Coral Vue Hydros

NanoBox T-Shirt Designs

DaveFason

Hi guys,

I am working on a couple t-shirt designs for September. I would love your input! I tried to keep this simple and possibly something you guys would enjoy wearing. 

NanoBoxTBIGNanoBoxTSquare

Let me know!

-Dave

• Like 7

The last two are nice, but I don't really like the first one... the way the "a", "n", and "x" intersect is weird - none of the lines line up right, but it feels like they should. And I just don't like the way the "eef" in "reef" is all blurred together. You kind of have to do a double take to read it right, especially if you don't already know what it says. I think you should either separate the letters just a sliver from one another or else it might help to have the letters in two alternating colors or something (that would at least fix the issue with "reef"; not sure if it would help with the weird intersections or not). If the first design got fixed up so that it flowed better, it would probably be my favorite of the three, but in lieu of that, I like the second one best.

• Like 1

I like the second one.  It may be more than you were wanting to do but it would be cool to have a solid color t shirt (or heather grey) with the image on a pocket of a different color.

• Like 3

I work full time as a designer, with a focus on branding and creative strategy. I am also a pretty huge fan of nanobox ever since the inception on this forum, so I'd like to think of myself as someone who would most likely buy swag and wear it on a regular basis, assuming they were designed well. 

I'll give some thoughts

#1 - I would just pass on this completely. In its current state, it just lacks legibility. Legibility is king when it comes to this stuff. Even if it was kerned and leaded by a professional (proper gaps between letters, joining of descenders) it would just be meh. It would look like it was designed by someone who isn't a trained designer, in the year 2010. The font is random, and takes away from the brand. The brand, imo, is clean and minimal in both design and product, this shirt doesn't align with those values.

#2 - This one isn't bad. The patch design was in few years ago, and the "x" theme is pretty overused, I would rate this 4/10 as a tshirt. However, it would be a 7/10 hat, where the patch is stitched, with a mesh back half. Similar to patagonia or other outdoorsy style hats.

I would get rid of the EST. 2012. I too love Nanobox, but we arn't talking about a country club in the old country. It's an overused design element, by hipsters... It only shows how NEW of a company you are. Despite how proud we all are of your business, studies have shown that the majority of the market see this as a weakness. Look at some of the top performing brands in this industry, they have all been around forever...or at least, that whats the market perceives. I would replace the EST 2012 with the "n" icon (also the length of the X needs work.it extends too far)

#3 this is solid from a design perspective (kerning is a bit too tight in the "ano" area)... but this is what goes on the back of a shirt, in the neck area.

You are missing a key element here...and its the N icon. The goal here is to make that be recognizable on any scale. Someone needs to see that N icon, and know its nanobox. 

• Like 8

Please tell us that the shirts are made in USA, Just like the lights are. 

Please have a pocket on the shirt too. You pick the design, if it's spun in the US and has a pocket I'll be the first to buy. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, JLynn said:

The last two are nice, but I don't really like the first one... the way the "a", "n", and "x" intersect is weird - none of the lines line up right, but it feels like they should. And I just don't like the way the "eef" in "reef" is all blurred together. You kind of have to do a double take to read it right, especially if you don't already know what it says. I think you should either separate the letters just a sliver from one another or else it might help to have the letters in two alternating colors or something (that would at least fix the issue with "reef"; not sure if it would help with the weird intersections or not). If the first design got fixed up so that it flowed better, it would probably be my favorite of the three, but in lieu of that, I like the second one best.

Thanks for the feedback. The first was a random idea I sketched down. Block letter was the purpose. 

15 hours ago, mattskims said:

I like the second one.  It may be more than you were wanting to do but it would be cool to have a solid color t shirt (or heather grey) with the image on a pocket of a different color.

I have always enjoyed a pocket T and right now it is the "in" thing. 

10 hours ago, xilez said:

I work full time as a designer, with a focus on branding and creative strategy. I am also a pretty huge fan of nanobox ever since the inception on this forum, so I'd like to think of myself as someone who would most likely buy swag and wear it on a regular basis, assuming they were designed well. 

