ReefCleaners.org

Ceramic rings in frag tank?

salmonfishy

Theres really no need for it as your liverock is the biological filter unless you plan on a heavy bioload.

There are pros and cons. 

Detritus will trap back in the chambers with that media and you need to be able to clean the chambers regularly.

A media basket with filter floss and carbon is a good start and most common media used.

Purigen is another good option. 

Phosphate removers when needed

• Like 1
20 hours ago, salmonfishy said:

I'm starting a 20 g AIO frag tank , is using ceramic rings as media in the back compartment okay? if not what should I use? 

20 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Theres really no need for it as your liverock is the biological filter unless you plan on a heavy bioload.

There are pros and cons. 

Detritus will trap back in the chambers with that media and you need to be able to clean the chambers regularly.

A media basket with filter floss and carbon is a good start and most common media used.

Purigen is another good option. 

Phosphate removers when needed

Since it's a frag tank, are you even planning on having rock at all?

I think it depends what you're planning on keeping in there.

I have mainly zoas in my 20 litre frag tank, and filtration is just some floss followed by rings. It works well and is easy to maintain.  The floss catches 90% of the detritus, so I just clean that every few days as needed, and rinse through the ceramics and syphon detritus from the chamber probably once every three weeks.  Fish wise, it has a chromis in at the moment, so fairly heavy stocking for that size of tank. 

If I were regularly keeping SPS in there regularly,  I'd want something a little more capable I think. 

salmonfishy
5 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Since it's a frag tank, are you even planning on having rock at all?

Since it's a frag tank and i needed space ,I'd try not to have live rock

1 hour ago, ajm83 said:

I think it depends what you're planning on keeping in there.

I have mainly zoas in my 20 litre frag tank, and filtration is just some floss followed by rings. It works well and is easy to maintain.  The floss catches 90% of the detritus, so I just clean that every few days as needed, and rinse through the ceramics and syphon detritus from the chamber probably once every three weeks.  Fish wise, it has a chromis in at the moment, so fairly heavy stocking for that size of tank. 

If I were regularly keeping SPS in there regularly,  I'd want something a little more capable I think. 

I'm planning to put a six line wrasse ,do you think it'd be okay? I'm planning to keep mostly softies like kenya ,zoa,xenia,and gsp.

and should i seed my ceramic rings by putting it in my main display?if yes how long?

or should I use live rock rubbles instead of ceramic rings?

• 5 weeks later...