Cultivated Reef

Aqua One 35 Nano Tank

DominicDuffy

Hi yeah haven’t posted in a while but just purchased the jebao rw4 to increase flow and hopefully that will stop it from coming back. I stilll have the anemone but it seems to be doing well now and feeding regularly. However, I’m still going going to get rid of it soon as someone wants it. Can anyone recommend which settings I should have the rw4 on and in which direction I should point it because I currently have it on 3 bars of power and on the w1 setting and it is directed toward my anemone which is sat on top of the rock structure and it seems to be to strong for it I think.

I wouldn't direct the flow directly at any coral or the anemone.

There is no perfect placement or setting. Each tank is different. You have to play around with it.

Flow helps reduce cyano but the cause is nutrients in the tank

Yes I know mate good flow will hopefully export it towards the filter and also due to the anemone being on top of the rock structure it seems to be affected by the power head where aver I direct it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to sound harsh but if that’s it “looking better”, you’ve gotta realize you’ve still got problems. Or rather, the ritteri does :(.

I’ve only seen one of these in person, it was the size of your entire tank, and the LFS could not sell it because no one had the setup to care for it. 

You *need* to re home it. Don’t confuse that with being in any way a comment on your reefkeeping, it’s logistics. Why not just chalk it up to experience, give it back to where you got it from, and concentrate on something you do have the space, flow, and light for? Trust me this whole reef keeping thing is far more fun when you haven’t set yourself up to fail!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, samnaz said:

It is my understanding he cannot return it to wherever it came from. Either way it looks like it's on it's last leg. 

Yeah sorry I just re-read properly - didnt realise it was bought privately. Still, until and unless I read a post that says “I tried to surrender this to one or more LFS and they said no”, I’m gonna keep my animal welfare cranky pants on.

@DominicDuffy you do get that it’s slowly (and unnecessarily) dying, yeah? Why not swallow your pride or whatever else is stopping you and save it? You’ve fixed enough of your tank issues that you’d have way more success with a soft coral or a euphyllia which your clowns aren’t any less likely to host in.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Moorahs said:

Yeah sorry I just re-read properly - didnt realise it was bought privately. Still, until and unless I read a post that says “I tried to surrender this to one or more LFS and they said no”, I’m gonna keep my animal welfare cranky pants on.

@DominicDuffy you do get that it’s slowly (and unnecessarily) dying, yeah? Why not swallow your pride or whatever else is stopping you and save it? You’ve fixed enough of your tank issues that you’d have way more success with a soft coral or a euphyllia which your clowns aren’t any less likely to host in.

I believe in one of his other threads he said he'd tried to surrender to the LFS and they refused.  I've campaigned for months to get the nem rehomed lol.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I believe in one of his other threads he said he'd tried to surrender to the LFS and they refused.  I've campaigned for months to get the nem rehomed lol.

Oh yeah... the other thread where he said he was getting plenty of interest in it when he listed it online... two months ago... <_<.

Indulge me while I split hairs - Dominic did you try to *surrender* the nem or just ask one LFS to buy it? What happened to the other interest you said you had? 

I just had a read across all your other threads and I’m amazed. That’s some serious sustained effort on all parts - the people who’ve tried to help for months, and yours, for ignoring the advice you don’t want to hear. 

• Like 1

As a human my head hurts....

As keeper of my creatures my heart hurts....

I feel like we could have an entire thread about the absurdity of this thread... Complete with memes to make it more user friendly.

Godspeed in your learning my friend. And best of luck in finding a suitable home for your pet(s). 

far-side-first-pants-then-your-shoes.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah it’s still on a selling page on Facebook but now there seems to be no interest. The people who were interested either didn’t have a big enough tank for it to fully grow or just were starting in saltwater tanks. In this picture it looks a lot worse than it does after a few hours of the lights on. ATM it open but it still has pretty short tentacles. However, I am still looking for someone to take it of me. I have even offered it to my LFS but they said they are hard to get rid of once they have them.

This is what it looks like now, I know it’s far from 100% health but I started to increase flow the other day and making sure it eats its food daily without the clown fish trying to steal it and it has dramatically started to improve. 

03BB74CD-3404-405E-BA6E-9C544777E561.jpeg

So hey, good on you for coming back on here and replying. That said, I’m out. 

Sorry but it doesn’t sound like you’re serious about wanting / trying to rehome it; I think you had your mind made up over 3 months ago and so there’s precious little point anyone saying a word (but here we go for one last ditch effort: TRY HARDER). 

