Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jelly Jar 2.0 *Down to 1, but it's HUGE*

A.Berry

So a couple months ago my wife sent me a link to a crowd fund for a desktop jelly fish tank. She loves moon Jellies and I love anything in the water. After a few months of research and shopping around for the right pieces and parts, I'm ready to get started. I feel like this is small enough to constitute as a pico, so I'm gonna put it here. 

Here's what I finally decided on. It's the cheapest of the bunch and, to be honest, isn't the best looking jar, BUT the bubble tube is in the center, not on the side creating a pinch point, and it has a full lid with led lights already in it. 

This is it unboxed. I have an air line reg so I can control the current from the bubble riser. My plan is live rock gravel in the bottom to act as a bio filter media covered by glass beads or a thin layer of aquarium gravel to make it a little more jelly friendly, though I should be able to bring the flow down enough to never have to worry about the jellies on the floor.

I really liked the included color fading LEDs. They aren't going to grow anything, but they'll look great on some moon jellies. I don't know if the video will play on here, but I linked it to try. 

I have the jellyfish on order and should have the water and gravel in tomorrow. I'm sure it's going to need > or = to the amount of maintenance the pico jar needs, but I'm up for it!

They came in! I set the tank up the other day with some live rock rubble covered in glass beads so the tank could have some filtration. Looks great! When they came in today I acclimated the 3 Jellies per suppliers instructions and they are looking great! I've already had them eating even. 

2 are fairly normal but the third only has 3 stomachs instead of the 4

• Like 6
1 minute ago, A.Berry said:

They came in! I set the tank up the other day with some live rock rubble covered in glass beads so the tank could have some filtration. Looks great! When they came in today I acclimated the 3 Jellies per suppliers instructions and they are looking great! I've already had them eating even. 

2 are fairly normal but the third only has 3 stomachs instead of the 4

Cool!!

• Like 1

That is exactly what inspired this. My wife and daughters lose their minds every time we see one and are all as excited about this one as I am!

• Like 1

I didn't realize it was a video lol but recently went to an aquarium that had a color changing light thing on their jelly tank and you could turn the knob to change the color.  Super fun!

Went to the LFS today (or as close as you can get, but our petco is about a 6 out of 10) thinking I'd get something to try to clean up any food at the bottom, but I'm a little worried about things trying to grab the jellies. I figure crabs are out, shrimp may be as well. Can't find a snail I feel won't fill the bottom with poo. I briefly contemplated a brittle star, but I'm worried about that trying to grab a jelly. I ended up not bringing anything home (wow). Any thoughts or suggestions?

RayWhisperer

Everything that eats, craps. That's just nature. If you are worried about crap, then you'd be best with a bowl of water. However, a small CUC shouldn't be enough of a biolaod to cause any harm.

now, I don't know much about jellies, and I don't know what you are feeding. Just the same, a nassarius, or 2 will clean up any meaty foods that settle to the bottom. A few nerite snails would work just fine for film algae, and the like. I might even consider a few blue leg hermits, as well as micro brittle stars and some stomatella snails, as well. Not only are they great scavengers/cleaners, they readily spawn, thus giving your jellies some extra plankton to feed off of.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, RayWhisperer said:

Everything that eats, craps. That's just nature. If you are worried about crap, then you'd be best with a bowl of water. However, a small CUC shouldn't be enough of a biolaod to cause any harm.

now, I don't know much about jellies, and I don't know what you are feeding. Just the same, a nassarius, or 2 will clean up any meaty foods that settle to the bottom. A few nerite snails would work just fine for film algae, and the like. I might even consider a few blue leg hermits, as well as micro brittle stars and some stomatella snails, as well. Not only are they great scavengers/cleaners, they readily spawn, thus giving your jellies some extra plankton to feed off of.

I think he's worried about CUC potentially trying to eat the Jellies. 

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

It'd be pretty unlikely any of the animals listed could grab, and or, subdue anything. They would certainly be able to do so to a dead, or dying jelly. However, at that point trying to save the animal is out of the question. Blue leg hermits are great algae eaters, as well as scavengers. Being the only ones on my list that could possibly inflict any sort of damage. The benefits far outweigh the risks, as they stay small, and are relatively slow and clumsy, as far as a possible predator goes. Beyond that, they spawn almost nightly in a well maintained tank. 

