Top Shelf Aquatics

22g Mr Aqua AIO - new photos 5/12

Tamberav

Well bout damn time I see some Nitrate finally. The lightest pink but some pink instead of clear!... 0.25 which is better than 0!

I did find the tiniest patch of Cyano too though <_< Mayhaps form the extra feeding, high organics? who knows... I brushed it away. Also found a tiny spot of bryopsis, zapped it with peroxide. 

NO3: 0.25

Po4: 0.02

I have a kit coming to check the accuracy of my hanna checker so will test alk after I confirm my checker is working correctly. It would have been here but delayed due to bad weather. 

Guys I screwed up! I used too much peroxide on the bryopsis. My oregon tort is like 4-5 inched above that spot. I woke up to my tort all browned out with almost no polyp extension :tears: It went from the most healthy acro to the worst. I didn't use THAT much peroxide but I am guessing since its above the spot... and peroxide bubbles up.... yeah...

Ofc these things happen to our most expensive corals... I hope it can recover. 

Nothing else was done to the tank except the water change and peroxide. I did not even change my media. I am positive this was the problem, the other acros look fine since they weren't in the path. Ugh... it was growing so fast for a oregon tort too... :slap:

• 1 month later...

So my Midas Blenny was getting skinny and I noticed him eating a little than spitting out the food. Tried a bunch of different foods and found he gobbled down flake, fed flake for a week or so then weaned him onto LRS which he is eating good now so we are out of the clear.

However, I made a boo-boo... I noticed one of the acro's started to brown out and some turned a brighter green. I have not fed flake food in years and forgot how much PO4 is in flake food and spiked it up 0.1 when I tested.

I brought it back down over several days with a small amount of PO4 remover and removed it when I hit 0.02...then put some cheato in the back chamber

I am only using Carbon and Cheato atm for filtration (besides floss). Going to keep a better eye on water parameters. 

I added a starkii damsel and a cleaner shrimp.

NItrates are 0.50

Alk has been hovering around a steady 9. I bought the Hanna Alk calibration vials and it shows the alk checker to be performing properly. Coral is visibly growing but slow.

I am going to borrow a PAR meter from the local club and try and get my lights dialed in. I think it will help me greatly as I have no other tanks to really compare to as my light is a custom job. 

I was bummed about spiking the PO4 but was reading TOTM threads and re-read teenyreefs TOTM and how he spiked po4 and had some swings and disasters in his 10g. Made me feel better, no one is perfect right? :biggrin:

• 4 months later...

Long overdue update... family medical issues put a lot of stress on me and took a lot of my free time away (started working full time to cover the extra bills)... and just lost motivation for awhile and tanks went without water changes and got some GHA and all that jazz.

It's all over now (other than working full time!) and everything is okay right now. So getting the tanks back on track and finding joy in them again. I manually removed all the GHA, this tank didn't suffer too much... probably crappy growth?? No idea since scarce changes and no dosing... and a PC rainbow STN (was already looking bad before all this though). The LPS, rock flower nem's and zoa's didnt die, they are in my other tank although they suffered from lack of light in that tank (since light broke) and need their own type of recovery too.

I have done two water changes since neglecting it and removed the sand bed since it was gross at this point, I may not replace it, I hated how it limited my flow. 

I added 3 new browned out corals from the LFS today... the middle brown poop is a rainbow monti, there is a stick of poop to the right that is a bird of paradise and a semi-poop brown/red monti cap. The dark rock is also new and the snails have not found it yet.

Midas blenny was bullying clowns so he got replace with a sixeline wrasse. No one gets to bully the clowns!! 😡

Over-all tank is in good shape for me neglecting it. Excuse the pics... took them during water change... 

45129881451_bf54ce51d2_c.jpg

I also bought a top for it, it comes in puzzle pieces you put together (cheaper than buying it whole), it works great! Cat's can't knock this one off. 

43316574690_7e3336952d_c.jpg

43316574220_30e7fcf36e_c.jpg

And did get some growth during my neglect

25962877367_682f18e7ac_n.jpg 44218023915_6cde194a7b_n.jpg

40184239634_65e22a6257_n.jpg45080925562_e67d662cb8_n.jpg

We also got a new F3 Snow Mink Bengal kitten... he is a very smart boy and he loves to rough house but does not use his claws when pouncing on me, such a sweety. 

45080925662_378942dda1_c.jpg

44438889222_33492f8ec9_c.jpg

29394671237_ea092b511b_c.jpg

44488032701_90127fd930_c.jpg

30461595758_09e92786a4_c.jpg

44409149374_345240026a_c.jpg

44280429232_3f5e79201f_c.jpg

• Like 8

Awww what a cutie! And I love watching poppy corals turn into pretty corals. You got some good ones 🙂

That top is cool! How do you like it and where did you get it? 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Long overdue update... family medical issues put a lot of stress on me and took a lot of my free time away (started working full time to cover the extra bills)... and just lost motivation for awhile and tanks went without water changes and got some GHA and all that jazz.

