Innovative Marine Aquariums

Goby's - Please Tell Me About Them

Friendly

they are a pretty cool little fish, and seeing the shrimp/goby dynamic has my curiosity piqued.

is it only the YWG that pairs with the pistol shrimp...or are there goby/shrimp couplings out there? 

what's the smallest goby?

what's the easiest goby to keep and care for? 

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
1 minute ago, Friendly said:

they are a pretty cool little fish, and seeing the shrimp/goby dynamic has my curiosity piqued.

is it only the YWG that pairs with the pistol shrimp...or are there goby/shrimp couplings out there? 

'Friendly' as a username...I like that :)

There are a number of Gobies that will pair with certain pistol shrimp.  Read as much as you can if you try them.

Trimma and Eviota Gobies are some of the smallest that we see commercially available.

Off the top of my head, really easy gobies are GBG (Green Banded Gobies), Cleaner Gobies (blue stripe or yellow stripe), Red-headed Gobies...there are many more.  Most are small, hardy and don't bother most other types of fish or inverts.

Go to Liveaquaria's website (Gobies link -->:  http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+31) for more info.

• Like 3
Nano sapiens
Just now, Friendly said:

thanks, sapiens. is it safe to assume that when it says 'shrimp goby', they're one that can bond? 

Should be, yes.

The black ray goby is just about an inch long and will pair nicely wih the Randalls pistol shrimp. As well as the yasha goby which is nicer looking colors and similar size. If these are kept with larger fish they will hide out a lot but if they are the most dominant fish they will come out often. BTW they are jumpers!

fishfreak0114

I'm planning on picking up a goby/shrimp pair this weekend, and these are the five I'm considering.  They were all in stock where I'm shopping last I checked, but I doubt they will be this weekend, so we'll see what I end up with.

Pink bar goby (A. aurora)

Randall's goby (A. randalli)

Flagtail shrimp goby (A. yanoi)

Highfin goby (S. nematodes)

Wheeler's goby (A. wheeleri)

The pink bar, randall's, and flagtail are the largest on the list (about 4-4.5").  The wheeler's is 3", and the high fin is 2".

I have a yasha goby / randal's pistol in my five gallon, they're pretty cool. the yasha gobies are super skittish, but cool to watch if you are patient

On 7/5/2017 at 3:44 PM, Friendly said:

There's tons of species that pair with pistol shrimps, unfortunately many don't make it into the hobby but here's tons that are interesting and are imported with relative frequency.

the smallest gobies you could buy are likely smaller Eviota species, Trimma gobies are tiny as well. Lotilia are some of the smallest shrimp gobies.

Most gobies don't have any special care requirements and do well in captivity. But there's thousands of species so specification will help.