SaltCritters.com

Reef safe worm?

TechLobster

TechLobster

Hi all,

Just picked up a new emerald crab from the lfs, and he came on a rock. Noticed a pink-orange worm in with him while he was acclimating. He shot back into the piece of rock quick when I went to get a better look. I've got him in a separate quarentine for the time being. And watching him for a bit I'd estimate it's 3-4" long, 1/4" around, pinkish orange with white fluffy bristles. He's more colored that the photo, but this is the best shot I could get.

Any help is appreciated.

download_20170706_230919.jpg

• Like 1
TechLobster

I've read mixed opinions on how reef safe fire vs bristle worms are and if they are even two different classifications. Are all (or at least most common ones we see reefing) reef safe?

vegasgundog

Bristles are by far from what I've seen the common. Never seen a fire worm. My six line wrasse must keep them in check as I rarely see them any more. They are nocturnal and you really won't find them unless you start moving things around. I've never seen any issues with them.

• Like 1
TechLobster

Cool, I'll keep him on his own for a bit, while I decide if I want to keep him. I think I also got a baby brittle starfish in the same small chunk of live rock. :)

RayWhisperer

It's a bristle worm, and it's harmless. They don't have mouth parts capable of killing, unless you think they could lick something to death.

• Like 3