inTank Media Baskets

IM 25 gallon lagoon lighting

ackattackkk

Both would work. I have the AI Prime HD's in my IM25 and has pretty good coverage, obviously the outter parts of the tank will have low PAR.

I love my Prime HD's.

• Like 1
ackattackkk

Thats fine by me I dont plan to have coral on every inch of my tank. do you prefer one over the other? I see a lot of good things about the AI Prime HD.  That picture is ReeferAddict727's Lagoon and he is using 1 AI Prime HD and I like the colors and the way the light looks on the tank.20160618_180849_zpsuc61lo3r.jpg

You'll get a split group between these two lights.

I don't have the Kessil's so I can't comment on that, though I do know that the blues produced from the Kessil's are a deeper blue.

I went with Prime HD's because it cost way less than the Kessil. I can control with Prime HD's with a phone app, whereas the Kessil, if you want to program it and all that, you have to buy the controller separate.

• Like 1
ackattackkk
53 minutes ago, Nart said:

You'll get a split group between these two lights.

I don't have the Kessil's so I can't comment on that, though I do know that the blues produced from the Kessil's are a deeper blue.

I went with Prime HD's because it cost way less than the Kessil. I can control with Prime HD's with a phone app, whereas the Kessil, if you want to program it and all that, you have to buy the controller separate.

is one going to be enough? I see a lot of people saying use 2. but again the pic i posted of another reefers tank is only using one and it looks fine?

Like what Boggers said. 1 is pretty much enough for LPS and easy SPS corals.

You'll want 2 if you are going to keep it SPS dominate to reduce shading/shadowing.

ackattackkk
7 minutes ago, Nart said:

Like what Boggers said. 1 is pretty much enough for LPS and easy SPS corals.

You'll want 2 if you are going to keep it SPS dominate to reduce shading/shadowing.

Not really even a fan of SPS lol. Zoa's and torch/hammer are my favorite corals. Huge zoa fan. so 1 should do exactly what i need :D

There you go my man. I am not a huge SPS fan either.

Though, I got 1 sps frag from a local reef club member, called Tubbs Stella... and I have to say, it is pretty darn neat. Anyways, I have that frag towards the top half of my tank and right under the light and it's getting good growth.

ackattackkk
1 minute ago, Nart said:

There you go my man. I am not a huge SPS fan either.

Though, I got 1 sps frag from a local reef club member, called Tubbs Stella... and I have to say, it is pretty darn neat. Anyways, I have that frag towards the top half of my tank and right under the light and it's getting good growth.

I mean i have seen some pics and im like damn those are nice. but if i ever wanted to try it out i guess i could make my scape a little higher and put a frag like directly in the middle of my tank higher up... who knows. just getting started and didnt want to kick myself for not getting the right light and end up having to spend a lot more on a better light.  But the prime seems pretty legit.

Haha... and so the SPS bug begins.

I, myself, stopped saying "ehh I'm not a fan of it". It's happened way too many times already that I said I wouldn't get this or that and ended up with one :lol:

Here's my set-up if you were curious, pic is from 2 month ago (haven't had a chance to get a good front tank shot)

This is with the AI Prime HD's and the metal bracket mount.

IMG_6884.thumb.jpg.6f70b973a313aa60efebee93e3b34265.jpg:

• Like 1
ackattackkk
7 minutes ago, Nart said:

Haha... and so the SPS bug begins.

I, myself, stopped saying "ehh I'm not a fan of it". It's happened way too many times already that I said I wouldn't get this or that and ended up with one :lol:

Here's my set-up if you were curious, pic is from 2 month ago (haven't had a chance to get a good front tank shot)IMG_6884.thumb.jpg.6f70b973a313aa60efebee93e3b34265.jpg:

thats sick as #### man .looks good. haha SPS is just too much for me to deal with. people always talking about needing a sump and dosing and doing this or that. I Like the hobby im just not a nut like a lot of the people on here are. Im simple. a few fish a few zoas some testing and water changes and im happy lol 

• Like 1

Thanks all.

It think looks oo-kay. I'm never too happy with my rockscaping, but... I digress.

Back on topic.

So, with the IM25 Lagoon, we kind of have a sump, more of a AIO sump. I use part of the sump to grow chaeto in the back. If you ever need some tips/advice let me know. I will gladly unload my knowledge of what I know with the tank to you.