If you’re waiting for that blissful moment when some guru chimes in saying “Sure, it’s totally possible to keep a 2 foot nem in a 1 foot, new and unstable, underlit tank! I do it all the time! Well done to you!”... well, an animal is going to die at your hands while you’re waiting. And it won’t die because you don’t know any better - it’ll be because you’re not willing to hear what you don’t want to hear. 

Think about that :( 

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help I have started dosing nopox again as I noticed my phosphates and nitrate were a little high. I have been dosing 1ml instead of 3ml like before which killed my livestock and everything to do with my livestock as being doing fine as Iv turned my skimmer up and increased oxygen in the column. However, i have noticed red Cubans has started to grow on the rock and sand. I have tried a three day black out and that has not worked. I also have tried a water change and siphoning all of it out. But it seems to come back each day. From reading online some people say this could be to do with the nopox causing an imbalance in the phosphates and nitrates. Is this true? Also I have just relised I had the same issue before when the nopox killed my livestock. When I changed all of the water I had red Cyanobacteria in the few days after. 

35 minutes ago, DominicDuffy said:

Can anyone help I have started dosing nopox again as I noticed my phosphates and nitrate were a little high. I have been dosing 1ml instead of 3ml like before which killed my livestock and everything to do with my livestock as being doing fine as Iv turned my skimmer up and increased oxygen in the column. However, i have noticed red Cubans has started to grow on the rock and sand. I have tried a three day black out and that has not worked. I also have tried a water change and siphoning all of it out. But it seems to come back each day. From reading online some people say this could be to do with the nopox causing an imbalance in the phosphates and nitrates. Is this true? Also I have just relised I had the same issue before when the nopox killed my livestock. When I changed all of the water I had red Cyanobacteria in the few days after. 

my advice to you is keep making water changes and stop using chemicals in ur tank. i am new to the hobby as well but i learned that by taking it easy and taking advice really pays off.

i was having the same problems with my biocube clown gave me great advice and payed off. 

please follow the advice the give you.

wish i could take the nem of your hands to save the poor little guy :( .

You need to find the cause of the cyano. Nutrients cause is nut what's causing the buildup of nutrients?

What is lacking in the maintenance dept that's leading to the cyano?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just looked in the back sump of my all in one have noticed that the biological media which comes with the tank has a build up of fish waste around it. I also have a sponge filter but I wash that in the old tank water when I do water changes so that’s always clean. Should I do the same with the bio media.  Also could this be causing my high nitrates and phosphates and is there a way of cleaning it without having to do a water change because Iv just did one today and didn’t notice it untill after.

6C3A5DF3-21A5-457C-B631-FA21BF1617B2.jpeg

9 hours ago, DominicDuffy said:

I have just looked in the back sump of my all in one have noticed that the biological media which comes with the tank has a build up of fish waste around it. I also have a sponge filter but I wash that in the old tank water when I do water changes so that’s always clean. Should I do the same with the bio media.  Also could this be causing my high nitrates and phosphates and is there a way of cleaning it without having to do a water change because Iv just did one today and didn’t notice it untill after.imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b

6C3A5DF3-21A5-457C-B631-FA21BF1617B2.jpeg

A sponge washed will never be clean. It's a nutrient factory. There is crap in there the naked can't see.

Rinsing it in old tank water will just remove the chunks in it but not what it's fostering.

Floss should be used and replaced 2 times a week-no sponges in sw.

All media bags need rinsing or they become a nutrient factory with the detritus that builds on them.

I was thinking of removing the filter media for marinepure abs Iv heard its better for harbouring the beneficial bacteria and this is why I’m looking for a media basket because at the moment the filter floss is suspended on top of the spong near the overflow. Is there another way of running the filter floss if I remove the sponge.

What I was thinking of doing is remove the bio media replacing with marine pure adding a chunk of cheato into that compartment, a magnafuge light and pouring live pods and phytoplankton also into that compartment to create a refugiom to keep my nitrates low. Would you recommend this for my steam. Or would running a bag of chemipure blue nano be a better idea or both.

I don't use chemipures. I use individual media's in media bags for my tanks needs. I've found more benefit with this method and it's more cost effective.

Chaeto is great but small amounts will not get you the nutrient export if that's the purpose of it. Building a full refugium will provide more benefits rather than just a chunk in a media basket.

Bio media isn't necessary if you have liverock.

Most run their media in a media basket, floss goes in there.

If you have biomedia, then keep it. If you have liverock, there would be no cycle, liverock is the biological filter.

You need a media basket to house your media in it.

DominicDuffy

Yeah Iv been looking all over online and have asked intank to make me one but no luck. I would make an egg crate one but would prefer a proper media basket if I can find one.

What should I search for to find somewhere that sells them because when I search media basket not many come up.