inTank Media Baskets

Clownfish right next to pulsing Xenia and it's touching it but not going in is it going to?

Landofin

My clownfish is right next to my pulsing Xenia and occasionally touching it and it has paired with 4 different anemones so it knows what it's doing has anyone ever seen this behavior he even flaps his fins and give it current but never goes in will he pair with it and how will I know if he's about to

I think it will go in eventually.  2 sets of my clowns have done that to (not my bra) duncan coral for one and zoa for the other.  My btas are lonely

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

When a clownfish is approaching a host anemone, it acts the same way.  Some people feel that's how they develop a defense against the sting of a host anemone.  Their behavior won't change just because this isn't an anemone.

It's impossible to predict if and when it will enter the coral.  It can be almost immediately, a couple of days, a couple of months, or never.

It would look neat, but having a clownfish nestle into a pulsing xenia can cause (more) small pieces to break off, and spread to other rocks.  Many people consider xenia equivalent to a weed.  It's very intriguing, and can be beautiful, but it does tend to spread to places you might not want it to (whether or not a clownfish is swimming in it).

• Like 2