Lmao Ack - I was exactly the same way as you. I started off with a simple Aqueon 15G, just wanted to own clowns and a few zoas. anddddddddddd thennnnnn?

The IM25 Lagoon happened :D

It's kind of like working out in the gym, "Let's take this to the next level! GAINZZZZZZ!"

Once you get bit by the coral bug... it'll happen quick, it's not a bad thing. Well, kind of, for the wallet it's bad.

Do you have an addictive personality? If not, you might be fine, I can't guarantee hah.

• Like 1

Not a fan of SPS? 

Yoda.jpg.8228f72ea80f7b370c7310d26b350ee2.jpg

Hah, I was like you and Nart when I started several months ago with just wanting to keep it simple and stick to softies and few LPS.  Well here I am four months later chomping at the bit to fill my tank with sticks! 

I have the AI Prime HD over my EVO 13.5 and love it so far.  I love the fact I can control it from my phone and programming the light intensity/duration is really easy.  I've had a lot of new growth on all soft, LPS, and my one SPS (Monti Cap) since upgrading from the stock light on the EVO.  However, I can't comment on the Kessil because I have never used it.

I gotta keep telling myself to take it slow and gain some more experience before I go spending a ton of money on fancy acro!

• Like 1
ackattackkk
2 hours ago, Nart said:

Thanks all.

It think looks oo-kay. I'm never too happy with my rockscaping, but... I digress.

Back on topic.

So, with the IM25 Lagoon, we kind of have a sump, more of a AIO sump. I use part of the sump to grow chaeto in the back. If you ever need some tips/advice let me know. I will gladly unload my knowledge of what I know with the tank to you.

Lmao Ack - I was exactly the same way as you. I started off with a simple Aqueon 15G, just wanted to own clowns and a few zoas. anddddddddddd thennnnnn?

The IM25 Lagoon happened :D

It's kind of like working out in the gym, "Let's take this to the next level! GAINZZZZZZ!"

Once you get bit by the coral bug... it'll happen quick, it's not a bad thing. Well, kind of, for the wallet it's bad.

Do you have an addictive personality? If not, you might be fine, I can't guarantee hah.

thanks for your help :). Ive had a Saltwater tank before it was a regular 30 gallon tank with a reefbreeders light. Had 2 clowns and a flame angel in there with a few zoas and some other coral and it was up fro about 2 years running fine. Moved in january and took my tank down and regret it everyday. My birthday is in August so I think im going to treat myself to the 25 Lagoon. I love the look of that thing.

Dont get annoyed if I ask you a bunch of dumb questions lmao

• Like 1

Love my regular ai prime. On my 24" long tank and its great.

Love the controllability straight off my phone. No extra controller costs.

• Like 2
Kellie in CA

This thread is interesting.  I'm about to attempt to light my new 25 Lagoon with a Nanobox Tide.  If it doesn't work out, I'll upgrade when I have the funds.  But I think it will be just fine. 

• Like 1
ackattackkk
7 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

This thread is interesting.  I'm about to attempt to light my new 25 Lagoon with a Nanobox Tide.  If it doesn't work out, I'll upgrade when I have the funds.  But I think it will be just fine. 

I was thinking about trying to find a used Nanobox Duo if the price was right. But the prime hd is so nice for such a small price

The only complaint with the AI Prime HD's again, is that when it gets to the outer edges of the tank. you'll have lower PAR, which is fine for most people. But like in my situation right now, I am wanting/needing to set-up a frag rack soon on the left side of my tank to hold some SPS frags... so yeah.

• Like 1
ackattackkk
1 hour ago, Nart said:

The only complaint with the AI Prime HD's again, is that when it gets to the outer edges of the tank. you'll have lower PAR, which is fine for most people. But like in my situation right now, I am wanting/needing to set-up a frag rack soon on the left side of my tank to hold some SPS frags... so yeah.

I know! I just dont want to spend the money on the Prime and then want to upgrade to a better light and spend money on 2 lights lol. I do not "plan" to have SPS coral and dont "plan" to have coral on every inch of the tank so Prime should be fine for me. Im a big zoa/ hammers fan so thats what my tank will mostly consist of.

Honestly, you should be fine with a single AI Prime HD then. But if you find yourself bored and wanting to get into SPS... we'll be on the same boat haha.

I have a spare Current Marine Orbit Pro laying around. I might toss that on the left side if the SPS frags looks like it needs it.