SaltCritters.com

22g Mr Aqua AIO - new photos 5/12

Tamberav

On 12.03.2018 at 8:23 AM, Tamberav said:

Plan on cutting back the amount of water I am changing each week in hopes of seeing some sort of Nitrate. Feeding isn't really doing anything for Nitrates but seems to still be helping feed the corals nonetheless. 

Ran water tests since I may need to dose at some point.

SG: 1.026

Mg: 1340

Ca: 470

Alk 9.3

Nitrate: 0

Po4: 0.01

I'm doing 5g Mon/Fri so going to try 2.5g Mon/Fri

Your nitrate and phosphate are very low. I want to ask; do you use bacteria like prodibio biodigest , or aquaforest pro bio s ... 

People says theese products can decrease nitrate and phosphate. So ıf thats already 0 , is it hazardous effect ? 

Or dont think like that , only use like every a month. :) ? 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Berkay said:

Your nitrate and phosphate are very low. I want to ask; do you use bacteria like prodibio biodigest , or aquaforest pro bio s ... 

People says theese products can decrease nitrate and phosphate. So ıf thats already 0 , is it hazardous effect ? 

I don't use anything but water changes, filter floss, and some BRS rox carbon since I still have softies in here. The PO4 I like around 0.02 so close to that give or take the error of the test. Nitrate is an issue so going to change half as much water as I normally do and see what happens.

On 3/11/2018 at 10:23 PM, Tamberav said:

Plan on cutting back the amount of water I am changing each week in hopes of seeing some sort of Nitrate. Feeding isn't really doing anything for Nitrates but seems to still be helping feed the corals nonetheless. 

Ran water tests since I may need to dose at some point.

SG: 1.026

Mg: 1340

Ca: 470

Alk 9.3

Nitrate: 0

Po4: 0.01

I'm doing 5g Mon/Fri so going to try 2.5g Mon/Fri

What salt do you use?

and how much does your alk fluctuate by from after a water change to right before one?

7 hours ago, reefrook said:

What salt do you use?

and how much does your alk fluctuate by from after a water change to right before one?

RPM Fritz Salt

I will have to get back to you on Alk, just started testing for it. Didn't bother before since I didn't have much for SPS previously. 

35 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

RPM Fritz Salt

I will have to get back to you on Alk, just started testing for it. Didn't bother before since I didn't have much for SPS previously. 

I use the same salt.  I love how I don't have to dose my water changes since the params are perfect with each mix.  I just dose enough to keep my alk steady.  

• Like 1

Birthday trip to the LFS :P Came home with a pscammacora, magician palys and a porcelain anemone crab.

Psammocora, I needed some green since I am slowly removing the LPS/Softies and making this SPS dominant. Setting up a IM25 lagoon for LPS/Softies/Macro although I may keep a few choice paly's in here. 

Finding something orange and something purple are on the list now.

25962877367_682f18e7ac.jpg2018-03-15_10-25-41 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

• Like 3

Growth pics/data...

When frags were still on rack btu after having them a week or two? This was taken with whites on.

27021619438_b0d6e82def.jpgSPS by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

The rest of the photos were taken with blues because I am sleepy and dumb and forgot to turn off the blues...

Red Dragon that I accidentally fragged like 3 times... it got super pale but is now coloring back up since I increased feeding and started dosing acro power. I also moved it lower in the tank. Supposedly a sensitive acro and the guy I got the torts, ect from can't keep this alive. I haven't manged to kill it yet so stay tuned for that future disaster lol

40184230444_4ecbe985df.jpgreddragon by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Psammacora

40184231334_831ab7ea45.jpgpsammacora by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Crappy pic of Pink Lemonade, usually is very hairy with polyps but I pissed it off cleaning. It has encrusted onto the glue and is starting to turn yellow at the tips.

