ReefCleaners.org

Should I be concerned???

Minmay

For a couple of weeks now I've noticed this thing by my zoas/paly. I've touched it and it feels rubbery. The zoas still open but today it seems that the paly is irritated by it. Should I be concerned? Dip it? Ive tried looking online to see if I can find anything that resembles that and I havent found anything. Sorry for the poor quality pic. 

20170627_165454.jpg

10 minutes ago, patback said:

Looks like a sponge but less blues would be great. 

Is this better?? I believe sponges are no harm so I hope that this is a sponge.

20170627_165454-01-01.jpeg

RayWhisperer

That could be any number of things. However, it looks most like some type of macro algae to me. I'm no good at IDing macros, though. Better pic would help. If you can't, perhaps a more thorough description, with color, size, how it's structured, any visible polyps, holes, as much as you can think to describe. One last thing. When you touched it. Did it do anything? Did it react in any visible way?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RayWhisperer said:

That could be any number of things. However, it looks most like some type of macro algae to me. I'm no good at IDing macros, though. Better pic would help. If you can't, perhaps a more thorough description, with color, size, how it's structured, any visible polyps, holes, as much as you can think to describe. One last thing. When you touched it. Did it do anything? Did it react in any visible way?

I text the owner of my LFS that I normally go to and she said it was a spaghetti sponge. Idk lol...when I touched it, it kinda retracted but nothing else. I Have no idea how i got the sponge. Im gonna have to do more research. My zoas and paly thats on that rock still open. Closes throughout the day but always reopen. i was just wondering should I try and remove the zoas/paly but from what Ive read in the past that sponges shouldnt have contact with air.

On 7/4/2017 at 6:06 PM, Clown79 said:

It looks like a sponge.

Hi clown, it looks as tho the sponge is growing. Do you think I should try and take the zoas/paly off that plug?

If it's irritating them or over growing them, then yes or remove the sponge manually.

Wear gloves and eyewear when working with paly's

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

If it's irritating them or over growing them, then yes or remove the sponge manually.

Wear gloves and eyewear when working with paly's

Ok will do! Also, what gloves should I get. I never wear gloves when doing maintenance on my tank. Do you think it would be a good idea to keep the sponge since its a filter feeder?

11 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I use nitrile or vinyl gloves non powdered.

It's up to you if you want to keep the sponge or not

This. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I use nitrile or vinyl gloves non powdered.

It's up to you if you want to keep the sponge or not

Ok thank u!