Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

McKinney0171's IM Nuvo Fusion 10 build

Mckinney0171

Mckinney0171

Starting a thread for this tank build.  Had a fluval spec v a few years ago that I eventually shut down because of my 100 gallon main display.  In there I have a clownfish that is not being nice to the other fish and have a desire to start a new nano tank.  The clownfish will be transferred into this tank once it is cycled,  I have done a lot of googling and came up with a good set of equipment (I think).  I will be using the Red Sea method of cycling this tank and plan to try dosing using Red Sea products as well as a test to see how my corals do.  On my main display I run two part BRS dosers.   I want to try out the Red Sea ABC+ powder product for this small tank to avoid having to hook up a two part system.  I will use liquid product to boost any levels that lag.   I realize most nano tanks don't need to dose.  But I am doing this in the interest of science to see how stable I can hold my levels.  

I am waiting on all my equipment to be delivered from bulk feed supply, premium aquatics, intank, and Foster smith.

build list to follow when I have some free time.

• Like 1
Mckinney0171

UPDATE: 

Here is my equipment.  Since the goal of this tank is to try out the Red Sea reef products I am going to be dosing slowly once I get the tank cycled.  The only livestock planned so far is an Ocellaris clownfish that was pulled out of my main display when he began to bully my baby ORA Spotcinctus clownfish pair last week.  My corals will mostly be fragged out of my main display tank. 

This is a bedroom tank so I am going to try and keep it clean and neat and reduce water changes to one or two a month since I am dosing and running a skimmer.  Of course that won’t happen until after cycling is complete.  Mostly this tank is a fun tank just to play around with.  My wife is annoyed by it of course.  But, the kids will love a small tank they can see at their level.  My main display is up a little high for them right now.

Waiting on everything to ship.  But, a lot of the stuff I am reusing from a Spec V I had setup a while ago.

Main Equipment:

IM NUVO  Fusion 10 Aquarium (tank only) – This is one of the cheapest things I bought LOL

Lights – AI Prime HD LED (white) with silver tank mount

Return Pump – Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0 (251 GPH) – I will dial this down as necessary but plan to load up my media baskets quite a bit and run the spin stream nozzle.

Media basket – I bought both the InTank and the IM custom caddy media baskets and will return the one I don’t like.

·        I plan to start out with filter floss, chemipure elite, my own concoction of BRS Rox carbon and hi capacity GFO, and possibly Purigen.  I don’t know how much room I have in there and I’m not sure what order to use either.

Protein Skimmer – IM Aqua Gadget SkimMate Desktop Ghost Skimmer

Circulation Pump --  EcoTech Vortech MP10w

ATO – Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152

Heater -- cobalt 50w neotherm

Rock / Sand

5 lbs Reef Saver BRS dry rock

5 lbs Premium Aquatics NANO Live Rock

10 lbs Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand

Rock Mag Junior

Other Equipment:

IM Aqua Gadget Spin Stream Nozzle

OXO Good Grips Calibration Thermometer

Flipper Cleaner Nano

5 gallon Trigger Systems sapphire reservoir for ATO

Tripp Lite 7 outlet surge protector with individual controls

Ammonia alert badge (will be removed after cycle)

inTank Surface Skimmer add on

Additives:

Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit (will use this instead of the shrimp method which I usually used in the past.  I just want to see if it is any difference at all over just throwing a shrimp in)
Red Sea Coral Package (will eventually get a doser for these products once I get a full load of corals)

Red Sea Reef Foundation Package (just for adding as necessary if I have issues with the ABC+ powder)

Red Sea ABC+ (really interested in trying this product on a nano since it is a dry powder)

Mckinney0171

I just have to add that I am so glad that Innovative Marine seems to have gotten their quality control problems under control.

Years ago I purchased a Nuvo 38 when they first started out. I was afraid to ever set it up after reading so many reports of them blowing up in people's houses.  I sold it to a guy who was going to use it for breeding seahorses.  I hope he never had that issue.

I just love the design and look of the IM tanks.  Now they just need to learn how to build a good stand.  They still have the cheap particle board stands which are terrible for saltwater aquariums.  

