Pod Your Reef

Kessil A80 v AI Prime HD for non-sps IM10?

shoonjai

Which light would you recommend for an IM10 that will be mostly zoa dominated? No plans for sps, maybe some lps thrown thrown in as well. I really like the controllability of the AI, but I'm not sure the higher price point and the fact that it's not completely silent makes it worth it for my needs.

I've looked around at some of the different members' pictures of each light and even though the Kessil isn't as controllable, I do like the colors it is able to produce.

I tried both kessil and prime. Prime HD was an easy choice for me. The light itself looks super modern and cool looking. Mounting option is very minimal which is awesome. The ability to control is so worth it. For me, it is also completely silenced when run. for lps and zoa it is more than enough. You can also get one of the used regular prime non HD for really cheap since you not growing sps anyway.

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

Both nice lights. I have no numbers for either, but either would be fine for what you are looking for. It really comes down to what light you like better. I have the Prime HD, simply for the controllability of it. It was a difficult choice, but I just wasn't too fond of the kessil colors I saw out there. Fwiw, mine is dead silent, as well.

if you aren't set on either of those, Reefbreeders has a few nano lights, too. For the price, I wish I would have seen those before buying the Prime. Their Nano Touch would have been perfect for me, and less than half the price, too. The Nano Plus is a bit more than I would have needed, but is still a bargain at its price point.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/nano-lite/

• Like 1

I've never used a prime (I've seen them) used to hav a 160 Kessil, hated it. I would get any other light rather than a kessil unless you have to have the shimmer, that's the only thing it did well.

AI Prime HD owner here. It does run silent, not sure where you heard it was noisy, but that unit may have had a broken fan or something.  The kessil is cheaper for just the light but if you want to program it you have to buy the controller for an extra $100 and then price is a wash.  With out controller I believe you have to change light intensity manually through out the day. 

Ai! Mine is silent.

The fan is meant to be cleaned or noise will develop.

If only keeping zoas, Lps, and softies aquamaxx nemolight. I have that on my 10g IM

And the Ai on my 15g