1st Marine Reef IM20 Fusion - May 2020 UPDATE

Lugmos12

Test params today.

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phos: 0

Salinity: 1.025

Kh/Alk: 8.9

Ph: 8.2

Calcium: 440

I lost my hammer coral (my fault; I broke it). My kenya tree is finally opening up. The mushrooms look really pretty. I'll post pictures later today.

• Like 2

A few more pics LOL I can't help myself! :haha:

This is my smaller clown eating a pellet; I call him Speedy. He has a white spot on his fin. I'm worried it could be ick so I'm considering doing a freshwater dip tomorrow.

@Clown79 @Lula_Mae thoughts?

_DSC8705-Edit.thumb.JPG.c5150904c3a8659ad079f5a59a1e7d98.JPG

This is a green digitata I believe. I'm just testing to see how well the lights can handle SPS. The only SPS I really want is a red montipora.

_DSC8454-Edit.thumb.JPG.b5d0b07b02dc414ddbd0344388e14426.JPG

Front and side tank shot.

_DSC8632-Edit.thumb.JPG.3dca445a7f065022f3b7b97a84305729.JPG

_DSC8767-Edit.thumb.JPG.a69d76ae93b33a58416e57df3dd5f64c.JPG

• Like 4

Found a reefer on CL. He has "2 zoas colony's , a frag of some high end zoas about 3-4 heads, neon green octospawn , 2 head blasto frag, neon green star polyps, green hairy mushroom, green slimer (browned out) and satosa frag"...:haha::haha::haha:

is this too much for a tank my size (Fluval Evo 13.5)?

• Like 1

I wouldn't do the hairy mushroom. They can grow very big and have eaten fish.

Stick with ricordea mushrooms. They are very pretty.

Gsp spreads fast and can take over if it's not on its own.

The green slimer acro  isn't a beginner or new tank coral. Acropora needs very stable conditions and pristine water.

Zoas are great, octospawn is great, blasto are very pretty and easy. The monti, should be fine.

The tank looks very good.

Before rushing and doing a freshwater dip on the fish which can cause stress, ensure  it is ich.

A freshwater dip will only help a bit. But to truly get rid of it, you will need to remove all fish into a hospital tank, treat them for ich, and leave your tank fidhless for 8 weeks. 

Freshwater dips will not remove the ich from the tank, meaning the fish will get reinfected.

You'll need to pull the fishes from the tank, and I recommend looking into the tank transfer method (there's some links on my tank thread from May or so) which was recommended to me (if it's really ich).  A bit labor intensive but supposed to be gentler on the fish.  And yeah, you'd have to leave the tank fallow for 8-12 weeks.

5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

You'll need to pull the fishes from the tank, and I recommend looking into the tank transfer method (there's some links on my tank thread from May or so) which was recommended to me (if it's really ich).  A bit labor intensive but supposed to be gentler on the fish.  And yeah, you'd have to leave the tank fallow for 8-12 weeks.

How do I know if it's really ich?

13 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

How do I know if it's really ich?

Well, I'm no fish expert but when I was trying to figure out what my baby clown had, I looked at pictures and read up online to try to figure it out (the clown didn't have ich, or at least not only ich).

9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Well, I'm no fish expert but when I was trying to figure out what my baby clown had, I looked at pictures and read up online to try to figure it out (the clown didn't have ich, or at least not only ich).

The white spot disappeared and I see no other spots on the fish, corals, or inverts :haha:

My kenya tree and mushrooms looked HUGE today.

_DSC8815-Edit.thumb.JPG.3d0ffd789e1d7b1a56b06830db38a9a5.JPG_DSC8822-Edit.thumb.JPG.89220ad46cbf41f94601ce6ea8952563.JPG

_DSC8864-Edit.thumb.JPG.44467885b9e96fbac4a306c65ab3df1c.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, TinyOcean said:

Nice corals! Glad the spot is gone. Beware the future Kenya babies! Lol mine has dropped like 5 in the last 4 months.

Thank you! I grabbed another haul so I will be updating the threat again later tonight. This is my last batch of corals for a LONG time. :haha:

I understand that most corals get their food from the chemistry of the salt; however I've read of users here feeding their corals using mysis shrimp or reef chili. Is this something recommended for an established tank or just something 'extra' that can be done once in a while?

2 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

I understand that most corals get their food from the chemistry of the salt; however I've read of users here feeding their corals using mysis shrimp or reef chili. Is this something recommended for an established tank or just something 'extra' that can be done once in a while?

I believe people are finding now that corals do better with some feeding, and they certainly will grow faster (usually).  You can do a feeding a few hours or a day before a water change which will help export the excess nutrients from the feed. :) Depending on what it is, sometimes it produces better colors for the corals as well.

• Thanks 1

Okay sad news today as I found my smaller clown lying on the bottom of the tank.  I think the female clown attacked him: she had been a bit more aggressive lately so i assumed that it was just normal hierarchy-building behavior.

IMG_7866.thumb.JPG.78689431e4e49673ff263411cf194a2b.JPG

• Sad 4
50 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

Okay sad news today as I found my smaller clown lying on the bottom of the tank.  I think the camel clown attacked him: she had been a bit more aggressive lately so i assumed that it was just normal hierarchy-building behavior.

IMG_7866.thumb.JPG.78689431e4e49673ff263411cf194a2b.JPG

:( RIP fishie

• Sad 1