SaltCritters.com

MrJDanP's Nano Reef Build

MrJDanP

• 3 weeks later...

Back from home to check up on the tank:

Wasn't that dirty and fish seemed fine along with snail and hermits. Hammer is looking good and acans just want to be fed I think haha. GSP didn't even know I was gone no surprise there. Chalice is the same as it was before I left, small tissue recession. Doesn't seem to have gotten worse though. Most disappointed about my montipora because it seems that it has started to bleach. Not sure why though. I remember watching it expel some zooxanthellae before I left. I've never seen this but thats my best guess. (shooting out thin, filament like red/brown strings). Besides that everything is good!

SG 1.024

NO3 20 ppm

NO2 0 ppm 

Alk 180 ppm (i know a little low)

pH 8.0

Ca 375 ppm (also a little low)

Will post some pictures later as Im headed back to Va for another week today

controlledentropy
37 minutes ago, MrJDanP said:

Back from home to check up on the tank:

Wasn't that dirty and fish seemed fine along with snail and hermits. Hammer is looking good and acans just want to be fed I think haha. GSP didn't even know I was gone no surprise there. Chalice is the same as it was before I left, small tissue recession. Doesn't seem to have gotten worse though. Most disappointed about my montipora because it seems that it has started to bleach. Not sure why though. I remember watching it expel some zooxanthellae before I left. I've never seen this but thats my best guess. (shooting out thin, filament like red/brown strings). Besides that everything is good!

SG 1.024

NO3 20 ppm

NO2 0 ppm 

Alk 180 ppm (i know a little low)

pH 8.0

Ca 375 ppm (also a little low)

Will post some pictures later as Im headed back to Va for another week today

Nice progress so far. I had the same issue with my acro. So, I just moved it back to the sand bed, maybe the light was too strong or maybe it was sick, I don't know with these guys. They have so many mouths yet, none of them speak.

• 4 months later...

Long absence I know but......

Graduated college Saturday with my degree in Marine Science and minor in Biology. Success!

Tank is still up and running, took some small hits during the semester. Chalice kicked the can, montipora also didn't make it. However, everything else is still healthy as can be. Pictures will ensue today or definitely sometime this week. Plan to resume regular postings on here now as I'm no longer running around like a sleep deprived undergrad on display for the potential new students on tour.

Until Later 

• Like 1

Acans have been through a spell of partial polyp extension, recently they are looking much better. I was beginning to worry some however patience paid off in this case.

Ricordeas moved off their plug and down onto the rock. Hopefully they will actually split soon.

GSP has a vermetid snail on the right side. Its sweeper tentacles have paved a scar through the middle of the gsp.

Hammer has grown very slowly. Hoping it will branch soon!

Clowns are doing well

Excited to be able to put more effort back into this!

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday update:

Most recent FTS. The ricordea decided to detach from the rock for some reason, so I've been trying to trouble shoot that. I've had to move it twice now because it keeps getting blow around in the current. I intended for it to be safe in this little hole that I posted, but I think the snail moved it. Currently, it is in the back right corner of the sand bed from its own doing. I've decided to leave it there for now because I don't want to stress it out anymore than need be.

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

• Haha 1

New corals are looking great so far. Been wanting a frogspawn forever happy to finally have one. The blasto has some cool color, it accepted food yesterday without a hitch. Hoping the chalice does well in this tank. The last one I had didn't last unfortunately, so hopefully this plating one will do better. 

Tested alkalinity and calcium back to back to get an idea of daily depletion for the first time. 

Monday:

dKH - 9.8

Ca - 400 ppm

Tuesday:

dKH - 9.6

Ca - 395 ppm

pH stays steady at 8. I plan on making a greater effort to keep my parameters constant between water changes to see if that helps with growth. Haven't really seen too much of that. 

Anyways, cheers. Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

IMG_1974.jpg

• Like 1

Most recent FTS and coral close ups. New frags seems to be doing well. Have my kessil running on acclimation mode right now. Never been too fond of it and chose to tweak the light gradually on my own. Seems to be doing alright this go around though. Need to start planning the move from the frag rack to the rock now!

