inTank Media Baskets

Aqua One 35 Nano Tank

DominicDuffy

It could be a mini cycle... Not all the bacteria dies right away. It should fix itself a lot faster than a normal cycle.

It's also possible the epoxy is causing a false reading.. I'm not sure how that stuff may effect test kits. 

I don’t think it was a false reading because the fishes health has decreased. There still hiding begind the rocks with them breathing a bit heavier than normal.

How long do you think it will take to do a mini cycle ?

These are the reading I’m getting I’m surprised with the nitrite because I thought the nitrite would be high due to the ammonia converting bacteria creating nitrite. Also my corals seem to be doing fine except two ultra types of zoanthids. The high ph will be caused by the ammonia won’t it ?

F41284A1-A534-4CCB-970D-E8A1959CC637.jpeg

22 minutes ago, DominicDuffy said:

I was looking online and they reckon lowering your ph can reduce ammonia. Is this correct and can it be done using 1ml of white distilled vinegar per gallon ?

DO NOT EVER TRY TO CORRECT PH - its best not even to test for it to even be tempted to mess with pH. 

pH will changed based on the Co2 in the air in your house. Correcting it will only cause it to change back and cause a SWING stressing your corals further.

Vinegar is also a carbon source and dosing it can cause a bacterial bloom and lower oxygen.

It also does not reduce ammonia, it only makes it less toxic but your tank isn't a closed environment so its not going to stay low. 

The tank needs to just be left alone, all these changes are what is causing issues. Water changes and prime are the only things I would do that wont harm the corals.

• Like 1

I was going to get some price today but the closest lfs is about 17 miles away and there’s about 3 foot snow outside so driving I’m unable to get some. Also Iv only just got enough saltwater to be used in case it gets worse I don’t want to do water changes with it.

3 hours ago, DominicDuffy said:

But if Iv took my rock of the tank to aquascape then bacteria has died won’t that mean my tank has to cycle again ?

Many of us take rocks out to rescape or when we upgrade.

My rocks were out of water for more than 1hr when I upgraded. After an hr I started spraying sw on them but for 30-45 mins they were out of water.

No spike at all.

Rocks retain more water than what we think.

It's a new tank with a small water volume. Its very easy for things to go downhill fast.

You've been using NOPOX(most wouldn't advise this in a new system) then the epoxy was used.

That epoxy alone could be causing all these issues, it's the only brand I know of that has a warning. 

You have an anemone, how is it reacting to the epoxy/ammonia spike.

Like @Tamberav

Mentioned. Don't chase ph, don't even try to alter it.

The best thing you can do is waterchanges and using prime. That is all you can do until the ammonia processes.

• Like 1

It’s only the fish and two frags of Zoas that have been affected. My other zoas and corals seem to be fine. Iv been testing my ammonia all day and it looks like it’s slowly decreasing

Do you think I will get through this without any fish dying or corals dying if I don’t do a water change to use prime. Because the UK has been hit by a lot of snow and I’m unable to drive to the lfs.

My clowns are now out from under rocks and swimming near the nem

7 hours ago, DominicDuffy said:

I have about 2.5g of saltwater left do you think I should use for a water change or keep in case I need to get fish and corals out of tank?

To get the fish out of tank you will still run into the issue of waterchanges because the ammonia level will rise as they poop etc.

In emergency qt/hospital tank, most use prime or daily waterchanges to reduce ammonia. 

You can't keep the fish in a small container like food storage container.  They would need temp control and water movement.

If the ammonia is dropping that's good.

• Like 1

Did something die? 

I think between nopox, epoxy, and rocks out of water something happened and your tank is now cycling again.

Once again-small volume of water is easily effected by everything you do and use.

Rocks out of water for 10mins would not cause enough die off to cause a full out spike.

They wouldn't even be dry or semi dry. 

Ppl with Pico jars have rocks out of water for 10mins or more with no issue

DominicDuffy

Nothing has died. All I have done is removed the rocks for about 10 minutes glued it together a put it back in. I keep testing ammonia and nitrites but my ammonia is getting higher and nitrite is at 0ppm. I thought if my tank was cycling my nitrite would increase and my ammonia decrease.