Top Shelf Aquatics

New 3.7 Fish Only Pico up and running

Jholm007

Can someone recommend upgraded lighting?  May still be a few weeks before I can do much else to this tank, but want to get a start on saving for a good light.

Right now I'm running 3 Current USA 12" LED strips over my recently set up Mr.Aqua 3g and the zoa,gsp,leather and xenia frags I've added are doing well just with 1 of the LEDS running for about 12hrs.

57 minutes ago, Jholm007 said:

Can someone recommend upgraded lighting?  May still be a few weeks before I can do much else to this tank, but want to get a start on saving for a good light.

Aquamaxx nemolight nano

Par30 or par38 (rapid led or coral compulsion)

Kessil a80

• Like 2

Kessil a80! I have a light equivalent to that just $140 cheaper. and I can grow anything I want. And by the way zoas like high flow and light. 

gone_PHiSHin
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Aquamaxx nemolight nano

Par30 or par38 (rapid led or coral compulsion)

Kessil a80

this

depends how much you want to spend

id go with the A80 over this tank and you could put whatever you want in there coral wise.

i would not recommend any corals though with that current light

Any of the lights listed will work.

The coral compulsion par38 are full spectrum sane with their par30.

The aquamaxx nemolight is programmable, i use one on my 10g and it works very well.

The a80 tuna blue

Ai prime is another great light

All of these will work on bigger tanks 

So as buddy at work is giving me a really sweet light, and a neighbor is going to give me some GSP.  Water tested today perfect, and so looking to add the GSP this weekend.  My clown is still super happy.  I added two red legged HC and one left handed zebra HC.  Got a small, almost minute hair algae on the LR.  Back where the light hits it best.  I think I have been running the light too much.

I also talked to a guy at my LFS and I am going to bump the GPH from the stock 40 to 80.  He said I really do not need much over that to do some really basic softies.  He said with a tank so small too much flow will blow sh** everywhere.

My 160gph is perfect and adjustable. Put lighting aside, I believe water quality and proper flow is the most important aspect of reefing. Alot of people do not have enough flow. 80 gph should be good. I never used the stock 40 gph pump i started at 120gph. 

Well, this idea was my wife's.  She said I needed an indoor hobby.  She said I am far too anal, so I needed something that would cause me to have something to worry about.  My other hobby is golf.  Why could I not choose things less expensive?

Update:

So I upgraded the original pump to an 80 GPH.  Also put the original 40 GPH in the back of the tank to alleviate dead spots.  Turned in down to half way volume.  Water readings are doing really well, but I have been changing 1/3 to almost half the water weekly.  Added a zebra crab and two RL HC.  A neighbor of mine gave me some GSP and some small SF.  Guy I work with gave me a Wave Point Blade light.  The bracket did not fit my tank, so I just lay it on the top.  I also made an open air tip from a target baking rack.  I think it looks nice, and everything in the tank is happy. 

IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3516.JPG

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LX20000 said:

Always sad to see fish in a tank this small.

Well, I am working on a JBJ 28G.  So once I have that up and running they will be moving.  To be honest though, they are really happy in there.

• Like 3