It's all over now (other than working full time!) and everything is okay right now. So getting the tanks back on track and finding joy in them again. I manually removed all the GHA, this tank didn't suffer too much... probably crappy growth?? No idea since scarce changes and no dosing... and a PC rainbow STN (was already looking bad before all this though). The LPS, rock flower nem's and zoa's didnt die, they are in my other tank although they suffered from lack of light in that tank (since light broke) and need their own type of recovery too.

I have done two water changes since neglecting it and removed the sand bed since it was gross at this point, I may not replace it, I hated how it limited my flow. 

I added 3 new browned out corals from the LFS today... the middle brown poop is a rainbow monti, there is a stick of poop to the right that is a bird of paradise and a semi-poop brown/red monti cap. The dark rock is also new and the snails have not found it yet.

Midas blenny was bullying clowns so he got replace with a sixeline wrasse. No one gets to bully the clowns!! 😡

Over-all tank is in good shape for me neglecting it. Excuse the pics... took them during water change... 

45129881451_bf54ce51d2_c.jpg

I also bought a top for it, it comes in puzzle pieces you put together (cheaper than buying it whole), it works great! Cat's can't knock this one off. 

43316574690_7e3336952d_c.jpg

43316574220_30e7fcf36e_c.jpg

And did get some growth during my neglect

25962877367_682f18e7ac_n.jpg 44218023915_6cde194a7b_n.jpg

40184239634_65e22a6257_n.jpg45080925562_e67d662cb8_n.jpg

We also got a new F3 Snow Mink Bengal kitten... he is a very smart boy and he loves to rough house but does not use his claws when pouncing on me, such a sweety. 

45080925662_378942dda1_c.jpg

44438889222_33492f8ec9_c.jpg

29394671237_ea092b511b_c.jpg

44488032701_90127fd930_c.jpg

30461595758_09e92786a4_c.jpg

44409149374_345240026a_c.jpg

44280429232_3f5e79201f_c.jpg

Tank looks good. 

And the kitties are beautiful🙂

• Like 1
On 10/6/2018 at 5:07 PM, teenyreef said:

Awww what a cutie! And I love watching poppy corals turn into pretty corals. You got some good ones 🙂

That top is cool! How do you like it and where did you get it? 

Sorry for late reply, I forget to check my own threads.

Thanks, my tanks are sort of the slowest build ever but finally adding some more things lol. Picked up a green purple rim monti today to put next to the red one (I can't just go to the store and only get fish food, that never works). Was tempted to get a green goblin acro but maybe next time.

It is a Tsunami top from artfully acrylic. It is cheaper since they can ship in pieces and you can swap peices out if you ever wanted to change something, like add a feeding door or a notch for a cord, ect. They have them for most tanks now or you can get a custom one for oddball tanks like what I have. I forgot what its made from but not acrylic and shouldn't warp. 

On 10/6/2018 at 5:12 PM, Clown79 said:

Tank looks good. 

And the kitties are beautiful🙂

Thanks Clown! 

On 10/7/2018 at 5:10 PM, YHSublime said:

Tank is looking good all things considered. That poor dog is handling new kitty well 😉 You'll like it without sand better, I know I did!

haha yeah... he dogs tail is one of the kitties favorite play things. I should take a video sometimes, the dog just sits there and lets the kitten chew on his face... I think he likes the attention even if its teeth and claws.

I can see a pile of poop that formed in one spot... water change is tonight though so I'll fix that!

So just been testing to figure out alk consumption and doing my regular water changes. I deep cleaned all my pumps and when I turned them on... they ofc worked better and my once glued monti cap plate came flying off the rock and rolled right into the nem and raindbow monti. Ofc it got stung and I can now see flesh blistering and peeling off. Bummer!! I hope it can recover. 

• Sad 2

Stupid me... LED's had stopped working for idk how long.. probably just a few days... found out the issue was a simple fix (power cord) but took a few days to figure it out with work and all... I had to pull out the couch to swap the cord, kitten ofc saw this as a super cool area to play and attack shadows... put the couch back... today I finally notice two of my t5's are now off. Well there is a manual switch to them behind the couch. My kitten must have turned a pair of them off. So they have been off.. awhile.. like Since Sep 26th awhile!! I know I know.. how could I not notice? Well life is hectic and I am at work for long shifts so I don't see those peak lights come on most of the time. I notice today because it was my day off and I just happened to look up in the light fixture... the LED's and remaining t5's are bright enough its honestly hard to tell they are off by looking at the tank.

Well some of my acro's had kind of started to brown/go dark... I couldn't figure out why. Mystery solved. 

