Pod Your Reef

Crimped Euphyllia Tentacles

graftobny142

graftobny142

Has anyone seen this before? It appears that several of the tentacles on my Euphyllia are bent/crimped on themselves.

Could this be the result of an anemone sting? I just added an RBTA to my tank and its been on the move.

Fnv0AL7.jpg

RayWhisperer

Hmm. I can't say I've ever seen that before. At least, I've never noticed it. I suppose it could be the result of contact with a nem. I wouldn't worry too much. Euphyllia are pretty hardy corals. Just keep an eye on the nem to ensure it doesn't completely roast it, and it should be fine.

A trick to get your nem to stop wandering. Cut a small piece of 1"' or 1.5" pvc pipe and put its foot inside the pipe. Wedge the pipe where you want the nem. Once it attaches, irritate the nem to get it to deflate or retract. Pull the pipe right over the nem. No guarantees that'll work, but it's worked for me more than once. If something is off, though, that won't stop it from wandering.

Also, if you try that. Be sure to sand the edges of the pvc. Nems tear easily.

• Like 2
graftobny142
22 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Hmm. I can't say I've ever seen that before. At least, I've never noticed it. I suppose it could be the result of contact with a nem. I wouldn't worry too much. Euphyllia are pretty hardy corals. Just keep an eye on the nem to ensure it doesn't completely roast it, and it should be fine.

A trick to get your nem to stop wandering. Cut a small piece of 1"' or 1.5" pvc pipe and put its foot inside the pipe. Wedge the pipe where you want the nem. Once it attaches, irritate the nem to get it to deflate or retract. Pull the pipe right over the nem. No guarantees that'll work, but it's worked for me more than once. If something is off, though, that won't stop it from wandering.

Also, if you try that. Be sure to sand the edges of the pvc. Nems tear easily.

That is a great idea! I think I need some deeper rock work for it to get in.

I will have to try the pvc pipe.

The nem was pressed up against a trochus snail today and I was scared it would poke a hole right in it!

RayWhisperer

I had a very large maxi mini (wasn't very mini, about 8" across) that would regularly eat snails and hermit crabs that touched it. It would poop out the empty shell a day or two later. However, I don't think bta's pack enough sting to do that. 

graftobny142

I found it this morning with the whole foot right on top of my xenia, covered the whole frag and then some. 

But it didn't harm it haha. Got it to move off and they plumped right back up