Pod Your Reef

22g Mr Aqua AIO - new photos 5/12

Tamberav

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Battlecorals is only 1 hour from me, I didn't ask if I could come pick up in person though but it could save on shipping stress. Boom Corals is about 20 min and I have picked up stuff in person there which is nice. 

wow, thanks for that info.  I just looked up where he lives and it's 90 mins from me.  Maybe I will get the $200 battlebox now and pick it up instead....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Clown Car and BC Bliss need to color up after shipping or maybe because of my faulty heater. The rest look great and are encrusting. Rainbow bright is super fuzzy and damn cool... I just finally took some off the frag rack and glued them last night. Had to get them off frag plugs or cut the stem which proved difficult with an old dull saw blade so they took a little abuse. 

On his site it does say Clown Car needs an insane amount of light and 250 isn't enough so I should probably move the frag rack up. 

Any particular reason? Just like WYSIWYG and not photoshop? 😄

I started my reefing hobby in a small town with no access to any sort of coral. Everything had to be bought online or drive 2 hours. I did make the drive for the yearly frag swap though, that was always worth it. Needless to say I did a lot of shopping online, a lot of fish. I still buy fish online because DD has stuff I can't find anywhere else. I am just used to online sales now but since I have access to more in Milwaukee I actually have only ordered from battlecorals and the clams from PEA. Everything else I got local besides some fish. So if the option is there, its nice.

Battlecorals is only 1 hour from me, I didn't ask if I could come pick up in person though but it could save on shipping stress. Boom Corals is about 20 min and I have picked up stuff in person there which is nice. 

Yea, I just like to actually see corals in person when I buy them. Not just due to some vendors doctering up pics, but just to see exact size and how it'll fit where I have planned in my tank. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh my god... Dino just showed up the past few days out of nowhere. 😡 It is a different strain of dino than I had years ago. I have always struggled to keep nutrients up even with heavy feeding so I am sure that is part of the problem. I am pretty sure I introduced them when I moved the clams over. My other tank is more diverse and dirty but this one not so much...

I'm going to take a different approach and try running an over-sized UV Sterilizer for a bit and possibly seeding with some good live rock for biodiversity. Maybe employ some DIY coral snow to grab them out of the water column to make removal easier. 

• Sad 6
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Oh my god... Dino just showed up the past few days out of nowhere. 😡 It is a different strain of dino than I had years ago. I have always struggled to keep nutrients up even with heavy feeding so I am sure that is part of the problem. I am pretty sure I introduced them when I moved the clams over. My other tank is more diverse and dirty but this one not so much...

I'm going to take a different approach and try running an over-sized UV Sterilizer for a bit and possibly seeding with some good live rock for biodiversity. Maybe employ some DIY coral snow to grab them out of the water column to make removal easier. 

Noooooo :angry:

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Noooooo :angry:

How was your KPA in terms of how dense the rock was? How much life survived being shipped?

Trying to decide btw KPA and TBS rock. I was going to buy a box for the frag tank anyways so good opportunity to add some diversity. 

I had gulf live rock before, lots of life but very dense. 

18 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Oh man,that is no good !!! Hopefully the sterilizer works. I've never had Dino's but I have had Bryopsis..and that was absolutely terrible 😰..

Won't lie....Its the worst thing ever... and toxic to corals. I can see it causing issues with the SPS already. 

• Sad 2

Ugh!  Dinos suck!  I just got a pack of pods and live phyto from Algae Barn to add to the IM14 in an effort to combat those buggers.  They haven't yet (knock on wood) grown out of control like they did in the jar.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Ugh!  Dinos suck!  I just got a pack of pods and live phyto from Algae Barn to add to the IM14 in an effort to combat those buggers.  They haven't yet (knock on wood) grown out of control like they did in the jar.

19 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

best of luck with fighting this!  

They are monsters!

Image result for fire meme

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1

So haven't hooked up the UV yet... Having problems finding the parts I need for plumbing locally that are not brass. I do see the parts carried online at drfoster and brs though. 