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is going well. Still haven't placed the new frags yet, weekend project I think. If some of you have been paying attention, there is a vermetid snail in the GSP that is creating a scar down the center. It's been there since I got this colony and I've just been lazy. Will remove it this weekend. 

Waiting for the stanley cup game to start, pulling for the caps! Picked up a bottle of gentleman jack. Never had it before and don't recommend.

Here's to a good weekend everyone!

5 minutes ago, Mckinney0171 said:

Hate these little devils.  I crush every one I see.

Haha yeah, they are quite the little a$$hole. Should've taken care of this one a long time ago. Oh well

• MrJDanP changed the title to MrJDanP's Nano Reef Build - Frogspawn question

Two of the tentacles around the mouth have contracted down to the point where they look as if they will pinch off. Is this due to too much flow?

Thats the only thing I can think of. Nothing else appears to be out of the ordinary.

IMG_1998.jpg

17 minutes ago, MrJDanP said:

Two of the tentacles around the mouth have contracted down to the point where they look as if they will pinch off. Is this due to too much flow?

Thats the only thing I can think of. Nothing else appears to be out of the ordinary.

IMG_1998.jpg

Sometimes some of the tentacles spin around due to the motion/flow and look like they are going to break off. I would not worry tbh unless the coral starts to rot or lose its flesh.

• Like 1
TotesMaGoat
8 hours ago, MrJDanP said:

IMG_1998.jpg

Looks normal to me. They won’t inflate as much with more flow, but that one looks healthy as is. Mine did the same

• MrJDanP changed the title to MrJDanP's Nano Reef Build - Chalice growth!

Been a little while, but check out this chalice growth from when I got it in May to just now.

Also, will be moving back to my moms next week until I hear back from a job -- Any tips for moving?

Will be purchasing like a 2 quart water jug for the two clowns and glad-ware and a cooler for the coral. Then the live rock in a bucket. 6 hour trip, will I need to worry about water circulation or will sloshing create enough gas exchange? 

Thanks for all comments!

chalice 5-18.jpeg

chalice 7-18.jpeg

Corals are looking nice! I wouldn't worry about circulation for that length of trip. I find timing the breakdown and setup to be the most important. The more moves I do, the slower and more lax I get with setting up quickly, which is not good! I'd suggest limiting the number of stops on the trip. I use a second key to leave the car on to minimize baking temp swings. I intentionally size out some of the plasticwear for key easy to damage pieces (like frogspawn) and rocks with sensitive corals on them. I use tough slider ziplock bags to separate corals from each other inside the plasticwear, so one melting coral will not take down the rest. Double bagging never hurt.

This time around, I glued my scape together because redoing the scape is always the most stressful part for me, especially when corals are growing all over the rocks. Good luck with the move!

• MrJDanP changed the title to MrJDanP's Nano Reef Build - Moving question

Hello all, I have a question about moving my fish...Would it be better to put them both into a 1 gallon water jug like such

Image result for 1 gallon water jug 

or would it be better to separate them into their own 1 gallon Ziploc bags? I am concerned about the bags integrity

just finished setting everything back up at my moms. pics will come later in the week. I hope everything gets settled in well! wheww what a day been moving all week and its finally over

Here are some pics from after the move. Pulled the GSP out because it wasn't healthy. Orange ricordeas also didn't make it, but everything else is fine! 

Blasto has two new heads growing, super stoked about that

Got some purple mushrooms from a place in stafford, va yesterday

full tank 8-18.jpeg

blasto heads.jpeg

purple mushrooms.jpeg

• MrJDanP changed the title to MrJDanP's Nano Reef Build

FTS from today and a close up of the digitata I got from the first lfs I ever sat foot in back when I started. Was cool to go back and see the place after about 4 years of not being there. 

My frogspawn has also split into two heads which I was very excited about, I'll try to get a good pic of that soon.

Looking into controllable nano pumps for my new take on sps...any suggestions? I'm currently looking at the aqua gadget 165 wavelink

FTS 8-25-18.jpeg

Montdigi 8-25-18.jpeg

• MrJDanP changed the title to MrJDanP's Nano Reef Build