Cultivated Reef

1st Marine Reef IM20 Fusion - May 2020 UPDATE

Lugmos12

fishfreak0114

Sponge?  I have some similar stuff growing in the back of my biocube.  If it is, it's harmless, unless it starts growing onto coral.  But it's easy to pluck off.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Sponge?  I have some similar stuff growing in the back of my biocube.  If it is, it's harmless, unless it starts growing onto coral.  But it's easy to pluck off.

I think it's growing on two different parts of the tank.

I had some of these sponges in a few spots in my tank as well. It actually grew over a big piece of GSP mat. The GSP polyps would actually just open through the sponge. The sponge didnt harm anything in the tank, but they can grow rather large and may became unsightly. 

• Thanks 1
On 12/10/2017 at 6:05 AM, TheBig053 said:

I had some of these sponges in a few spots in my tank as well. It actually grew over a big piece of GSP mat. The GSP polyps would actually just open through the sponge. The sponge didnt harm anything in the tank, but they can grow rather large and may became unsightly. 

if they get out of control i’ll just scrape them off maybe 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Might wanna look into why the mushrooms are splitting this often. I don’t think it’s normal unless we are talkin months apart?

Alk from RSCP salt is high but if you’re using that salt make sure you keep it up there and not have it fluctuate.

Not sure what’s consuming the ALK so fast in your tank though...what test kit are you using? Have you checked with another?

Corraline uses carbonate, cal and magnesium as well. 

• Thanks 1

Update: did a big cleanup. stirred up the sand and sucked out a bunch of gunk. fragged the kenya tree for the second time. moved my rocks around but need to do something about the flow. 

74F2B777-63F0-4423-AB69-145AC71DFF0C.jpeg

C0168A38-5C73-4DF5-ACB1-1ABC74BE3276.jpeg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

If you’re only taking a small amount out, you should have no problems just taking it out. Your bio filter won’t be affected that much. 

I'm terrified to crash my tank lol

fishfreak0114
12 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

I'm terrified to crash my tank lol

It’ll be fine. I removed a massive rock from my tank a couple months ago with zero issues. It was like 5lbs I think. 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

It’ll be fine. I removed a massive rock from my tank a couple months ago with zero issues. It was like 5lbs I think. 

My number one regret is not planning out the rockscape better and choosing better rocks initially.

fishfreak0114
20 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

My number one regret is not planning out the rockscape better and choosing better rocks initially.

That was mine as well.  I crammed almost 30 pounds of rock in as a pile/wall when I started because I thought I was supposed to!  Much happier since I removed a bunch.

• Wow 1
On 20/02/2018 at 4:41 AM, Lugmos12 said:

The stock pump is humming and vibrating - loud enough that it’s annoying. any other EVO owners experience this?

Interesting thread. I know youve upgraded your lights but I was just wondering if you got any growth of your red montipora under stock lights?

2 hours ago, hyoib said:

Interesting thread. I know youve upgraded your lights but I was just wondering if you got any growth of your red montipora under stock lights?

it grew a little bit with the stock lights. but most of the growth has been under the Current Orbit lights. I did A LOT of moving my corals around so other factors could contribute to the growth as well.

StephLionfish

I replaced the pump in mine, but I'll suggest (if you upgrade) to not go with the Sicce Syncra 1.0. Fits too snugly and hums.

Your tank is so beautiful, do you have issues keeping the soft corals at bay in a tank this small?

• Like 1