ReefCleaners.org

Flatworms found on closed receding GSP (ID?)

sapling

I plan to move everything in the 10g to the 25g I'm cycling so maybe a tankwide treatment is better like you suggest, so im not carrying over something.

I read some on Salifert flatworm exit and a few retail sites point it out that it is fish and invert safe. reviews also point out they used it for coral eating nudibranchs, so seems like it would work on these nudibranchs as well since these are also coral eating. Afaik I don't have red planaria, so I'm wondering if activated carbon is still needed or if a large water change would suffice?

regardless thanks again for the advice seabass. I think currently I am leaning towards salifert's meds it seems to be a safe tankwide medicine, and can be used as a utility for coral dipping/Quarantine in the future.

I would still use the activated carbon as directed.  It removes the Flatworm eXit as well as any toxins released.

So when you move your corals to the new tank, you might still choose to dip them in Coral Rx.

• Like 2

What did you end up doing with this?  coralRX? FW exit?  Otherwise maybe try dipping in Bayer Compete Insect Killer...

I agree with @seabass that GSP is almost indestructible, so take those kid gloves off when dipping.  I've had trimmings survive for well over a month in a bucket of old tank water at 69° with no light or circulation, and the evaporation got the salinity upwards of 1.035. Still had polyp extension.

The main question is whether or not these critters are established in the tank or limited to the GSP. 

Curious for an update.

Salifert exit won't cause issues if used according to instructions.

It's not the product that does any damage(when issues have been noted) but not siphoning out all the dead flatworms.

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2017 at 11:16 AM, holy carp said:

What did you end up doing with this?  coralRX? FW exit?  Otherwise maybe try dipping in Bayer Compete Insect Killer...

I agree with @seabass that GSP is almost indestructible, so take those kid gloves off when dipping.  I've had trimmings survive for well over a month in a bucket of old tank water at 69° with no light or circulation, and the evaporation got the salinity upwards of 1.035. Still had polyp extension.

The main question is whether or not these critters are established in the tank or limited to the GSP. 

Curious for an update.

An update, sorry for the delay btw, I moved, and dealt with the pests.

as for where they were, I've never seen them on the rockwork, the substrate, or my Xenia, it was only on the GSP.

after my last post, a week after I removed them, I had pulled another two with tongs, but have never seen them again since I moved(20th last month) within the week, the polyps started showing themselves.

My coralRx did come in around the beginning of the month and I did dip according to instructions, but besides a few isopod critters, there werent any nudibranchs I saw fall off the coral.

since the move though, my GSP does come out now with plenty of little growing polyps, although it isnt as big as it used to be before it receded. I still watch right after lights turn on for any possible pests.

• Like 1

If you found a pest that eats nothing but GSP, I think you could sell them next to the aiptasia cures...

Seriously, though, glad it's recovering.

• Like 1