inTank Media Baskets

The Start of Something New (to me)

AdriftQuasar

AdriftQuasar

After over 10 years in the hobby with the same 20 gallon reef (more or less, tanks change over time) and doing a 20 gallon build for her (which is nicer than mine), it was finally my turn to upgrade. Or it was going to be whenever we got a house, but Craigslist had an offer I could not refuse.

The ad listed a 70 gallon system with a 30 gallon fuge, protein skimmer, led's, rock, sand, fish...the friggin works, for 300. The fuge was a dodgy bowed out acrylic mess with no baffles and a broken coralife super skimmer 125. The return pump no longer works, but i have one lying around that will work. The tank itself is more or less fine, chip out of a top rear corner and a lot of scratches, but gonna try to buff them out. The led's were some odyssea one's that I'm not sure of. 

Anyway, heres the tank it's an oceanview half cylinder by Aqua Vim.

B1rQW9r.jpg

It was covered in cyano so think, I thought it was red kelp. The sand smelled like the great depression and was thusly discarded. The surviving fiah were various damsels that my wife was thrilled to put into her tank. She describes them as guilty pleasure fish. She likes them a lot, but feels like she shouldn't because they're cheap and common. The rock was scrubbed and rinsed a few times in saltwater, questionable looking things were clipped off and dug out. Have it in a tub with a powerhead and heater. Ultimately, going to need to spend more time and money than I would like to get this up and running the way I'd like, but if I've learned anything in this hobby, it's to set it up right the first time. Luckily, I seem to have the wife's permission to go hard so we can get the tank up and running before we go to MACNA. More to come later! Particularly the tale of my dad and I going to pick up the tank in the hills of rural Missouri.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AdriftQuasar said:

After over 10 years in the hobby with the same 20 gallon reef (more or less, tanks change over time) and doing a 20 gallon build for her (which is nicer than mine), it was finally my turn to upgrade. Or it was going to be whenever we got a house, but Craigslist had an offer I could not refuse.

The ad listed a 70 gallon system with a 30 gallon fuge, protein skimmer, led's, rock, sand, fish...the friggin works, for 300. The fuge was a dodgy bowed out acrylic mess with no baffles and a broken coralife super skimmer 125. The return pump no longer works, but i have one lying around that will work. The tank itself is more or less fine, chip out of a top rear corner and a lot of scratches, but gonna try to buff them out. The led's were some odyssea one's that I'm not sure of. 

Anyway, heres the tank it's an oceanview half cylinder by Aqua Vim.

B1rQW9r.jpg

It was covered in cyano so think, I thought it was red kelp. The sand smelled like the great depression and was thusly discarded. The surviving fiah were various damsels that my wife was thrilled to put into her tank. She describes them as guilty pleasure fish. She likes them a lot, but feels like she shouldn't because they're cheap and common. The rock was scrubbed and rinsed a few times in saltwater, questionable looking things were clipped off and dug out. Have it in a tub with a powerhead and heater. Ultimately, going to need to spend more time and money than I would like to get this up and running the way I'd like, but if I've learned anything in this hobby, it's to set it up right the first time. Luckily, I seem to have the wife's permission to go hard so we can get the tank up and running before we go to MACNA. More to come later! Particularly the tale of my dad and I going to pick up the tank in the hills of rural Missouri.

Nice find.  :)   I love Craigslist..... I found my 12 long on Craigslist. 

following along.  

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...