inTank Media Baskets

MrJDanP's Nano Reef Build

MrJDanP

This is my third tank! Started the cycle for the tank on June 22nd. Will be moving at the end of July so won't be adding any livestock to the tank until August. Using Indo-Pacific live sand, BRS Reef Saver rock, and Red Sea Coral Pro salt. Just added the light on July 8th. Diatoms are beginning to grow!

Equipment List

• stock pump (slight noise doesn't bother me) - after breaking in the noise is equivalent to a quiet fan
  • IM custom caddy with filter floss - chemi-pure blue, and live rock rubble
  • Kessil A80 Tuna blue with gooseneck
  • Kessil A series spectral controller
  • Cobalt Neotherm 50w heater
  • AutoAqua smart ATO micro

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Got everything up and running again on 8/2/17 and waited a week to let everything stabilize. Yesterday, I went to my lfs and got two clowns and a frag of gsp. I've never had clowns before so I'm excited to watch these guys. One is a premium snowflake and the other is a cappuccino. 

Happy reefing!

The clowns started fighting for dominance tonight, kinda nerve-wracking to watch. They are both ocellaris and the cappuccino is slightly larger, but he seems to be getting it handed to him by the snowflake. I have high hopes that the squabbling will end soon...at least I hope :mellow:

Mckinney0171

They will settle it.  I have found some oscellaris clownfish to be really aggressive.  Once they settle their differences they will get along.  You will always have a dominant submissive act that that occurs.  It's cute to watch.  

Here is an overview of the nano

Light: Kessil A80
Return: stock

Heater: neotherm 50w

Filtration: stock filter sock with chemipure blue, custom caddy should arrive tomorrow

Rock: approx 8lbs of reef saver

Sand: CaribSea indopacific

Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro

IMG_1210.jpg

Premium snowflake ocellaris

IMG_1232.jpg

1 hour ago, MrJDanP said:

GSP frag

IMG_1235.jpg

Cappuccino ocellaris ... and the standoff for dominance

IMG_1236.jpg

Clown vs clown, who will win? *plays ominous music*

:lol:

• Haha 1
Mckinney0171

That cappuccino is one good looking clownfish.  Keep an eye on those star polyps.   I have an entire wall covered in them on my main display.  They grow fast.  One of my spotcinctus clownfish hosts it sometimes.  He thinks it's an anemone.

54 minutes ago, Mckinney0171 said:

That cappuccino is one good looking clownfish.  Keep an eye on those star polyps.   I have an entire wall covered in them on my main display.  They grow fast.  One of my spotcinctus clownfish hosts it sometimes.  He thinks it's an anemone.

I just glued some to the back wall of my tank hoping it spreads 

• Haha 1
Mckinney0171
22 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

It will.  Just maintain your calcium and alkalinity and with good lighting it will take off in a couple months.  Looks really nice in a big patch.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Mckinney0171 said:

Yeah clowns can pick some odd things to host haha. And I preemptively placed the gsp on an island so it wouldn't take over the tank, can't wait for it to cover the island though! It's only opened half way the last two days, going through my diatom bloom right now. Should be back to normal in a day or two. I plan on going to my lfs today to grab a few hermits and snails, probably Nassarius

4 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

That will look awesome when its covered. I've thought about gluing a couple of shelf rocks to magnets and setting them on the back corner with gsp for a "floating" grass bed look. Nice tank by the way!

• Thanks 1
Mckinney0171

Ahh yes snails. Get some trochus snails if they have them.  They are the best most active type of snail.   I really like the scarlet legged hermit crabs  as a good peaceful clean up crew member.  They have the bright red legs. They are completely peaceful and don't mess with anyone in the tank.  

Nassarius snails are good too for picking up food and fish poo.  I have a few of them in my tank.  

I am considering a blue linkia starfish for my tank when I add my next fish.  I think four fish is enough for me in this tank.   Thinking a flasher wrasse...

On 8/20/2017 at 2:42 PM, Mckinney0171 said:

Ahh yes snails. Get some trochus snails if they have them.  They are the best most active type of snail.   I really like the scarlet legged hermit crabs  as a good peaceful clean up crew member.  They have the bright red legs. They are completely peaceful and don't mess with anyone in the tank.  

Nassarius snails are good too for picking up food and fish poo.  I have a few of them in my tank.  

I am considering a blue linkia starfish for my tank when I add my next fish.  I think four fish is enough for me in this tank.   Thinking a flasher wrasse...

A flasher wrasse would be very cool and yeah I hope the skimmer is ready to go to work lol

I got a few small goodies at the lfs yesterday, will post pics later this afternoon. I start my last first day of undergrad today!

• Like 2
Mckinney0171
1 hour ago, MrJDanP said:

A flasher wrasse would be very cool and yeah I hope the skimmer is ready to go to work lol

I got a few small goodies at the lfs yesterday, will post pics later this afternoon. I start my last for day of undergrad today!

My skimmer is the ghost skimmer.  It has worked pretty well for me.  I like to skim wet anyways since I carbon dose.  I empty it about twice a week.  

So at my LFS yesterday I picked up a clean up crew, scarlet hermits and Turbo snails

IMG_1256.jpg

I also picked up a frag of Anthelia

IMG_1255.jpg

And saw this guy working hard for his boss :lol:

IMG_1243.jpg

• Haha 3
59 minutes ago, Mckinney0171 said:

Love scarlet hermits!!  They mind their own business and just chill.

I tried to buy one from Live Aquaria and they sent me an empty shell.  And my two ceriths turned out to be one cerith and a hermit crab lol.

• Wow 2

The clowns are adjusting to each other well now, the cappuccino still seems to be dominant. Keeps corralling the snowflake around the tank. I watched them for awhile after feeding last night and there was an "undesirable" piece of mysis floating around that the cappuccino didn't want. The snowflake kept trying to get to it but the cappuccino would't stand for this and eventually ate the mysis anyway. Thought that was amazing to watch haha. The snowflake keeps dancing so they're close to pairing!

Here they are swimming together

IMG_1262.jpg

• Like 2

Also, they GSP is starting to open up more finally. The Anthelia is open all the way now...but not facing the front of the tank *face palm*

I thought this frag had some really cool coloration; green mouth, pink tentacles with an orange stripe down the center.

Here's a decent shot from the left side of the tank

IMG_1264.thumb.jpg.42febd604a7a14810d0741acc2b29ff9.jpg

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Your clowns are just too cute! Good luck with your tank the aquascape looks good. I have both the corals you have. In my tank it took a little while to see growth but once they start they spread quick. 

Thanks! Yeah I know they will take off eventually, so I have them separated from the main rock work. I kinda planned to use the rock that the waving hand is on as a zoa garden. Maybe I still will and just keep the creeper fragged back. Still have some time to think about that haha

• MrJDanP changed the title to MrJDanP's Nano Reef Build