Zoo Med power sweep

Both of mine needed constant cleaning and always stopped sweeping back and forth. Its up to you how often you want to clean them. I like the aqua globe or the maxi jet. If you want changing currents I'd do a scwd wavemaker.

I have one in my 10 gallon and for the 1st couple of days it malfunctioned, but after inspecting it I noticed that some sand had jamed the gears so I cleand and and then moved it so it could suck up sand and BLING! never had a problem since then.

I just added the live rock so I think the flow is ok for the moment-however, I thought it would be wise to add some flow once I add the corals etc.. I went to petsmart to look but all the stuff they had looked pretty big-the aquaclear201 and the zoo med

EtOH_is_good

i cant recommend the powersweeps. i would not use it in the main tank because of the heat problem. wait and get any of the jet series (maxi, mini or micro). you'll be happier in the long run.

I read all the threads about how poor they run, but I figured i'd try one anyways. Cheap wave action, could it really be THAT bad? Raised my tank temps 4 degrees, put out about half of what it was rated for, and stopped sweeping in two days. Save your money.

At http://mp3info.netfirms.com/ there is a really great guide to setting up a 10 gallon nano tank. That author uses a zoo-med and says that attaching the sponge prefilter is essential to keeping the gears clean. He says that he had problems with the gears untill he attached it. I just bought one one ebay for a new system, i'll let you guys know what it's like when it comes...

KansasCoral-Nu-B

well i'm going to endorse it.. because mine has been working great since feb... no clogging or locking.. no heat issues.. i love it.. but my experience my be rare..

i've had the powersweep 214 running in my eclipse12 for a little more than a year. i have NEVER had any problems with this powerhead. one time i got kinda lazy and went a few months without cleaning it, and it stopped sweeping. a quick washing of all parts and it started sweeping again. but this would be expected of any p/h. without the occasional maintenance, any p/h would fail. i even run mine without the spongefilter. and heat doesn't seem to be an issue, my tank stays at a steady 82 degrees at all times. i would recommend them, especially the fact that they make nice random currents when mixed with another p/h.

• 5 weeks later...

After reading the reviews on the power sweep i am planning to get one for my JBJ cube. Although I am somewhat puzzled at people saying that hooking a regular PH to a wave maker on a timer would be cheaper that buying several power sweeps. Everthing that I have seem about the PH and wavemakers is that the constant turning on/off significantly reduces the life of the power head. All of the PH's I ever had also made quite a bit of noise when ever you turned them on and having that noise all the time from the wavemakers makes the noise of the power sweep seem inaudible.

maxijets and microjets have soft starts (no clicking). the switch that i have hooked up works really well. may be better in the long run opposed to 4 powersweeps.

I have had a powersweep in my nano-cube. had a heat problem until I took out the original powerhead in the back and the powersweep. I replaced them with 2 minijets.

• 3 weeks later...
NanoReefTexas

I've had the powersweep powerhead in my nano reef for about 2 weeks. It sweeps constantly, creates random flow, and as mentioned above, any PH needs occasional maintenance. Just pull the sucker out, soak a few minutes in vinegar and rinse. Add it back in, and viola! For a small tank, like a nano (up to 20 gallons I would say) it's a great alternative for those on a budget. The flaw with the power sweep is that it is big for a powerhead, and as ugly as all powerheads. My next tank is getting closed loops.

i will have to agree with the majority

dont like them

i have 3 of them and only 1 works fine so i'll keep that 1 going and replace the other 2 with a seio so i will have constant and random flow

I've had the powersweep powerhead in my nano reef for about 2 weeks. It sweeps constantly, creates random flow, and as mentioned above, any PH needs occasional maintenance. Just pull the sucker out, soak a few minutes in vinegar and rinse.
The powersweep needs a bit more than "occasional maintenance". I clean my other PHs every couple months. I had to clean the Powersweep pretty much weekly, just to keep it going! You've only had yours two weeks... wait a couple months and I'm sure you'll understand what everyone is complaining about...

Archived