All the the others listed would have no chance of catching, or doing any damage to an even marginally active jellyfish. However, none of those spawn on a constant basis, like the hermit.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

It'd be pretty unlikely any of the animals listed could grab, and or, subdue anything. They would certainly be able to do so to a dead, or dying jelly. However, at that point trying to save the animal is out of the question. Blue leg hermits are great algae eaters, as well as scavengers. Being the only ones on my list that could possibly inflict any sort of damage. The benefits far outweigh the risks, as they stay small, and are relatively slow and clumsy, as far as a possible predator goes. Beyond that, they spawn almost nightly in a well maintained tank. 

All the the others listed would have no chance of catching, or doing any damage to an even marginally active jellyfish. However, none of those spawn on a constant basis, like the hermit.

This is exactly why I'm on this forum, thank you. I'll pick up a blue leg next time I'm in town. I'd get some micro brittle stars if I could find any, those would be cool. 

RayWhisperer

Keep an eye on the livestock classifieds, it's been a while, but I've seen them all sold on there. Apart from that, you could order some live sand from any number of vendors that collect right out of the gulf. The only issue with that is the possibility of ending up with something unwanted.

10 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

I just wanna say that the first three sentences of this post made me nearly piss myself. If you had used the words "to take a crap in" instead of "with" in the third sentence I'd have introduced Mr. Piss to Misters Boxers, Shorts, Thigh, Calf, Foot, and flip flop, maybe Mr. floor (he's usually last in line based on my spacial orientation) if there was any left. 

You sir, almost earned a fist bump. Bro. 

Sorry for no updates, been crazy busy!

Fun fact, Jellys are HARD to keep! Had a really bad crash about a week or so after getting the Jellys into the jar, ended up with 2 shrinking really bad and almost lost one of them. Got the jar back up and the Jellys back to healthy(though 2 are still small). 

Righ niw the 2 smaller ones are requiring direct feeding with a turkey baster because the water flow isn't ideal and it's got me thinking about Jelly Jar 2.0. My plan is to basically build an AIO by putting a rounded partition in the back and putting black fine sand in the bottom of the display portion. Anybody know of any good low temp low flow power heads? I'm thinking this one 

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-hydor-pico-evolution-mini-pump-200?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImMfC9_zH1QIVUhuBCh2bxgWkEAQYASABEgLjQvD_BwE

I'll also put some macro in the back so I'll need to rig a photosynthetic friendly light in the hood

Oh and 1.1 was removing the tube and suction cupping the air hose to the side. The tube really messed up the flow and the jelly fish kept hanging up on it

RayWhisperer

Hydors are pretty good pumps. Though, I'd probably go with the 300 (you can find them on amazon) and just use the red cover to adjust it to the amount you want. I haven't ever measured the flow, but I doubt these little pumps push what they claim. If they do, the MJ 1200's run way more than the 295 gph they claim. 

How warm do you think the 300 will get the water? It is only a 3 gallon and Moon Jellys need cooler water and very minimal water flow, basically just enough to keep them from dropping to the floor.

I had a tetra 1-3i cheap air lift filter that fits perfectly on the edge of the tank, so I stuck that on as a cheap experiment. I also got a polypropylene placemat and cut it down so it effectively makes a small sump in the back and the filter flows over the top. It's keeping the jellyfish safe from being sucked up while the filter creates a perfect flow rate.

I'm going to watch this for another week before applying a more permanent clean design. I've got some Black pvc sheet, black sand, and black silicon that should be here Friday. Next weekend should be the birth of jelly jar 2.0!

I fed the jellyfish some brine shrimp today too, 2 caught a bunch, the third is lazy.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So 2.0 has been built, and tested, just in time to lose 2 of the 3 Jellys :( it's been a fun experiment, but I don't think I'll restock the jellyfish. When the 3rd dies, I'll probably put a rock or 2 in it and some shrimp or hermit crabs, just so I can use the tank. I'll post pictures later

• Sad 1

So jelly jar 2.0 has been a surprise success! Even though I lost the other 2, the survivor has gotten giant! Around 3.5 inches across. I think it's down to having a good cycle, soft sand on the bottom, and a huge copepod bloom. The copepods have died down some but the jelly is strong enough to swim in the current and eat anything else floating.

IMG_0278.thumb.JPG.78090c6b3a26e64dea83bbbdabb0dafc.JPGIMG_0272.thumb.JPG.43cdeb7bba19896a92582baf234c1aa2.JPG

• Like 4