Top Shelf Aquatics

22g Mr Aqua AIO - new photos 5/12

Tamberav

Red Dragon growing fast but looking a little pale... pretty sure its because I need more nutrients.

Have not done a water change yet this week

PO4: 0.018

Nitrate between 0 and 0.25... not nearly pink enough for 0.25 but not clear either.

I guess more coral food? More fish for fish poop?

Tests:

NO3: 0-0.25

Po4: 0.04

Alk: 8.3

Ca: 470

Mg: 1280

Extra feeding did nothing for Nitrates but got my PO4 up a little :P Going to turn off skimmer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I apologize for lack of updates, I was busy with school and because of the Flu season being so bad work is very busy and hectic as well (nurse). 

The tank is chugging along, I had not added much anything until just a few days ago, a couple acro's and some freebee's. They are sitting on the frag rack down low to adjust until I can pick out where to put them.

I did make a mistake though, I was too lax in changing my filters in my RODI unit and some diatoms and what I think is chrysophyte algae show up suddenly. As first I thought it was just young tank problems but then I tested my RODI and it was putting out 1TDS which isn't much but both diatoms and chrysophyte are silica based so I'm thinking/hoping that was the issue. New filters got replaced and I just did a 5g water change with my now 0 TDS water and dumped the top of water to replace it. I had been topping off with that water for who knows how long, yikes!

Not sure how long it will take to clear up, it isn't really that bad, a small amount of brown dusting on the sand and the chrysophytes were just beginning. Hopefully this nips it in the butt! 

On 12/6/2017 at 11:11 PM, teenyreef said:

How are things going? Still having low nutrient problems? Or did turning off the skimmer help?

Yes, I still have low nutrients :(

I did see some slight color up in the two acro's after turning off the skimmer and running 2 t5's instead of 4. I am unsure which had the effect... or maybe it was my 'bad water' adding some nitrate or something. 

Here is the test before the water change (exactly the same reading as Oct):

Nitrate 0

Phosphate 0.018

I don't know why It is so low, 4 fish should be plenty of poo!!

I dug out my reef roids and ordered some acro power since my tank seems to be chilling in a somewhat ULNS state right now. I do find plenty of spaghetti worms and fish poo in the sand bed though. 

• Like 2

Crappy cell pics :) 

39662007874_d691d44b3d_c.jpg2018-02-19_10-27-52 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Stuff hanging out on the frag rack... hopefully I don't kill them. I make no promises. :closedeyes:

For those that like names..

Oregon Tort

Cali Tort

Pink Lemonade

Strawberry Shortcake (accidental oopsie frag = freebie)

Tierra del fuego

Monti Spongodes (freebie)

Purple Death paly (trade) - these were all browned out but purpled up in my tank.. woo!

Utter Chaos paly

Not shown but was given a pink paly with green skirt (freebie) - didn't ask name, maybe space monsters?

39661995444_dbcf9c4af6_c.jpg2018-02-19_10-27-15 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Crap! Trouble in paradise!! The Cali tort had this strange dimple on the side I didn't think much about. Today I noticed some STN/RTN in that area. There is I think what looks like a vermetid snail living INSIDE the acro. I had dipped the coral but I guess it lived since it is burrowed inside and now that it is done hiding out, it is irritating the hell out of the coral. Looks like the coral is dying from the inside out because the flesh where it receded is green. 

I'm trying to decide if I should superglue over it or frag the coral?

10 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Crap! Trouble in paradise!! The Cali tort had this strange dimple on the side I didn't think much about. Today I noticed some STN/RTN in that area. There is I think what looks like a vermetid snail living INSIDE the acro. I had dipped the coral but I guess it lived since it is burrowed inside and now that it is done hiding out, it is irritating the hell out of the coral. Looks like the coral is dying from the inside out because the flesh where it receded is green. 

I'm trying to decide if I should superglue over it or frag the coral?

You could do a Bayer dip to kill the worm

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, mbarton2010 said:

You can try to put a dab of superglue over his tube. How big is the frag? I’d hate to re-frag a small frag 

It is a good sized frag (for a frag)... two inches tall. 

I took a very pointy tiny tweezers and swirled it around in his hole. I then super glued over the spot, unfortunately wouldn't you know, my superglue was glued shut and I had to cut the nozzle off and apply a glob with the tweezers. I accidentally got a small amount on the good tissue. Ugh... Hope I don't wake up to a pure white frag tomorrow after this fiasco. 

The tissue necrosis was not there this morning so it was fairly fast dilemma. The worm wasn't sticking out this morning either though. I think he has been hiding since the bayer dip. 

This frag wasn't extending its polyps very well since I got it unlike the other acro's. I was wondering why... maybe this is the cause. It's certainly all pissed off now!

Superglue: That big white area was all dead and has glue over it, and two tiny white areas above where I accidentally got some glue :furious: I probably put on too much but I was worried that bastard would find a way out. 

39537624205_b77ab034bc_c.jpgDSC_0396 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

• Like 1

Corals are doing good, still no signs of tissue necrosis on the frag I did surgery on. I accidentally fragged my red dragon again, this damn coral is so fragile. Was trying to remove a "pest" near it. This is like the 3rd time I broke a centimeter of growth off it. It is going to be a frag forever at this rate <_<

Diatoms are annoying... I guess this battle will take a few weeks though. Trying to export the existing diatoms best I can during water changes.

• Like 4

Corals look fantastic tonight! Not sure if its because I just have a white and purple bulb on atm while doing tank maintenance or what. 

Things I changed the past week: 

1. Turned the skimmer back on to help remove diatoms

2. Feed Feed Feed! Reef-roids!

3. Changed from one 10g waterchange a week to twice a week 5g water change on Monday and Friday.

Debating on if I should have zoa's and pallys on the rocks when I am doing SPS. Anyone have thoughts? Not sure if the zoas could threaten the acros eventually. Seems possible. They end up very small too due to the high lighting, they shrink! Although color is nice.

• Like 1

The tank is coming along nicely!  And good save on that acro.  :happydance:

I think you should be fine with the zoas/palys next to any sps.  It might stop some growth/encrusting at the base but no big deal imo.  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Berkay said:

What frequently ? 

I'm doing 5g on Monday and Fridays... mostly just because I'm lazy and haven't been testing Ca/Alk.

13 minutes ago, reefrook said:

does he ever take a swipe at the fish?

All the time! At least.... she smacks on the glass on the sides of the tank a lot. Hasn't swiped from the top but the fish hide mostly during the water change. She dips her paws in it sometimes... very much not afraid of water... likes when I turn on the water in the bathtub so she can play in it. She also loves to watch the toilet flush... :P

• Like 1

Plan on cutting back the amount of water I am changing each week in hopes of seeing some sort of Nitrate. Feeding isn't really doing anything for Nitrates but seems to still be helping feed the corals nonetheless. 

Ran water tests since I may need to dose at some point.

SG: 1.026

Mg: 1340

Ca: 470

Alk 9.3

Nitrate: 0

Po4: 0.01

I'm doing 5g Mon/Fri so going to try 2.5g Mon/Fri

• Like 3