Top Shelf Aquatics

NanoBox T-Shirt Designs

DaveFason

thespinningsadhu
On 7/13/2017 at 9:06 PM, xilez said:

I work full time as a designer, with a focus on branding and creative strategy. I am also a pretty huge fan of nanobox ever since the inception on this forum, so I'd like to think of myself as someone who would most likely buy swag and wear it on a regular basis, assuming they were designed well. 

I'll give some thoughts

#1 - I would just pass on this completely. In its current state, it just lacks legibility. Legibility is king when it comes to this stuff. Even if it was kerned and leaded by a professional (proper gaps between letters, joining of descenders) it would just be meh. It would look like it was designed by someone who isn't a trained designer, in the year 2010. The font is random, and takes away from the brand. The brand, imo, is clean and minimal in both design and product, this shirt doesn't align with those values.

#2 - This one isn't bad. The patch design was in few years ago, and the "x" theme is pretty overused, I would rate this 4/10 as a tshirt. However, it would be a 7/10 hat, where the patch is stitched, with a mesh back half. Similar to patagonia or other outdoorsy style hats.

I would get rid of the EST. 2012. I too love Nanobox, but we arn't talking about a country club in the old country. It's an overused design element, by hipsters... It only shows how NEW of a company you are. Despite how proud we all are of your business, studies have shown that the majority of the market see this as a weakness. Look at some of the top performing brands in this industry, they have all been around forever...or at least, that whats the market perceives. I would replace the EST 2012 with the "n" icon (also the length of the X needs work.it extends too far)

#3 this is solid from a design perspective (kerning is a bit too tight in the "ano" area)... but this is what goes on the back of a shirt, in the neck area.

You are missing a key element here...and its the N icon. The goal here is to make that be recognizable on any scale. Someone needs to see that N icon, and know its nanobox. 

I'm going to play devil's advocate. I think the "est. 2012" can work in certain niches. In light of today's market and economy I would consider it a source of pride for a mom and pop to still be in business ESPECIALLY in such a specialized micro-market where there are established giants. 

The color is nice - in fact - I bet you could call it coral! The lines draw the eye in. 

There definitely needs to be the logoed "n". 

As for the other suggestions, I'm in agreement, but ultimately it's whatever feels good to @DaveFason and makes him proud of the shirt. 

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Sk8n Reefer said:

Take a break from your pocket protector and put a pocketless t-shirt on for the weekend............it will be ok ?

What do I do with my pens :lol:

• Like 3

I too HATE pockets on my T-shirts.  Nothing needs to be stored in my shirt that couldnt be placed in my pants pocket.

As for the 2 Designs I really liked #1 had the best concept and layout.  It addresses the main things with promoting your brand.  The logo itself and the name of the company.  If someone just saw the logo they probably wouldnt know what its for.  So having the name be big and bold immediately connects the two.  It just lacked a little type adjustment and the REEF was hard to read.  With a little more manual adjustments to each individual letter I can up with this.  I could tweak this further to fix the Es and Fs which became a little stretched to make them the same width as the others.

raFMDTL.jpg

#2 N B R doesn't have an easy to connect name for people outside the hobby and people even inside the hobby might not make the connection.  The layout is also a little dated in its "hipster" style.  Adding the logo and name fills in that gap while retaining the same look and feel.

ksqJjaV.jpg

Whatever you come up with Dave I'd love to wear one of your shirts.

• Like 11
17 minutes ago, Scorched said:

I too HATE pockets on my T-shirts.  Nothing needs to be stored in my shirt that couldnt be placed in my pants pocket.

As for the 2 Designs I really liked #1 had the best concept and layout.  It addresses the main things with promoting your brand.  The logo itself and the name of the company.  If someone just saw the logo they probably wouldnt know what its for.  So having the name be big and bold immediately connects the two.  It just lacked a little type adjustment and the REEF was hard to read.  With a little more manual adjustments to each individual letter I can up with this.  I could tweak this further to fix the Es and Fs which became a little stretched to make them the same width as the others.

raFMDTL.jpg

#2 N B R doesn't have an easy to connect name for people outside the hobby and people even inside the hobby might not make the connection.  The layout is also a little dated in its "hipster" style.  Adding the logo and name fills in that gap while retaining the same look and feel.

ksqJjaV.jpg

Those edits are fantastic! I think someone deserves a free shirt or two ;)

• Like 1

I have one of your old tshirts and must admit I do like the two edits posted above. I need to get a new one I have worn my current one so much. :)

Not bad scorched. First option looks much better, although that Blue will be impossible to replicate for printing, but a nice Pantone light blue will look sick. I think you should tweek the kerning of the word "NANO"..all the letter are touching, they should probably resemble the spacing in the word "REEF"

Not bad scorched. First option looks much better, although that Blue will be impossible to replicate for printing, but a nice Pantone light blue will look sick. I think you should tweek the kerning of the word "NANO"..all the letter are touching, they should probably resemble the spacing in the word "REEF"

On 7/15/2017 at 8:17 AM, Sk8n Reefer said:

Take a break from your pocket protector and put a pocketless t-shirt on for the weekend............it will be ok ?