Mckinney0171

Pictures.  Got my aquarium.  VERY well packed by Bulk Reef Supply.  Huge shout out to those guys.  This is not easy to ship a glass aquarium via UPS and have it arrive in FLAWLESS condition.  Super impressed with them!!  The quality of this aquarium is amazing.  All the glass and silicone is done very cleanly.  It is a beautiful tank.  

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2649.JPG

Mckinney0171

Getting 5 lbs of premium aquatics nano live rock in tonight.  Plan to leave that soak for a few days to watch for hitchhikers.   

Mckinney0171

Got my live rock in yesterday.  Not a fan of writing negative reviews of vendors online.  But, suffice it to say this stuff is not teeming with life in any way.  Basically zero coralline growth and no signs of any life whatsoever.  Looks like wet pukani to me.  

Anyways, caveat emptor.   At least I won't have to worry about hitchhikers.

Tank going up this weekend hopefully.

IMG_2688.JPG

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

Mckinney0171

Just setup my prime hd.  Oh my..  I have been converted.  I was always a ecotech marine guy until now.  So easy to setup this light.  I think these guys do it better than apple.   What an amazing piece of equipment.

Mckinney0171

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2702.JPG

I had to put the tank up higher than I had originally planned.  got worried about the kids messing with wires etc.  now the only thing within reach is my ATO box.   And, they are already obsessed with removing the lid to that since it is within reach LOL.   May try some weatherproofing to tighten up the lid so they can't get it off.

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

added the reef mature pro kit starting yesterday.  my skimmer after a vinegar bath is still going crazy with microbubbles and doing nothing.  though I have never had a skimmer ever start skimming right away.  the kit says you have to be running a skimmer to use it.  but surely they understand that new skimmers take time to start working?  i hope so.   no ammonia shown on the badge but i did measure some on my API test I did yesterday.  will do another test today using a red sea test kit.

IMG_2712.JPG

Yeah, that's strange that they want the skimmer running for the cycling process. I'm sure they have their reason though haha. Awesome looking rock work and clean set up. I like how you have the piece magnetized to the side, may have to copy that :). Glad to see the tank up finally!

Mckinney0171

@MrJDanP Thanks for the nice words.   How is your tank?

this Tank is doing good so far.  Red Sea mature reef kit is working.  Tested ammonia today at 0.5ppm, zero nitrites, and 10ppm nitrates.  Alkalinity slowly going down and will have to add their coralline buffer soon.  They want a skimmer running as the kit starts you dosing NoPoX on day one and daily after that.  Skimmer seems to be starting to foam tonight when I was messing with the air adjustment.

Mckinney0171

Really liking the step by step approach using the Red Sea reef mature pro kit.  As shown in pictures so far so good my numbers are pretty close to what they are suggesting.  On another note I am convinced these Seachem ammonia alert badges are junk entirely.  I won't buy another one.  I know I have ammonia as my tests prove it.  But, the badge still shows zero.

IMG_2721.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG

On 7/17/2017 at 11:27 PM, Mckinney0171 said:

@MrJDanP Thanks for the nice words.   How is your tank?

this Tank is doing good so far.  Red Sea mature reef kit is working.  Tested ammonia today at 0.5ppm, zero nitrites, and 10ppm nitrates.  Alkalinity slowly going down and will have to add their coralline buffer soon.  They want a skimmer running as the kit starts you dosing NoPoX on day one and daily after that.  Skimmer seems to be starting to foam tonight when I was messing with the air adjustment.

My tank is doing great! The cycle is complete now, ammonia and nitrite are at zero and nitrate was at 10 ppm as of Sunday. Need to check again to confirm. Will be moving to my new apartment next week and the tank may end up being taken down for about three days. (Hopefully this won't result in a second cycling, but I wouldn't be surprised if a small spike in nitrogen ensued). College probs.

Mckinney0171

@MrJDanP that's great about your cycle finishing up.  A good water change will bring that nitrate down.  Any thoughts on livestock?  I need to introduce a herbivore to my system shortly after cleanup crew addition using the Red Sea pro kit.  I just am not very interested in tail spot blennies and similar.  What I really like is dwarf angels.  I am considering a  tiny (1/2 - 1" or so) pygmy angelfish.  It should be fine in there for a year or so I think.  Then it gives me an excuse to upgrade to a larger IM tank when the next set of tanks is revealed.  I'm sure they have something up their sleeves.  Today is day 6 of my tank so I have to do some water testing and calculate a daily dosage of coralline booster and start adding that in addition to the daily NoPoX.  

