Coral Vue Hydros

5.5 gallon spec v. Was all she wrote.

MarieH

Ok so I caved.  Aquaclear half  baked refugium is up. BUT NOW THE jbj LIGHT looks stoopid placed on the side.  Can we say light upgrade?

20170718_172843.jpg

• Like 3

Dish scrubbers. I use them in my freshwater tanks as filter media and also to scrub algae.  Best 1 dollar aquarium investment ever!

So I used what I had on hand.  I put the little jbj filter on my nano pond and it works like a trickle filter to aerate  the water.  Cost  me 1.50 for crazy glue. I put the jbj medium into the first chamber until it cycles.   I might pick up a black sponge to replace the levelling sponge just to look a bit nicer lol.

I think  I will be light shopping soon because the light looks awkward  on the side.

Thanks . The whole thing took about an hour.  Easy peasy and the flow is a little  more than I would like but it skims across the surface really nice and I think it will be a good indicator of evaporation.

More evap = low water temp. Do you have a small piece of acrylic or glass? Could do a make shirt lid. Acrylic would be awesome. I use about a 9" cover on a 12" tank. I keep the back open for gas exchange. I find this is the best balance for me. It does evap more if I keep it open, but with this, it does not evap as much. My ATO shoots in about a cup of water every other day. 

I'll see how it goes but an ato might do more than a light upgrade.  I can get a piece of acrylic as I might want a very small goby or shrimp pair. Not sure yet.

TAMBERAV you might get your wish since I moved the light and it actually looks nice. Good shimmer and one darker side for a sun coral mebe.

20170719_085504.jpg

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, MarieH said:

I'll see how it goes but an atomic might do more than a light upgrade.  I can get a piece of acrylic as I might want a very small goby or shrimp pair. Not sure yet.

An atomic? :huh:

• Like 1

I'll take it as a good sign. So far all is well. Knock on wood, it has been easy peasy. Just waiting out the cycle.  They say picos are difficult.. will see.

Brown diatoms, so I did a 75% w/c.  I wanted to wait for test kits coming tomorrow but it looks a lot better now.  Cycling almost complete I think but one more week to be sure before I add some snails. I might forgo the hermits for this tiny tank.

2 hours ago, MarieH said:

Brown diatoms, so I did a 75% w/c.  I wanted to wait for test kits coming tomorrow but it looks a lot better now.  Cycling almost complete I think but one more week to be sure before I add some snails. I might forgo the hermits for this tiny tank.

Might be a good call, hermits can be punks lol.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Might be a good call, hermits can be punks lol.

What I have learned so far:

I will never keep a tall tank ever again due to maintenance difficulties.

I will never try to force things.

I won't agonize over failures

I will only keep what is within my tanks capacity to keep alive and happy (all tank sizes)

I will keep up maintenance (easy on 3g ;) )

• Like 3
7 hours ago, TinyOcean said:

Hey another Canadian! Great little tank!

Hi there. Well maybe one daay it might be more than a pile o rocks! Thanks!   I like it here, I am on Canreef too but the site is kind of slow, dedicated mostly to large fancy tanks from what I see. Nanoreef is great.  

So nitrates at 0 according to api kit, might still have nitrites high so I am being careful for another while.

Added a nano pack of chemipure blue, fits nicely near the intake sponge and heater.  Quite neatly.  Makes me very happy, it looks tidy.  

The refuge was a good idea. ( Only the evo mag pump is seenin the tank and the intake tube for the aquaclear of course. )

11 hours ago, MarieH said:

I couldn't agree more with this one. The only tall tank I enjoyed was a pure macroalgae one where I could just let the macro in the sand bed go wild and never had a reason to reach the bottom. I ended up ditching my 75g recently because I moved but I hated trying to place any frags or clean the sand bed. 21 inches was still too tall when you are used to nano's. If I go back to big, its a 80 gallon shallow for me!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I couldn't agree more with this one. The only tall tank I enjoyed was a pure macroalgae one where I could just let the macro in the sand bed go wild and never had a reason to reach the bottom. I ended up ditching my 75g recently because I moved but I hated trying to place any frags or clean the sand bed. 21 inches was still too tall when you are used to nano's. If I go back to big, its a 80 gallon shallow for me!

Shallow all the way. I think my next is an AIO.  

On 7/26/2017 at 8:50 AM, MarieH said:

What I have learned so far:

I will never try to force things.

I won't agonize over failures

I will only keep what is within my tanks capacity to keep alive and happy (all tank sizes)

I will keep up maintenance (easy on 3g ;) )

I really like this. 

And yeah, tall tanks drive me nuts. 

• Like 1
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

I really like this. 

And yeah, tall tanks drive me nuts. 

I have a very mellow feeling with my 3g pico, that all is well in the world lol. Unlike my 65g, that was more anxiety than enjoyment.

• Like 3