Coral Vue Hydros

New 3.7 Fish Only Pico up and running

Jholm007

Hello!  I'm new to SW tanks, but had several FW setups over the years.  Guy I work with has a small 2.7 on his desk, and it got me fired up.  He has just rock, no sand, crabs and a clown.  He is less than aggressive on his tank, but has had no losses.  

I bought a 3.7 AIO from Petco, to see if I could manage a similar tank to his.  I bought water from LFS and 5 lbs of live rock, the cure in-house.  They told me to just get it running and add a small fish.  Said there would be a limited cycle due to sand/Rock/ water I got from them.  They told me they had the perfect fish.  The smallest clown they have ever had.  He is less than an inch.  Anyway, got it all up and running and clown seems really happy.  Named him Pennywise.  What else, non-fish should I add to the tank?  I will be very diligent on water changes and topping off.  

The LFS is so close to my house they want me to keep them updated.  Also, tank has a 40 gph pump and a heater. Water is constant at 78.  Will upgrade the pump, depending on what else I decide to add.

Anyway, thanks for reading and looking forward to the input.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
gone_PHiSHin

i'll be the first to say it, i am not a fan of adding a fish before you are certain the cycle has completed. 

if you are going to keep the clown in there during this, be sure to monitor ammonia very closely.

and before anyone else says it, a clown will be too big for a 3.7 gallon tank eventually. you'll be ok for a while but they grow quickly and he will soon be too cramped for that tank.  also they are pigs and can make a mess of the small volume of water very quickly so you will need to be on top of testing and water changes.  there are much better options for that tank as far as fish go, so keep in mind your best bet will be to trade him in for something better suited for that size.

that being said, welcome to the SW world and to Nano Reef.  the rock looks good, I'd get a couple snails or hermits in there to keep the algae down that happens with new tanks. in the meantime, research research research!  there is immense knowledge here if you search for it!!

• Like 5

The clown will outgrow it, however there are tons of neat fish that can be kept in a pico! Mostly gobies, and many are captive bred as well. 

• Like 2

Thanks for responding.  Can you recommend some fish, or should I go with inverts?  Thought I might eventually move to some zoas or soft corals.  If I do I will have to upgrade the lighting and the pump.  Will be adding a cleaning crew soon.  Can you also recommend a home test kit?  I have read a lot about API and Red Sea, but which would be best for this small application?

BustytheSnowMaam

I think the clown will be fine in that pico.  In the wild, they stay within a few inches of their anemone.  They don't need a lot of swim room.  Just stay on top of your water changes.  You could add hermits and a cleaner shrimp (like a blood shrimp or skunk shrimp) when you're sure your tank has cycled properly.  

My .02 on test kits- and I'm probably going to be flamed for this- is just buy 5-in-1 test strips.  They're cheap, but all you need to know is whether your levels are at 0.  These will tell you this with far less time, money, and hassle than mixing testing solutions, counting droplets, etc.  You will need a separate ammonia test kit, however.  

Thanks!  Definitely like the idea of simplicity.  When will I know if the tank has completely cycled.  I had it up for a few days and had the LFS check my levels.  All were perfect, but that was with live sand, rock and water.  

BustytheSnowMaam

With the fish in there, I would give it a few days and test it yourself.  When nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia are at 0, you're good to go.  

fishfreak0114

Personally, I think that tank is too small for clowns. My pair utilize my entire bc29. A clown goby or similar would be neat in there though. 

• Like 4

Clowns mostly stay in their anemones, but usually that territory is still a few square feet. Plus as the clown grows it's bioload will become too high for the tank. A smaller goby or small blenny will be a good fish addition. I'd look into anemone shrimps for some cool inverts.

• Like 4

Welcome to the Nano-Reef ,down here we all float.To test NH4 and NO2 I would use the API test kits, they're cheap and easy to use.Later on you can purchase some Sailfert test kits to measure trace element levels.Some zoanthids,mushrooms, and leathers would be perfect.Are you planning on upgrading the lighting?

REPLACE the clown with a barnacle blenny and a pair of greenbanded gobies for ultimate fun. I would not add any additional fish if you plan to keep the clown as it will grow. The fish I listed are way more entertaining though with small bioloads... and not a copycat of your coworkers. 

• Like 6

I really don't like the idea of cycling a tank with wish. If others who are more experienced have had success with it, that may be one thing, but beginners are the ones who need to start slow the most.

Please take your time with starting a saltwater tank, especially with a pico. The difficulty level will already be ramped up here, so there is no need to make animals suffer while you feel all of this out. 

• Like 5

Ya, the fish dies and starts the cycle right? I have the same tank you have but I let it run a few months before adding anything in there. I waited a month and now i do heavy water changes every weekend or whenever something diesnt loik right. 70-80% i have a clown in there with 5 crabs and 3 snails to cleanup after him. Everything is working out well. I hope you have the same success. 

I as well don't agree with or like cycling a tank with a fish. It adds undo stress to its health and possible death.

For cycling api test kits are fine. Test ammonia and nitrate.

Dip srick tests suck and are inaccurate.

I would not add anything more until you are completely sure the tank has cycled.

The clown is small now but 3.7 is tiny for a clownfish. 

A tailspot blenny would be good for that size tank and they have cool personalities.

Thanks guys.  Actually I believe a few of you have had this tank. The Petco special!!  I don't plan on adding any fish right away, and the LFS said I could bring the clown back once he gets bigger.  I do plan to upgrade the light, if/when I decide to go away from fish for soft corals.  

Going to to buy a turkey baster for removing any excess food.  

• Like 1

A turkey baster is much needed. I stick it in each chamber in the back, then blow off my rocks then sand bed, every day or so, then rinse and filter floss then toss it the next day.  Are you using the stock ammonia and carbon that came with the tank? 

• Like 1

Yes, have the stock filtering setup in the back.  I have seen on here where people build DIY media baskets.  I am thinking of going that route.  May take out the sponge in the middle and replace it with some ruble and chaeto.  Should I upgrade the light now, or wait till everything has cycled?  Any lighting recommendations?  I have seen where people have used a Wavepoint Blade.  http://www.wave-point.com/Lighting_folder/Blade HO LED light.html

What else could I use?  Don't really want to have to build a lighting fixture for a bulb or LED strips.

Lighting is the last thing I would change..if you get into corals and do it right it's expensive. I don't have a good light on my tank yet and I'm already over $200 on this little tank. I took out the stock filter trays and stuffed live rock with filter floss on top, and I kept the black foam block to grow bacteria. 

Utahpico, do you have a build thread?

I would like to see what type of pump and stuff you are running.  What is the airline for, and what is the extra power cable on the left?  Did you add an additional pump in the front tank?

I have an air stone in that little spot by the sponge, to agitate the water. And put the stock 40gph pump in the display and a 80gph for return. Tomorrow I'm taking both pumps out cause my tank gets to hot and putting in one 160gph hydor pico. Only 3.5w

It's definitely the proper amount of turnover for filtration around 14x tank water volume and perfect for fowlr tank. If you point the duck bill return up to the surface to try and break the water surface you should get enough oxygen in the water.