Manbearfish

The Pinnacle Peninsula

Manbearfish

Hello everyone!

Some time has passed and I started to get that itch again. It happens to be some convenient timing too, now having graduated and started my career I don't face as many constraints on my setup, which is a nice feeling. This isn't my first reef nor my first nano, I tried to track progress on my last build here, but as you can see I didn't post very consistently. 

I had that setup setup running for about a year or so, but unfortunately had to break it down due to some financial constraints, aka being a broke college student. That said, I learned a lot of lessons. I'm hoping to carry some of these things to the new setup.

My girlfriend and I just moved in together this past week, were in an apartment now so the tank had to be on the smaller side. I was really loving the new IM Pensinsula series, everyone was grabbing up the 14g, I liked the sleek look of the 20g so that's what I ordered. I had originally planned to set it up in a Peninsula format, but unfortunately once we got all the furniture in, I couldn't really find a spot I liked where I could set it up as a room divider.

I have some equipment I saved from my last couple setups. Namely my AI Prime and my Jebao WP 10 which I will be carrying over to this build. I learned from the 24x24 that evaporation drives me crazy and topping off without an RODI and ATO is a major major pain. I learned my lesson this time and bought an RODI so I don't have to make constant runs for distilled water. I'll likely be ordering an IM ATO soon. A Reefkeeper Lite is on the radar as well, with hopefully an eventual upgrade to a gyre over the jebao. 

As far as the scape goes, I have some crappy phone pics that I quickly snapped this morning, I'll update with dslr pics when I get home. I'd like to try and keep a lagoon-style scape/livestock choice going because I liked the natural look of my last tank as everything grew in.

IMG_5034.thumb.JPG.4be7568000a110754a60b5f8e2c21672.JPG

IMG_5035.thumb.JPG.87825d240e62a1a6cbb9c88fcaab3656.JPG

My father's side of the family is from an island in Greece called Chios, easily one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. One of my favorite beaches on the island is named Vroulidia, and it was a bit of an inspiration for the scape. Initially I thought I had wanted to do two separate islands, but I came to like this one flowing mass. The rockwork also curves in from back to front, with the sand bed sloping up to the back right. I may plant a mangrove back rhere, we'll see. I definitely plan to stock in plenty of macroalgae. Let me know thoughts/opinions. Here's a pic I took of Vroulidia:

IMG_5044.thumb.JPG.d3df45af869d2d2521912895dbf5571f.JPG

Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

WV Reefer

Welcome back to reefing. :). Following along. 

• Like 1

TheBig053

Welcome! Love the handle. Half man, half bear, half fish, aquatic cousin of the extremely dangerous ManBearPig!

MBP.jpg.c732cdc00ec92a9de2f5212d339efa47.jpg

• Like 2

Manbearfish
19 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Welcome back to reefing. :). Following along. 

Thanks! Should hopefully be an interesting run

17 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Welcome! Love the handle. Half man, half bear, half fish, aquatic cousin of the extremely dangerous ManBearPig!

MBP.jpg.c732cdc00ec92a9de2f5212d339efa47.jpg

Just trying to raise awareness, you never know when or where the manbearfish will strike... head of a shark, body of a bear, with the legs of a man..

• Like 1

kurtjeee

any updates on this tank?