ReefCleaners.org

Dueling 80s

StinkyBunny

StinkyBunny

As promised, Perchy McPerchface is getting a new home, an IM20 Peninsula. Rock is some Fiji slab, 5kg and the rest  is 11kg of Manado Indonesian rock. There's a hairy crab in there with flat claws that's been eating algae back in the fish QT system and he's not bothered anyone so we put him in there too.

Initial lighting will be one of the SUPAR CHINABOX LED lights, then we'll be switching to a hybrid T5/LED but I have to go get the housing powder coated. It's the first LED I bought used for $50 7 years ago and I think it'll work quite well for this application, but it needs to have the rust removed and painted.

Salt will be Fritz, sand is Caribsea Fiji pink with some larger gravel mixed with it because what nano tank is complete without a pistol shrimp and his goby? Dunno about other stuff yet. We have a lot of mushrooms, leathers and assorted critters in the back QT tanks. There will also be no skimmer employed, just a HUGE ATS of my design, but it will only be lit on one side to start. If need be, I can light the other side later.

Pics:

Day1:

LOYzosz.jpg

Day3:

nYfeiCA.jpg

FoBnL84.jpg

pOuq86C.jpg

• Like 7
StinkyBunny

If I EVER get a light over this tank it'll be a miracle. The housing I wanted to use is too shallow so I've taken apart a Giesemann metal halide/T5 fixture, removed the metal halide and installed the Steve's LED retro kit we bought for the 130D. In all of the mayhem I lost a ballast so I took apart another retrofit T5 to steal the wiring and ballast. If I get it done tonight I'll shoot some pics.

• Like 3
StinkyBunny

Gonna have to make spacers, it'll be lit tomorrow night.  Had to trim back the T5 reflectors and do a little massaging to get the retro unit to fit. Just ran outta time and patience.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

It's still sitting on the table. I don't have the correct screws here or the shop to attach it and I need to make spacers. The screws I have are about 1/2" too short and I need to make 4-1/2" spacers. Everything's in the way of the LED fixture, first it was the T5 reflectors, now it's the wire loom that comes in to feed the T5s. :rant: I'll get it, I wanna do it right so I don't have to take it apart again.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

It's still sitting on the table. I don't have the correct screws here or the shop to attach it and I need to make spacers. The screws I have are about 1/2" too short and I need to make 4-1/2" spacers. Everything's in the way of the LED fixture, first it was the T5 reflectors, now it's the wire loom that comes in to feed the T5s. :rant: I'll get it, I wanna do it right so I don't have to take it apart again.

Yeah, definitely easier to do it right to begin with!  Only thing worse than taking it apart once will be having to take it apart again lol.

StinkyBunny

Guess who forgot to bring home the hardware? Sometimes I wonder if my mother had any children that lived. Pulled them out of the bin, sat them on the desk next to my lunch box and walked right the hell outta the shop without them, sum biskit!! So tonight I'm gonna work on the arms to hold the light since I was a dumbass.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Guess who forgot to bring home the hardware? Sometimes I wonder if my mother had any children that lived. Pulled them out of the bin, sat them on the desk next to my lunch box and walked right the hell outta the shop without them, sum biskit!! So tonight I'm gonna work on the arms to hold the light since I was a dumbass.

I do that kind of stuff all the time.  It's a wonder I survived childhood! :lol:

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

tgipkcL.jpg

Perchy's light is almost done!!!!!!!!!!! omgomgomg

Baby abalones, I finally caught the little shits out, sorry for the dirty glass, but the wavemaker sprays water over that. I haven't cleaned the glass so they have food, but they knock the algae down about 60%.

mYYJ1gS.jpg

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

tgipkcL.jpg

Perchy's light is almost done!!!!!!!!!!! omgomgomg

Baby abalones, I finally caught the little shits out, sorry for the dirty glass, but the wavemaker sprays water over that. I haven't cleaned the glass so they have food, but they knock the algae down about 60%.

mYYJ1gS.jpg

Oooh, cool, I want Baby Abalones!!!

Wonder if they'd nibble my pretty plants tho....

But I likes 'em!!!

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

They don't mess with the Caulerpa in M's fuge tank. Abalones are funny critters. They just stop when they get tired, it's like someone just turned them off. I'll try to shoot some video one day, they look like a cross between a furry caterpillar and a mouse when they're on the move. They get big though, the breeders in that 30 frag tank are 3" and the one in M's is close to 4". I'm trying to figure out how to sex them, not a whole lot of info out there about these guys.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

R.I.P Ellie Bells. :(

Dunno WTF's up with this goddamn 60, but it's done for. We lost Ellie the Emporer angel and 2 Perchies. Off and on we've had issues so we're getting a 120 to replace it, M and I have had enough. Dunno if it's the piece of glass in the bottom, the rock or the sand, but it's outta here in 2 weeks. F it, had enough. Same water and salt we use in all the other systems. The pisser is, she ate well this morning. Starting with new rock, new sand and we'll do 20g water changes every few days to change out the bulk of the water.

2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

R.I.P Ellie Bells. :(

Dunno WTF's up with this goddamn 60, but it's done for. We lost Ellie the Emporer angel and 2 Perchies. Off and on we've had issues so we're getting a 120 to replace it, M and I have had enough. Dunno if it's the piece of glass in the bottom, the rock or the sand, but it's outta here in 2 weeks. F it, had enough. Same water and salt we use in all the other systems. The pisser is, she ate well this morning. Starting with new rock, new sand and we'll do 20g water changes every few days to change out the bulk of the water.

:tears:

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

OK, so it's an environmental issue, a damn mantis shrimp. There's gonna be hell to pay when I catch the little shit. When the lights came on today, the cleaner wrasse was dead, poke hoke in one side through to the other. Caught out Marty the Matara wrasse, both YMGs, Sam the 6 line, Fred the Fusigoby and the Scooties and moved them. HEADS VILL ROLL!!!!I still haven't seen it, but I know it's in there, I see the spots in the sand near a pile of rocks.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, StinkyBunny said:

OK, so it's an environmental issue, a damn mantis shrimp. There's gonna be hell to pay when I catch the little shit. When the lights came on today, the cleaner wrasse was dead, poke hoke in one side through to the other. Caught out Marty the Matara wrasse, both YMGs, Sam the 6 line, Fred the Fusigoby and the Scooties and moved them. HEADS VILL ROLL!!!!I still haven't seen it, but I know it's in there, I see the spots in the sand near a pile of rocks.

That sucks :(

How you gonna catch him?:scarry: 

StinkyBunny

The 93 and 60 cube are going away, found a 140 Coast to Coast tank and an old Oceanic 75 which are gonna replace them. Cubes are neat, but I like rectangular tanks better. Now all I have to do is heal up from this damn Lyme shit.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

The 93 and 60 cube are going away, found a 140 Coast to Coast tank and an old Oceanic 75 which are gonna replace them. Cubes are neat, but I like rectangular tanks better. Now all I have to do is heal up from this damn Lyme shit.

I agree on the cubes.... I like them but I always feel they look odd in most spaces of the home. Rectangles blend.  

Other than the intial tick finding, how did you suspect?  Did you have the "bullseye"?

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Other than the intial tick finding, how did you suspect?  Did you have the "bullseye"?

24 hours later I started feeling like shit. My temp has been 102-104 for the last 2 days. Yesterday, I slept for 18 hours.

12 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

24 hours later I started feeling like shit. My temp has been 102-104 for the last 2 days. Yesterday, I slept for 18 hours.

Damn. That will fry your brain!

hope you feel better. 

• Like 1
  • StinkyBunny changed the title to Dueling 80s