Top Shelf Aquatics

New 3.7 Fish Only Pico up and running

Jholm007

gone_PHiSHin

yep, i've personally seen zebras fight to the death, pull a scarlet out of its shell, rip apart an acan with a pellet of food in its mouth, and go after a yellow clown goby. 

not for me.

7 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

yep, i've personally seen zebras fight to the death, pull a scarlet out of its shell, rip apart an acan with a pellet of food in its mouth, and go after a yellow clown goby. 

not for me.

Yikes!  Mine mostly harassed everything relentlessly, even made my feather duster drop its crown and the pom pom never came out of hiding till I banished the durn hermit lol.

The one I have is not aggressive, just can't sit still.  Always moving and crawling on everything.  The RLHCs are not as bad.  The will be moving to the 28g this weekend.  

4 minutes ago, Jholm007 said:

Does anyone know what this little thing is?  Just above the bubble algae?

IMG_3534.JPG

Feather duster! :wub:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jholm007 said:

Do they get very big?  It was on this frag when I got it.  Did not even see it till I got home.  

I don't think the little hitchhiker dusters get very big.  Yours has very cool coloration, too!  I have a larger purple and yellow one in my tank.  I love feather dusters.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I don't think the little hitchhiker dusters get very big.  Yours has very cool coloration, too!  I have a larger purple and yellow one in my tank.  I love feather dusters.

I love them too. I have 3:blink:

• Like 1

I just saw another post that said these little guys kill zoas and SPS.  Should I be that worried?  The tank this frag came from all looked fine.

fishfreak0114

I've never had any problems with hitch hiker feather dusters. I must have gotten lucky with my zebra hermit, other than irritating corals when he walks on them, and the occasional food snatching, he's a model citizen.  Same with my scarlet, Halloween (so far, new addition), and blue legs.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Jholm007 said:

I just saw another post that said these little guys kill zoas and SPS.  Should I be that worried?  The tank this frag came from all looked fine.

lol whoever said that was either not talking about feather dusters, or was sorely mistaken.  They're some of the best hitchhikers you can get.

• Like 3

I have this tank also. Did lots of upgrades to it. Used par 30s from coral compulsion. But just recently  started a diy build using a aqualighter fixture. 

Ok, found another hitchhiker.  Got any ideas what this is?between the two heads?  It comes out like the feather duster, but only has two arms. 

IMG_3535.JPG

57 minutes ago, Jholm007 said:

Ok, found another hitchhiker.  Got any ideas what this is?between the two heads?  It comes out like the feather duster, but only has two arms. 

IMG_3535.JPG

Hard to tell from the photo, but if it has a hard tube like a feather duster, it may be a Vermatid Snail. 

It's hard to tell but it does put me in mind of a vermetid snail.  Does it ever have "strings" around it or coming out of its tube?  I consider vermetid a pest and superglue their tubes shut, some people crush them.  The stringy mucous they produce can be a coral irritant.  Just make sure that's what it is first lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So an update.  All water tests are really good.  I have added a shroom, some candy canes and some zoas.  Also som BLHC and snails.  My favorite addition is my buddy Scooter.  He loves it and is very active.  Never had a massive algae bloom, but plenty of copepods for him to munch on.  Wondering if the light is too strong for the shroom.  She started of small, grew a bit, and now seems retracted.  Any thoughts.  I have also been using Red Sea reef foundation ABC. Seems to make the corals grow. 

IMG_3545.JPG

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

IMG_3548.JPG

Forgot to say that the clowns have been moved.  New home. 

IMG_3550.JPG

gone_PHiSHin
2 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but how much research are you doing before you buy livestock? I really wouldn't recommend putting a Scooter Blenny in a pico.

i didn't want to be the guy to say it, because it's already done...but yeah, that scooter blenny should not be in a new tank, especially a pico.

• Like 3

Do be careful with the scooter, especially if he's not eating any frozen.  Dragonets are really not a good choice for pico or even a lot of nano tanks due to their specialized dietary requirements.  Be prepared to take him back to the LFS even if you don't get a credit for him.  Last thing you want is for such a beautiful fish to starve to death. :(

• Like 3

So I know you guys are concerned with my Scooter.  Well, I decided to build a totally separate refugium to raise pods for him.  Even stocked it with Tigger Pods to start.  Also, he was already eating well, but I'm obsessed with my tanks.  So more stuff to do.  I can suck some up with a basted and put them in the pico.

Does anybody know what this weird thing is?  It is in the algae I got from my LGS. There are actually two.  This one is the biggest.  Almost looks like some type of coral. 

IMG_3569.JPG

IMG_3568.JPG

Hmm that looks like it might be aiptasia, but its hard to tell from the photo. Also, the scooter blenny not eating was only one of the concerns, the size of the tank is really the more important factor. There are only a few fish I would even remotely consider in a tank under 5 gallons, and that isn't one of them.

• Like 1