Top Shelf Aquatics

"Utility" crew

kwhyle

I just wanted to know what your utility crew is in your tanks. By utility, I mean fish that help control unwanted pests and help with algae control. Basically asking to stock my 20g long

I don't buy fish for utility, most of those need larger tanks, including the 6 line wrasse.

I buy snails  and hermits for cleaning up.

There's no 100% prevention of pests and there's no 100% guarantee that fish that are supposed to eat certain pests will.

I had peppermint shrimp, supposed to eat aiptasia. They didn't touch them but certainly enjoyed eating 3 acans brain corals 

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I don't buy fish for utility, most of those need larger tanks, including the 6 line wrasse.

I buy snails  and hermits for cleaning up.

There's no 100% prevention of pests and there's no 100% guarantee that fish that are supposed to eat certain pests will.

I had peppermint shrimp, supposed to eat aiptasia. They didn't touch them but certainly enjoyed eating 3 acans brain corals 

I know I want a handful of trochus snails and nassarius snails. But for crabs I'm hesitant because this will probably be a zoa dominate tank. As for peppermint shrimp, I saw the ones my LFS had were actually eating aiptasia so if I run into that problem, I can deal with it that way. 

2 hours ago, kwhyle said:

I know I want a handful of trochus snails and nassarius snails. But for crabs I'm hesitant because this will probably be a zoa dominate tank. As for peppermint shrimp, I saw the ones my LFS had were actually eating aiptasia so if I run into that problem, I can deal with it that way. 

You can use aiptasia x which is more reliable than the shrimp. They can and do eat corals.

unless you have tons of algae growth in your tank, five trochus snails is probably overkill. I'd say start out with 2-3 and if you still have an algae problem, then get more. They can bulldoze algae from a tank completely and then starve to death if you have too many. Also keep in mind nassarius snails are scavengers, not algae grazers, and they need meaty foods.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm finally starting to see some diatoms, so the plan is to get small cuc in a couple weeks that consists of a 1 trochus, 2 nassarius, then wait a month or two then get a diamond goby. Then ill focus on coral. 

Diamond gobies can grow to 6" and a refugium is best with these gobies.

Nano tanks can't provide the necessary food they need from the sand bed.

Most sand sifters die in bank's because in a very short time period, they deplete the micro fauna in the sand bed.