40184232194_cc7b6d41cc.jpgpinklemonade by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

PC Rainbow, it has encrusted more but lost most of its green, still has some orange but the photo doesn't capture it. I think I will leave it and see what happens for now. Lighting seems to effect color but some people say put it high, some low, ect. I'm leaning towards too much light as most posts seem to say it turns more red with light. I already have it low though... but my light is quite a powerhouse for such a small tank. 

40184233454_e4664648dc.jpgpcrainbow by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Oregon Tort - supposed to be a slow grower but definitely has noticeable growth. It has now encrusted to the very edge of the plug and gotten taller. Can tell from the frag rack pic. I put this one up high on the rock as it supposedly likes to be blasted. Probably the happiest acro in the tank.. always good polyp extension and looking good!

40184234874_706b7c2dcb.jpgoregontort by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Cliffs Acro, this one got all pale and then I moved it so this is a picture of the side that was all shaded and colorless. It is gaining a pale green again and has overtaken the frag plug.

40184239634_65e22a6257.jpgcliffs by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Two shots of Cali Tort, not much noticeable growth and sometimes its polyps are out, and other times half of it looks pissed. This is the one that had the snail living inside it though so maybe taking longer to recover. 

40184241454_b5570df68c.jpgcalitort2 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

40184243244_22546d014a.jpgcalitort by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Tank shot of the tiny sticks not looking very impressive, check back in a couple years? :P Slowly moving the softies/LPS out to make more room for SPS.

40184236304_ce7c939c65.jpgFTS2 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

40184236304_ce7c939c65.jpgFTS2 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Illuiix said:

that bta is red asf!! B)

Yeah the color is actually pretty accurate. I asked around for someone selling a rose nem and went to get it sight unseen.... And it was so nice looking... I think it has gotten even brighter since I have had it. I only paid like 30 for it... Can't complain! 

• Like 1

Oh...I haven't tested alk again yet, was getting weird readings and then noticed my reagent was VERY expired, oops! Should have a new test kit arriving soon.

22 minutes ago, Illuiix said:

That’s a steal deal son!!

Ikr! Hey.. I totally remember your tank now, the minimalist scoly tank! No scolys planned for the new tank?

Well now I am just confused, freshly mixed salt shows alk of: 7.9 but tank has an alk of 9.4. I do not dose anything except 1ml of acro power maybe once a week (was trying to see if it would help since no Nitrates).

Gosh I don't know :huh: Looking around Fritz RPM has high borate which effects 'total alkalinity' tests (raises it falsely) but it should do that in the bucket too.

I was using a different salt mix in October, but the rest are from Fritz RPM - no issues with corals atm.. but what?

I mix it slow but maybe I let it sit too long. Will try mixing the salt different next time. I'm also almost out of salt, maybe the bottom of the bag isn't mixed well. I duno!!

image.png.885124784168caee9cbbfab0351ada04.png

sooo clumsy... + SPS = managed to knock TWO of them off. Glued them back on.... they didn't frag... came off by the glue.

Cali tort showing some encrusting now. Everything doing good BUT I found two small spots of bryprosis!! eww... I squirted some h2o2 at it for now. 

Also I have pink coraline showing up on the back wall so thats a good sign. :)

• Like 3

The corals look great! I'm always breaking off pieces of my acros in the 40g tank as I clean algae or turkey baste the rocks. I just take the pieces and glue them onto a frag plug and throw them into the frag tank. If they survive, great! The rest of the coral tends to thicken up when this happens which I think is a good thing.

I've also knocked off my share from their glue mounts, but they're mostly encrusted enough now that it takes a lot to knock them completely off.

On the alk, my only guess is that at some previous point, you had higher alk in your salt mix?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

The corals look great! I'm always breaking off pieces of my acros in the 40g tank as I clean algae or turkey baste the rocks. I just take the pieces and glue them onto a frag plug and throw them into the frag tank. If they survive, great! The rest of the coral tends to thicken up when this happens which I think is a good thing.

I've also knocked off my share from their glue mounts, but they're mostly encrusted enough now that it takes a lot to knock them completely off.

