inTank Media Baskets

Clownfish fighting and then friends?

Landofin

My  clownfish is slightly smaller than my other over clownfish(same species) and they fight or the big one chases the smaller one but then the male submits and they are friends and then fighting happens again is this normal in pairing and they occasionally head but the seabae anemone but never make their way in it is this normal as well please help!

RIP Sebastian
18 minutes ago, Landofin said:

the smallers ones fins are getting eaten

Clownfish couples will always quarrel. It's fine.

vegasgundog

Google clownfish dominance behavior and study up. Basic jist.....larger clown will become the female and beat up the smaller male to show dominance. As long as the little one isn't getting too hurt, it has to ride out. Watch for the little one to wiggle in submission. This is a good thing. Good luck. If the male cant get any rest you may have to separate, but if you want a pair this is how it works.

My clowns won't host any anemones and instead live under my chalice. The female will tail slap me if I get in their home but the little male has started biting me if I get within 6 inches of the chalice.

• Like 1
On 06/07/2017 at 11:53 PM, vegasgundog said:

Google clownfish dominance behavior and study up. Basic jist.....larger clown will become the female and beat up the smaller male to show dominance. As long as the little one isn't getting too hurt, it has to ride out. Watch for the little one to wiggle in submission. This is a good thing. Good luck. If the male cant get any rest you may have to separate, but if you want a pair this is how it works.

My clowns won't host any anemones and instead live under my chalice. The female will tail slap me if I get in their home but the little male has started biting me if I get within 6 inches of the chalice.

Lol.

In one tank my 2 clowns sleep under the toadstool and the male has finally started submitting.

In my other tank they host a frogspawn. The female can be quite bossy with her mate and she bites me all the time.

porkchop-rob

turkey baster...

blast them with some tank water when they come to attack/bite you. You'd be surprised how effective this is at altering their behavior.

4 hours ago, porkchop-rob said:

turkey baster...

blast them with some tank water when they come to attack/bite you. You'd be surprised how effective this is at altering their behavior.

Tried that. She doesn't care. She'll hit the turkey baster.