ReefCleaners.org

Algae ID?

truepercs

57 minutes ago, truepercs said:

Can anyone identify the algae on the rock next to my flamehawk?

flamehawk_0503.jpg

I don't know about the algae but that fish is nice! 

• Like 2
  • 4 years later...

After a short break,  I reset this cube tank back up... I am using much of the original rock which was bleached for days... Then soaked and used phosphate remover, re-constructed the rock structure and 6 months into the new tank.  The same type of Algae is growing I suspect spores were still in rock.  How crazy is that...   I still have not had it identified

• Wow 1
6 hours ago, truepercs said:

bleached for days

😬

Straight outta the 2017 YouTube playbook...

Then soaked and used phosphate remover

😶

Both of these steps are unnecessary.  

The first one is actually a little dangerous unless you're doing it outside....even then it's still highly unnecessary.

The object is not to have sterile rock.  And you cannot make aragonite stay "clean" from phosphate.  (Phosphate is a nutrient, so not something to fear anyway.)

The same type of Algae is growing I suspect spores were still in rock.

Maybe.

What's more likely is that the same husbandry methods are encouraging algae to grow as last time.

Can you get in there with your fingers and remove the algae a little at a time?  (One strand at a time if it's really tough to remove from the rock.)

Can you also post a set of water test results and a current tank pic?  Including a current closeup of your new algae growth?

FYI, the stuff in your photo looks like bryopsis...or one of the other green hairy algae in the same group.  

But don't panic....post up some new pics and new test results and let's go from there!  🙂 🙂 

• Like 1

The old photos you've posted in that thread look like regular hair algae that had just gone unchecked.

Another question to add on to the ones in the post above:

What is your cleanup crew made up of now?

For an excellent method of removing green algae manually (all types) watch this vid:

Ignore the other advice he mentions, which is all specific to his system and not about the algae removal.

Finger tips.  Bowl of water.  Time and persistence.  Snails.

That's all it takes.  🙂 (Look how much hair algae he started with in that frag tank!!!!!)

• Like 1

Going back to the topic... Algae ID?

I was hoping that I could have the type Algae identified... 

The Algae grows in a small tuff, almost like a wire it is not easily pulled by hand,  It takes hold deep into the rock work almost like it has a root system.

flamehawk_0503.jpg.8ed596561c9ae5a6d0f6a5fc64e59b8d.jpg

Based on some of the reading material I have found it mentions "Bryopsis look like little palm trees or ferns". 

This Algae does not appear to have any of these indicators.   From a visual perspective anyway.   

I will get macro lens out and see if I can get a recent close up later today...Funny you mention microscope.  A couple months ago a fellow local hobbyist and I were talking about getting one.  As it would be interesting to look into these sort of things...

• Like 1

Cladophora Herpestica  

Hmmm...  It does not appear Filamentous  or matting   ...forming cushion-like clumps 

Not cushion like but is forming in "clumps"  almost like the way switch  grass grows

Any other types you suggest I can take a peek at?

Thanks...

• Like 1

You missed my diagnosis which is bryopsis, which maybe means you skipped my most of my post....but will try again.

Bryopsis is a form of green algae....similar to green hair algae in all respects that are relevant to us.  It's essentially (as you're noticing) a beefier morph of hair algae.

Treatment is the same....which is to say....by the means I detailed earlier (and the vid shows the technique).

Here's a handy algae reference...PhycoKey...it's a visual guide so you don't need to know names to use it – just pictures!  👍😊

http://cfb.unh.edu/phycokey/Choices/Chlorophyceae/Chloro_key.html

Yours could still be hair algae, btw......you are right about the structure being more like that.  It's hard for us to be sure....there are many different growth forms of hair algae and bryopsis, most of which aren't in the algae ID catalogs.  To make matter more difficult, growing conditions also impacts the growth form....severly in some cases.  I still suspect bryopsis due to your overall description though.

You can compare some photos of "filamentous" green algae to "siphonous" green algae at that link.  Thing is there are so many species of algae that, by comparison, the algae "catalogs" don't contain much variety....you have to do the comparisons and read the descriptions and compare with what you have.

You will notice lots more similarities/parallel features if you look under a microscope.  

BTW, a toy microscope if a fine way to start if price is a reason for hesitation.  They are $10-12 at most places (eg. Ebay).  That gets you a plastic 1200x scope that works.  

It's shaky, and the field of vision is narrow, but...it's about $10 and it works! 😉   

MANY folks using them for dino hunting and other algae ID.  Of course you can get a basic "real scope" for around $50 if you have more to spend.....high-power (eg. 1200x)  is not really a requirement for algae ID unless you're trying to be scientific in you precision.  (Practically-speaking not necessary.)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I still have the algae but seems to be managable,the tomani and cherub angel do nip at it. When i get my hands in the tank if i can get a firm grip i can get a deep rooted clump out. so,just taking it slow.  Most frags to be in high gear for growth now2FF0C8EF-94B0-4016-A647-00904BD0DF96.thumb.jpeg.a60f368b94c63bbd98550f46653ce0d0.jpeg                                                                                  End of April will be one year!

5206FB7C-D8A8-466A-8C39-8029065BC3A3.jpeg

9AEC9702-27B2-41BA-890A-501EA4AF708E.jpeg

• Like 2