But my smokes box stabs my thigh and I can't check how many I have left without pulling the whole pack out. Also I need it to hang my keys from so i cat tote a bunch of tall boys inside and not have to put them down to dig for keys. You no pocket people disgust me. ?

5 hours ago, Scorched said:

raFMDTL.jpg

ksqJjaV.jpg

No pocket, disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself. 

This great country was built on the idea of pockets on t shirts. No bull. That was the main reason. 

• Like 2

Lest we not forget The Boston T Shirt party. After King George placed a tax upon the pockets, brave patriots rose up and flung the boxes full of taxed pockets into the river. Those brave men were dressed as native Americans, with deer skin pockets sewn upon their short sleeves shirts! That's why, to this very day a shirt with a pocket carries the same price as a shirt without. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, xilez said:

The color was more subtle in Photoshop.  The CMYK to RGB conversion and the upload made it a little more wild, but it almost boosted the summer beach feel.

• Like 1
On 7/17/2017 at 9:40 PM, Scorched said:

The color was more subtle in Photoshop.  The CMYK to RGB conversion and the upload made it a little more wild, but it almost boosted the summer beach feel.

Yeah no doubt, but it won't screen print that color. Use the Pantone Coated Color Book in Illustrator, that way you can be sure the color on screen is pretty close to what can be printed. 

• Like 1

Thoughts on these? I will be making the X version as well. I sourced a couple USA made t-shirts ( thanks @1891Bro for help ) that I will have plain and some pocket T's available. 

Simple and easy to read. @xilez I need to edit the color to match what they can print. 

NanoBoxReef_Cube_v01NanoBoxReef_Cube_v01

Woman's version? I have more women customers than you guys think! @kimberbee @metrokat @stellablue 

NanoBoxReef_Cube_v01

@Scorched thoughts?

• Like 6
10 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Thoughts on these? I will be making the X version as well. I sourced a couple USA made t-shirts ( thanks @1891Bro for help ) that I will have plain and some pocket T's available. 

Simple and easy to read. @xilez I need to edit the color to match what they can print. 

Woman's version? I have more women customers than you guys think! @kimberbee @metrokat @stellablue 

NanoBoxReef_Cube_v01

@Scorched thoughts?

I like the first two...... and what exactly is a woman's version? :happy:

• Like 2

I'm liking the colors on the first one.  I see you spaced everything out instead of just leaving the E E and F spaced.  Just check that some of the letters are still aligned.  On the second or third version I sent you the X has the same width as the N above it and each corner touches the ones above and below.  The N logo also looks to have shifted and is off center with the O above it. 

Nano_Box_Reef_Cube_v01_w_Guides.jpg

Looks like a rogue 2nd blue A is hidden under NANO in the second design.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

NanoBoxReef_Cube_v01

@Scorched thoughts?

I really like them all. I think all designs are good - more the style shirt for women's designs. Although that last one would be awesome 

• Like 1

Love all 3, but I'd really love to see the 3rd (pastel colors) without the stroke and on a black or dark grey T / V neck tank.

I'd rock that on the daily!!!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DaveFason said:

NanoBoxReef_Cube_v01

@Scorched thoughts?

I just pissed myself with glee (and a bit of drunkeness)!!

I hate to sound picky, you gonna have any in tie dye?

Really though, put me down for the FIRST xl USA made that comes in. Color no matter. And that's a men's xl. With pocket, kinda goes without saying though. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, DaveFason said:

NanoBoxReef_Cube_v01

Hi @DaveFason

I like ths one for the women's shirt. The other pastel one is too light and is more for a very young girl. These colors are sophisticated. Kind of like how I view you, your company, your products.

Hope the ladies shirt will have a v neck.....

• Like 3
cfaye@Delaware

I don't know about them pastel colors, mix like that too busy......makes me dizzy LOL

The black background, ok on a black shirt.....

Still like the summer beach feel one, the beach colors, the blue and orange, more lay back more cool and calming. Relax Nano Box Reef got it.  

LOL pastel anyone up for a Easter Egg Hunt.......ooopppsss I'm sorry just not a fan of pastel.....your ideas have been awesome, keep them coming, no matter what you decide I will buy one or more for friends just to get the conversation going.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback. I will get the letters alined and all set. 

What better way than to get you guys involved! :)

-Dave

• Like 3