Stupid acro's.... 😜 I will never get them to perfect colors... it's always something lol

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
16 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Stupid me... LED's had stopped working for idk how long.. probably just a few days... found out the issue was a simple fix (power cord) but took a few days to figure it out with work and all... I had to pull out the couch to swap the cord, kitten ofc saw this as a super cool area to play and attack shadows... put the couch back... today I finally notice two of my t5's are now off. Well there is a manual switch to them behind the couch. My kitten must have turned a pair of them off. So they have been off.. awhile.. like Since Sep 26th awhile!! I know I know.. how could I not notice? Well life is hectic and I am at work for long shifts so I don't see those peak lights come on most of the time. I notice today because it was my day off and I just happened to look up in the light fixture... the LED's and remaining t5's are bright enough its honestly hard to tell they are off by looking at the tank.

Well some of my acro's had kind of started to brown/go dark... I couldn't figure out why. Mystery solved. 

Stupid acro's.... 😜 I will never get them to perfect colors... it's always something lol

Oops. I've left my heater unplugged for days after tank maintenance. Including in winter. Oops!

• Wow 1

Welp I am going to treat with fluconazole for bryopsis, always had a little of that feathery crap but it got out of hand a little on one side of the tank when I neglected the tank over summer. I tried peroxide before but that really pissed off the SPS near the treatment spot and it came back anyways.

Water changes are soo easy now guys... the poo piles into one tiny spot and can just suck it out instantly. No regrets with the bare bottom so far. I even see some coralline algae growing on the bottom in one spot. 

Everything looking good besides my poor stung monti. The birdsnest is already throwing out branches and the flesh is turning green although the polyps are still small and poopy. I will try to get some pics soon. 

10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oops. I've left my heater unplugged for days after tank maintenance. Including in winter. Oops!

My heater on the QT tank died on me while the wrasse were in there, I was like WHY IS THE WATER SO COLD when I stuck my hand in to change the filters. Dead dead neotherm, at least it didn't blow up. 

• Like 4

My tanks got neglected this summer, too. I don't think I'd touched the tanks in 2 months other than adding water to top off and a few pinches of food every few days. 

Glad things have calmed down and you're getting them back on track! Looking good!!

Some new photos just to keep track of growth/progress. Polyp extension sucks and color isn't completely there yet. I think I may be blasting them but also getting shading because the light is so high. I have some new bulbs on the way as mine are 10 months old now. I plan to use only 2 of the T5's and lower the fixture and borrow a par meter to see where I am now and then try to better tune everything in. Bryopsis was almost completely gone in 4 days, I have some shreds hanging on. I have been testing alk everyday to figure out consumption and started dosing a little as I was slowly losing the alk battle with water changes.

Today's tests:

Alk: 8.12

Nitrate: 4

Po4: 0.027

I don't test Ca or Mg often but they run 400ish and 1400ish.

30733981507_7ceef201a3_c.jpgstrawb 

31802307728_6a54627232_c.jpgpsamma

44949847674_d97b6de1ef_c.jpgplemon

Notice polyps hiding on top of the oregon tort where the light is directly hitting it.

45674582651_8f7f702a0d_c.jpgortort 

44949856584_fa18c87f84_c.jpggreencap

Bad photo but had to take it from a weird angel to show it starting to throw branches.

44760376605_4698f4bce3_c.jpgcalitort 

BOP still brown but its growing and showing a hint of green.

44949862944_dd325b2c05_c.jpgbop 

45624072032_dc3faa76f8_c.jpgbtnem 

Fish are so hard to photograph... this is the brown/red cap that got stung (where it is missing polyps). It is healing up though.

44949850474_2ee7b8e4a1_c.jpgpclown 

44949859084_e59cb39e6e_c.jpgdotty

Sixline looking fat! He finds any stray piece of food that gets missed on the rocks and makes a pig of himself. He has proven to be a valuable member of the 'clean up crew'. 

30733986297_ca515b05bc_c.jpgsixline 

Got lucky with this shot... Starkii's are gorgeous fish!

31802300848_813fc2a2fa_c.jpgstarkii 

Zerkon demonstrating why I bought a new top... nice and sturdy. 

31802292888_1b2d2c12cd_c.jpgzcat

It's nice someone enjoys the tank as much as me even if his motives are sinister....

31802290558_6449d675c3_c.jpgzcat2 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up some more cheap stressed brownish frags to try and rescue. Sadly one RTN in the bayer dip, never had that happen before but it was the worst looking one so I think all the stress did it in. The others look okay enough though. 

Poop colored slow burn monti ??? with unknown acro that died in dip behind it 😞 I left it in the tank for now just in case some tiny speck of flesh made it. Picked up a digi booger too.

IMG_20181110_204722

Unknown grey colored acro

IMG_20181110_204806

Was told this is the mother colony it came from:

45687959_547575665688254_5889887608774852608_n

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, shaner014 said:

Nice setup! Loving that lid. I need one of those... 

I saw in teeny's thread you picked up the CAD skimmer. Any pics? Thanks!

Thanks!

Will get some tonight or tomorrow depending when I do my water change. 

• Like 1