I'll give some thoughts

#1 - I would just pass on this completely. In its current state, it just lacks legibility. Legibility is king when it comes to this stuff. Even if it was kerned and leaded by a professional (proper gaps between letters, joining of descenders) it would just be meh. It would look like it was designed by someone who isn't a trained designer, in the year 2010. The font is random, and takes away from the brand. The brand, imo, is clean and minimal in both design and product, this shirt doesn't align with those values.

#2 - This one isn't bad. The patch design was in few years ago, and the "x" theme is pretty overused, I would rate this 4/10 as a tshirt. However, it would be a 7/10 hat, where the patch is stitched, with a mesh back half. Similar to patagonia or other outdoorsy style hats.

I would get rid of the EST. 2012. I too love Nanobox, but we arn't talking about a country club in the old country. It's an overused design element, by hipsters... It only shows how NEW of a company you are. Despite how proud we all are of your business, studies have shown that the majority of the market see this as a weakness. Look at some of the top performing brands in this industry, they have all been around forever...or at least, that whats the market perceives. I would replace the EST 2012 with the "n" icon (also the length of the X needs work.it extends too far)

#3 this is solid from a design perspective (kerning is a bit too tight in the "ano" area)... but this is what goes on the back of a shirt, in the neck area.

You are missing a key element here...and its the N icon. The goal here is to make that be recognizable on any scale. Someone needs to see that N icon, and know its nanobox. 

Thanks for the feedback as well. I designed all of these and it is not my profession but have done everything else myself. I always like to experiment, sketch, etc. 

1. It was more block/pop lettering I was going for. The lack of legibility was actually on purpose and the reason I put the N logo by it. 
  2. I know it is a trendy X but it seems people still really enjoy the style. Interesting thought on the hat. I totally agree on swapping the logo with the "2012". 
  3. Just the normal logo. :)

If you have spare time to sketch a couple I would be willing to send you a handful of shirts! 

7 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Please tell us that the shirts are made in USA, Just like the lights are. 

Please have a pocket on the shirt too. You pick the design, if it's spun in the US and has a pocket I'll be the first to buy. 

Yes and as much as shirts can be made in the US. Most real US made shirts are upwards of $40-50 after printing. Now that American Apparel was bought out ( only affordable company ) it makes it hard. However everything will be printed in NC. 

• Like 4

I actually do like the idea of #1, but I agree about the legibility. I feel like it would be great if spaced out a little bit more.

I agree on #2 being used as a hat instead, but I don't like the letters not all facing the same way. I get the idea of it, but I think it looks odd facing that way. If you don't like the 2012 idea, maybe do a piece of coral or an symbol that is related. I don't dislike the 2012 part at all to be honest, but maybe I'm just one of those dirty trendy hipsters.

#3 is a bit simple, but would look nice on a black shirt or something. I like it the least out of the three designs, but I don't think it is a bad design.

I would buy any one of the three though!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sk8n Reefer said:

For a T-shirt- no pocket

Oh do you roll the Pall Malls in your in your sleeve :lol: 

I just want one that fits......Dave thinks I am some skinny guy I guess :unsure:

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, spectra said:

Oh do you roll the Pall Malls in your in your sleeve :lol: 

I just want one that fits......Dave thinks I am some skinny guy I guess :unsure:

A t shirt without a pocket=Something to use to dust the dash of my truck or, in emergency situations like, when there's no more tp and a drive to the store isn't an option. 

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu

I'm anti-pocket out of respect for others safety, vision, and gag reflexes. A pocketed t-shirt will accentuate my man-teat and that is no good for anybody

• Like 6
cfaye@Delaware

This is nice.....I like # 1 has a beach feel, you find these colors on boardwalk a lot, jumps out at you.....good conversation starter.

#2 not so much, I'm a newbie, have no idea what this is.....scuba diving signal....not looking for buddy.....had no idea you were young.....come a long way....

# 3 nope.....looks like some ad....trying to sell.....I like # 1 a lot, get people to talk about you and hobby......love colors.....jump out at you.....I hope # 1 makes it.....nice design....

On 14/07/2017 at 3:06 AM, xilez said:

I'll give some thoughts

As a designer I also agree with this! 

• Like 1