 hours total

Lime/white LED (40%): 2 hours total

I have also been hand dosing all my alk/ca needs in the morning this entire time, about 3 days ago I got the doser properly set up. I had it set up a few weeks ago but kept getting air in the tubing causing inaccurate doses, I swapped from normal airline to silicone tubing and the problem seems to be fixed. Spreading out the alk dosing seems more ideal than dumping it all in. 

Alk demands have been slowly increasing since getting nutrients up (yay). Increased by 2ml since May 17th. 

Alk 5/27: 7.28 (set up doser, doses every hour during photo period, nothing at night)

Alk 5/30: 7.33

Seems right so far 👍

• Like 1
On 5/27/2019 at 7:20 PM, Tamberav said:

My glass is dirty (waiting for new flipper blade to be delivered).... but I am relaxing on the couch watching the tank 🙂 It's great

47946523812_58f7aa8550_o.gif

Tank looks great!! 😃

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

This thread needs more updates! Did you get any new corals or fish recently?

Nothing new...I have no room for fish or corals lol... I will just get a SC orange passion and maybe a homewrecker just to see what all the fuss is about and be done.

I did get a burst of growth from increasing the white led from 2 to 4 hours which sucked my Nitrate from 5 to 0 and I saw dino laughing at me again.

After my last run with dino I bought a used UV sterilizer so I was laughing back.

Haven't been home during lights on but pretty sure all the dino got murdered in 12 hours.

I will pull the UV off if all looks good. I dosed Nitrate back up already.

Oddly the acros we're not effected by the dino but the birdsnests looked horrible so they are in my 25g temp for refuge. They look fine now so I will move them back if all is clear.

Growth didn't slow with the dino...oddly.

AquaUV sterilizer hanging on the side all janky like...rated for 150g saltwater...don't #### with me dino! 

MVIMG_20190708_224714.thumb.jpg.bd91ffaa3111f0289377663ab7066598.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

Glad you got the dino under control!

Planning to setup a tank like yours but maybe end of the year. How often do you wc? 

Weekly when the tank was young but now every two weeks. I mostly just do it to replace trace minerals at this point.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Going to be adding more powerheads to turn down flow on the gyre so I can add sand back. I dosed nitrate and within 24 hours it was back to 0. I don't like chasing Nitrate and hoping the sand bed will trap enough nutrients to bring it up. I even went a month without a water change and fed powdered food for the corals but that brought up my PO4 slightly and didn't even touch my Nitrate. Will probably just add sand slowly, no fast changes. 

There hasn't been any dino even at 0 since I used the UV for a week but colors pale and growth slows at 0 Nitrate. 

• Like 2