I doubt you will have a second cycle as long as you keep your sand and rock wet.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/20/2017 at 7:39 AM, Mckinney0171 said:

@MrJDanP that's great about your cycle finishing up.  A good water change will bring that nitrate down.  Any thoughts on livestock?  I need to introduce a herbivore to my system shortly after cleanup crew addition using the Red Sea pro kit.  I just am not very interested in tail spot blennies and similar.  What I really like is dwarf angels.  I am considering a  tiny (1/2 - 1" or so) pygmy angelfish.  It should be fine in there for a year or so I think.  Then it gives me an excuse to upgrade to a larger IM tank when the next set of tanks is revealed.  I'm sure they have something up their sleeves.  Today is day 6 of my tank so I have to do some water testing and calculate a daily dosage of coralline booster and start adding that in addition to the daily NoPoX.  

I doubt you will have a second cycle as long as you keep your sand and rock wet.

The pygmy angel would be cool in your tank! I had one as one of my first fish and he stuck with me from my 30 to my 55 until I sold it to leave for college. Awesome fish, he swam through the tank grazing small amounts of algae from the rock and glass at times. Since blennies aren't really an interest for you I can't really think of anything else fish wise as a herbivore. Great place for some cool inverts to step in though to supplement the cleanup crew. 

Let's see some updates its been awhile! Hope the tank is going well :D

• Thanks 1
Mckinney0171

It has been a while since I updated.  Reef is doing amazing.  I credit it to the Red Sea reef mature kit, nopox, and ABC+ supplements.   I am on my third fish and all are doing well.   Midnight oscillaris clownfish hangs on back wall, tailspot (yes) blenny is the star of the show, and my shy little helfrichi firefish in his hidey hole.   My frag rack is covered with battlecorals SPS frags that I snipped off tiny pieces of (great seller by the way).  Everything is doing great.

Thanks for the  post!!   I love seeing pictures of your clowns.   How are they getting along?

IMG_2928.JPG

IMG_2929.JPG

Battlecorals and shy firefish

IMG_2931.JPG

IMG_2933.JPG

They're doing great! The aggression has died down a little and the cappuccino seems like it will become the dominant one  

Your tank is looking awesome. The clown is pretty well hidden on the back wall, I didn't see it at first :ninja:

• Haha 1
Mckinney0171
1 hour ago, MrJDanP said:

They're doing great! The aggression has died down a little and the cappuccino seems like it will become the dominant one  

Your tank is looking awesome. The clown is pretty well hidden on the back wall, I didn't see it at first :ninja:

Yes he blends in very well. Clownfish are so weird.  He loves the way the current flows back there against the wall and that's his spot.   He only leaves it when it's feeding time.  

4 hours ago, Mckinney0171 said:

My frag rack is covered with battlecorals SPS frags that I snipped off tiny pieces of (great seller by the way).

Fragging frags nice.   What sps did you order from battle corals? I  have been thinking of ordering a grab bag from them. Got pictures of your frag rack?

• Thanks 1

Would you mind sharing your experience with running the MP 10 in this tank? Interested in your opinion as well as mode(s) and percentage level you are running it at.

• Thanks 1
Mckinney0171
1 hour ago, pal said:

Fragging frags nice.   What sps did you order from battle corals? I  have been thinking of ordering a grab bag from them. Got pictures of your frag rack?

Do it!  I got a battle box from Adam.  It's  a grab bag of stuff that he really tailors to your desires.  He sent me some fantastic frags. And yes I did frag them again for this little tank.  All are doing really well.  You can't beat it.

List of what he sent me:

Shades of fall
Grape juice
June ruby stag
Copps calici stag
Orange tipped Albrohensis
BC efflo 2.0
Yellow tort
Mckinney0171
1 hour ago, buxton.nc said:

Would you mind sharing your experience with running the MP 10 in this tank? Interested in your opinion as well as mode(s) and percentage level you are running it at.

I run mine in reef crest mode at lowest or just slightly above lowest flow setting.   My SPS are happy and it is plenty of flow.  

My frag rack is called a rock mag junior.  Premium aquatics sells them. Fits nicely in this tank.  

• Thanks 1