On the alk, my only guess is that at some previous point, you had higher alk in your salt mix?

Thanks Teeny :)

I was thinking that too but the water has been changed a lot with the new stuff. I saw some posters on reef2reef saying they had to mix their bags (while others did not)... maybe mine settled and alk wasn't consistent batch to batch. It is really a mystery but the coral looks happy so trying not to fret over it.

• Like 1
Segalplayer
On 3/14/2018 at 10:34 AM, Berkay said:

Have you used prodibio? Considering it for a lil filamentous algae

@Berkay

5 hours ago, Segalplayer said:

Have you used prodibio? Considering it for a lil filamentous algae

@Berkay

Nope, that stuff is for lowering nitrate but mine is already 0. The algae is bryprosis which seems to do fine in low nutrient anyways. It is 99% dead/gone after squirting peroxide at it (with pumps off)... I think it will be entirely gone in another treatment. People use Fluconazole for bad algae outbreaks. 

If I were to ever do carbon dosing I would just use vodka/vinegar and microbacter with a powerful skimmer. I have used those in the past with good results but was for heavy feeding tanks with high nitrates, if you just have a little algae, just spot kill it with some peroxide.

• Thanks 1
Segalplayer
37 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Nope, that stuff is for lowering nitrate but mine is already 0. The algae is bryprosis which seems to do fine in low nutrient anyways. It is 99% dead/gone after squirting peroxide at it (with pumps off)... I think it will be entirely gone in another treatment. People use Fluconazole for bad algae outbreaks. 

If I were to ever do carbon dosing I would just use vodka/vinegar and microbacter with a powerful skimmer. I have used those in the past with good results but was for heavy feeding tanks with high nitrates, if you just have a little algae, just spot kill it with some peroxide.

In order to do that, would I take the water in the tank down below that level and then spot it that way or while water is in the tank? Mine isn’t bad just a couple little spots where I’ve pulled but it just pops back up there..made its way through super glue (center of the glue)

Sorry i I am unfamiliar with the technique. 

7 minutes ago, Segalplayer said:

In order to do that, would I take the water in the tank down below that level and then spot it that way or while water is in the tank? Mine isn’t bad just a couple little spots where I’ve pulled but it just pops back up there..made its way through super glue (center of the glue)

Sorry i I am unfamiliar with the technique. 

If you can drain it and spot treat, that will be more effective than leaving water in the tank simply because it is easier to get all the peroxide where it is needed. Mine was at the bottom of the tank under a ledge so I just took a syringe full of peroxide and slowly squirted it on the spot underwater. You don't need much, just a squirt to get the algae wet with with peroxide. You can always retreat a few days later if you miss a spot.

Then refill and I left pumps off for about 10 min to let it bubble for a bit.

Algae will be dead 24-48 hours later.

• Thanks 1
Segalplayer
49 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If you can drain it and spot treat, that will be more effective than leaving water in the tank simply because it is easier to get all the peroxide where it is needed. Mine was at the bottom of the tank under a ledge so I just took a syringe full of peroxide and slowly squirted it on the spot underwater. You don't need much, just a squirt to get the algae wet with with peroxide. You can always retreat a few days later if you miss a spot.

Then refill and I left pumps off for about 10 min to let it bubble for a bit.

Algae will be dead 24-48 hours later.

Dopppppppppe, I will try that later to get rid of it. Have you ever use peroxide on frags or anything when get them to do the same? Thanks for the info! 

1 hour ago, Segalplayer said:

Dopppppppppe, I will try that later to get rid of it. Have you ever use peroxide on frags or anything when get them to do the same? Thanks for the info! 

I have used it on zoas.. Mushrooms.. acans... And sun corals. 

I put them in a cup of tank water and then add peroxide little by little swishing the water until I see bubbling then leave for 5-10 min. I would only do 5 with something more sensative like an acan but zoas handle it well. Never do more than 50/50 concentration on corals and never dip sps or anenomes in it. 

• Thanks 1