However the dino is disappearing without the UV. I have been turkey basting it to send it into the water column during the day and at night it goes into the water on it's own (a specific type of dino does this). 

I have been changing my floss frequently as it catches it and dosing food grade calcium carbonate (home made KZ Coral Snow) which helps grab debris...or in this case dino...out of the water column to be caught by foss and the skimmer. I also cranked up my flow to try and blow it off the rocks.

I didn't take many pics....when I got home that day from work and saw it on everything.... I basically instantly attacked the dino like a rabid dog with a turkey baster.

Coral wise most everything is alive but some missing bits of flesh where the dino was smothering it. It is most niticible on my psammacora. I have attached a pic and you can see dead white tips and there's random spots at the base.

I only did a 1 day lights off and one mili bleached (not rtn but actual bleaching). So hopefully it will recover.

Some dino forming on a clam after I blew it off... it kinda looks like cyano in its early stages but def dino. I did the paper towel test but it also gets snotty/stringy as the spot grows bigger. 

IMG_20190110_180540.jpg

DIY Coral Snow thanks to @jedimasterben  🙂 It is pretty shocking how crystal clear the water can look after using this stuff. 

IMG_20190110_181127.jpg

Bad pic but you can see some dead flesh with a tiny amount of dino still clinging on after I blasted it into the water. You can see the bleached mili behind it. 😞

MVIMG_20190115_043432.jpg

My skimmer has been pulling out so much dino/garbage with the use of the KZ Coral Snow.

IMG_20190118_023535.jpg

My nutrients came up a bit which is great. Po4 was 0.07 and Nitrate 5ish or possibly more, I didn't do the high range test.

I did do my weekly water change yesterday but am now using Red Sea Blue Bucket on this tank after Mg getting so high with Fritz. So we'll see today when the lights come on....if the water change causes the tank to explode with dino. 

• Like 3

Just a scant amount of dino left in the DT so I guess I can save myself some $$ and return this UV. Mostly it's just congregating in the filter floss but less and less.

Got lucky if this stays away fingerscrossed

• Like 2

Wow, way to go in acting so quick.  I have come to believe that its lack of diversity and low/no nutrients that encourages dinos.  That is only my theory however from reading accounts of it.  I have never had dinos but I have been using the same LR since the 90s. I am guessing I have good diversity and my tanks are always high nutrient. I applaud your quick action and hope your efforts are rewarded with no permanent damage to anything.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

Wow, way to go in acting so quick.  I have come to believe that its lack of diversity and low/no nutrients that encourages dinos.  That is only my theory however from reading accounts of it.  I have never had dinos but I have been using the same LR since the 90s. I am guessing I have good diversity and my tanks are always high nutrient. I applaud your quick action and hope your efforts are rewarded with no permanent damage to anything.

Thanks! I totally agree with you, I lost much of my diversity on my rock in my last move as I left the rock in a bin and no light with a powerhead for a long time. I am working on setting up a frag tank and would like to order live rock for the frag tank and to seed my other tanks to bring that diversity back.

I am going to continue with the coral snow which should catch any floaters in the water at night to pull them out. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Thanks! I totally agree with you, I lost much of my diversity on my rock in my last move as I left the rock in a bin and no light with a powerhead for a long time. I am working on setting up a frag tank and would like to order live rock for the frag tank and to seed my other tanks to bring that diversity back.

I am going to continue with the coral snow which should catch any floaters in the water at night to pull them out. 

I'm fascinated by the coral snow helping pull out the dinos lol.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm fascinated by the coral snow helping pull out the dinos lol.

The KZ stuff is too rich for my blood but I am basically just using chalk powder, super absorbent to grab whatever is in the water column to be filtered out. It won't help with what is on the rocks and not all dino behaves the same but I basically was just blasting it off the rocks/coral and then using DIY Coral Snow to help the skimmer/floss remove it. It is best used at night for dino as that is when some types of dino go into the water column.

