Top Shelf Aquatics

Temperature disaster

Neil1975

Also I lost over £800 worth,and it has absalutley knocked my confidence,i don't no where to begin,or what I should save,or discard,what I should buy first,I would be grateful of some advice,thanks

I did a water change and the water was a little colder,so I turned the temp up on the heater just to speed up the temperature difference in the water,but I got sidetracked and forgot to turn it back down,and woke up in a panic and my tank was in a terrible state,I lost all shrimps,about 10 fish,and a good few corals,but some of the corals have completely closed,and some are bleached,I am wandering if the ones that are closed have survived? My clown fish,mandarin,goby and crabs and a few snails seam to have survived,do you think my corals will come back

That really sucks. 

Fish are definitely hardier than corals, especially with temperature changes.

Your mistake was thinking you could and should heat it up fast. Their are major issues with this because 1. fast temperature fluctuations are bad anyways. it would have been better to raise it 1 degree a day probably. Your other mistake was thinking the heater would heat faster with a higher temperature set. I'm not positive, but I don't think it would make much of a difference to be concerned about it. 

If corals are more than 50% bleached their are probably not going to make it. You should take out any corals that are decaying. Dying things could kill your fish too.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your help,is there any way I could send you a photo so you could help me in what corals are alive or going to make it,as 2 have started to pick up a little bit

image.jpg

image.jpg

The hammer is just a skeleton. It's done.

The leather may bounce back but will take time. If it starts melting, its gone.

For future, 2 degrees isn't a huge deal. Some Don't even use a heater for their water change water if it's a small amount.

The heater being cranked up doen't speed up the temp it just increases it to that setting which would still take time.