The after effect is amazingly crystal clear water and a very dirty skimmer/floss.

My idea for using it was for manual removal to keep it under control from killing all the coral. Meanwhile raising nutrients and adding bacteria. 

What works for one person doesn't always work for the next when it comes to dino, that is for sure. Maybe because there are so many different strains. 

4 minutes ago, spectra said:

Did you happen to get in the grow out over on R2R ?

I have a battlebox showing up soon.........cant wait.

I had planned to but did not get in on it because of the dino, it showed up a day or two after I said I wanted to join! I didn't want to buy a bunch of coral then kill it all. I am kinda bummed, I wanted that shag priority. 

• Like 2

Wow, seems like it’s Dino season. Still battling mine.

Didnt know anything about coral snow until now. It binds organic matter to be easily skimmed out?

Best of luck . I also can’t keep nutrients up.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Wow, seems like it’s Dino season. Still battling mine.

Didnt know anything about coral snow until now. It binds organic matter to be easily skimmed out?

Best of luck . I also can’t keep nutrients up.

Correct!

Why can't I get the glowing kind of dino 😛 I wouldn't be so unhappy about it. 

Image result for dinoflagellate glowing

oo just 8 bucks? tempting! A mini complete with glowing dino! 

https://www.carolina.com/algae/bioluminescent-dinoflagellates-living/153305.pr

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The KZ stuff is too rich for my blood but I am basically just using chalk powder, super absorbent to grab whatever is in the water column to be filtered out. It won't help with what is on the rocks and not all dino behaves the same but I basically was just blasting it off the rocks/coral and then using DIY Coral Snow to help the skimmer/floss remove it. It is best used at night for dino as that is when some types of dino go into the water column.

The after effect is amazingly crystal clear water and a very dirty skimmer/floss.

My idea for using it was for manual removal to keep it under control from killing all the coral. Meanwhile raising nutrients and adding bacteria. 

What works for one person doesn't always work for the next when it comes to dino, that is for sure. Maybe because there are so many different strains. 

I had planned to but did not get in on it because of the dino, it showed up a day or two after I said I wanted to join! I didn't want to buy a bunch of coral then kill it all. I am kinda bummed, I wanted that shag priority. 

Sorry to hear.....

The shag is what I went with......

Told Adam I like fuzzy acros so will be interested to see what else shows up. I did ask for a frag of the shiznopolis or whatever it's called......one insane fuzzy milli. 

14 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Correct!

Why can't I get the glowing kind of dino 😛 I wouldn't be so unhappy about it. 

Image result for dinoflagellate glowing

oo just 8 bucks? tempting! A mini complete with glowing dino! 

https://www.carolina.com/algae/bioluminescent-dinoflagellates-living/153305.pr

A while back I saw a company selling as "pets" some sort of glowy things in a glass container, I wonder if it was these guys?

5 minutes ago, spectra said:

Sorry to hear.....

The shag is what I went with......

Told Adam I like fuzzy acros so will be interested to see what else shows up. I did ask for a frag of the shiznopolis or whatever it's called......one insane fuzzy milli. 

Ya, I will just have to get a shag in the next order when the tank is stable again. I wanted some hairy stuff too. Look forward to seeing what you get! That shiznopolis sunset milli looks great too! 

10 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

A while back I saw a company selling as "pets" some sort of glowy things in a glass container, I wonder if it was these guys?

Duno! I remember those DinoPets too. I think that might have been a kickstarter though. 

7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya, I will just have to get a shag in the next order when the tank is stable again. I wanted some hairy stuff too. Look forward to seeing what you get! That shiznopolis sunset milli looks great too! 

Duno! I remember those DinoPets too. I think that might have been a kickstarter though. 

I think it was!

https://www.popsci.com/bioluminescent-dino-pet

Looks like it's sold out everywhere.  Wonder if we add these to our tanks will they outcompete the bad dino? :lol:

• Haha 1