Pod Your Reef

The MacGyver Slinky Dream Tank- Basic New Pics

Weetabix7

2 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

Posting in (soon to be 800 page) thread!

Looks good!

(gibs me dat money cowry pls)

Wow, someone who's been around N-R longer than me, I feel honored!!!

But how the heck is your post count so low, are you a Lurky McLurkerpants? 

I love Money Cowries. 

They are one of the few critters who will eat Cotton Candy Algae, which is like GHA but pink & EVIL. 

They eat GHA too. 

Here's where I got mine from: http://www.inlandaquatics.com/shopping/saltwater/saltwater-invertebrates/saltwater-invertebrates-snails/gold-ring-cowrie-snail

I got my Stomatella Snails from there too, but they're calling them Cap Snails. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, frahny said:

@Weetabix7I'm here to party! That wide front overflow with the ac110 is genius! 

Awesome, welcome!!

I can't honestly claim credit for the overflow paired with HOB idea. 

The idea came from a fellow judge in an N-R Tank Contest I ran many years ago. 

We were brainstorming amongst ourselves and she was gonna do that on her 10g tank entry. 

She ended up changing her mind & never put it into action, but I filed it away and have wanted to do it ever since then. 

I'm sure someone else out there somewhere has tried it, but I'm the only one I've ever actually seen put it into action. 

It works even better than I imagined, I love it!!

• Like 3
cfaye@Delaware

Goodness this is great, I was watching the build in the other thread and was wondering where you were going with 2 tanks, now I know, this is a nice build, I wish I had more room. So I shall be following, both tanks look awesome, very pleasing to the eye, easy on eyes. Very nice.....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Goodness this is great, I was watching the build in the other thread and was wondering where you were going with 2 tanks, now I know, this is a nice build, I wish I had more room. So I shall be following, both tanks look awesome, very pleasing to the eye, easy on eyes. Very nice.....

Hey, thanks!!

So glad you made it by here, I had a funny feeling you would enjoy this build. :happy:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Newbies. :rolleyes::lol:

3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Here's where I got mine from: http://www.inlandaquatics.com/shopping/saltwater/saltwater-invertebrates/saltwater-invertebrates-snails/gold-ring-cowrie-snail

Sweet, thanks for the link!

• Like 1

oh this build is already sooooo good...Im jealous as ive always wanted a display fuge. Im looking forward to watching this mature!

BTW next time you decide to start a new thread im going to need a pm with a link kthanks :flower:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rehype said:

oh this build is already sooooo good...Im jealous as ive always wanted a display fuge. Im looking forward to watching this mature!

BTW next time you decide to start a new thread im going to need a pm with a link kthanks :flower:

Lol, duly noted, glad to have you here!!

32 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Looks interesting!  Staying tuned... :)

Thanks, feel free to share advice whenever you like, I always enjoy hearing your perspective!!

I have the coolest little baby Stomatellas, check out the pattern on this guy:

P1070086

They're super tiny, so it's hard to get the camera to focus on them well. 

This pic probably shows him about 20x it's true to life size. 

• Like 7
18 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Lol, duly noted, glad to have you here!!

:happy:  Man im jealous I love stomatellas. I havent had one in a few years as Ive only acquired them through hitchiking

I have quite a few Macros that I need to mount, and I decided to take some pics to show everyone how I do it as I worked on a couple of them today. 

I'm far from a professional photographer, so I hope these pics work well enough to help you understand how I do it. 

For tools, I use rubble rock, fishing line, and I keep the Macros I'm mounting in a small styro with tankwater as I work. 

I first cut a few pieces of fishing line, maybe 6" to 8" long, just to give me plenty of length to work with.

Then I pull out the Macro and look for the base of the plant, the place where all of the branches come together, and I thread a piece of fishing line through that. 

Here's a piece of Dragon's Breath with fishing line threaded through the base:

P1070074

Here's a piece of Cympolia Barbata with fishing line threaded the base, which is much "pointier" & more pronounced, as you can see:

P1070078

Sometimes when I find Macros with more pronounced bases like that, I try to find a piece of rubble that has a crevice that I fit the plant base down into somewhat. 

I did that very successfully with my Sargassum & I think that's one of the reasons it's thrived so well, since it likes to be very securely attached at the base but also to have strong flow. 

It's a little hard to see in this pic, but this is the piece of rubble that I tried to poke the base of the C. Barbata down into, there's a crevice right in the middle:

P1070077

Here's the C. Barbata tied onto the rubble, viewed from below. You can see where I cut off the long ends of the fishing line just above the knot:

P1070080

Here's a pic of both plants mounted to their rubble and resting in the styro:

P1070081

7 minutes ago, Rehype said:

:happy:  Man im jealous I love stomatellas. I havent had one in a few years as Ive only acquired them through hitchiking

At the rate mine are reproducing, I may be able to offer some for sale in a couple of months. 

They're all over the place, which I'm personally thrilled about cause I love them!!

They do a great job of keeping little crevices in the Macros clean of microalgae without harming the plants.

• Like 12

Yup, I lurk mostly. I joined my junior year of high school! Crazy its been that long! Back when I joined Caesar777, Tigahboy, and Propagator were the big boys. It's funny how much it's changed.

I love macro tanks, but most of the shops I can get to rarely sell any macro. The red varieties are my favorites! One of these days I need to do a 20 long or similar size for a macro and anemone setup. I wouldn't mind trying a couple bits in my current tank, but shipping turns me off most of the time. Might need to just order some stuff though, unless anybody has anything cheap that ships easy!

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Awesome, welcome!!

I can't honestly claim credit for the overflow paired with HOB idea. 

The idea came from a fellow judge in an N-R Tank Contest I ran many years ago. 

We were brainstorming amongst ourselves and she was gonna do that on her 10g tank entry. 

She ended up changing her mind & never put it into action, but I filed it away and have wanted to do it ever since then. 

I'm sure someone else out there somewhere has tried it, but I'm the only one I've ever actually seen put it into action. 

It works even better than I imagined, I love it!!

I don't know where I got the idea but years ago had toyed with the same idea--divided tank with filter intake on one side and flowing out on the other.  Was gonna be a partial or full rock-wall look and the back chamber full of chaeto (this was before so many decorative macros were around)!  Never got it finished, sadly.  Maybe someday. :)

• Like 3
Nano sapiens
4 hours ago, Rehype said:

Yeah, they are my favorite snail for nano tanks.  I had a couple way back in the day, but they had a habit of getting into my return pump and then being ejected (hermit food) :(

• Like 4
cfaye@Delaware

Wow !!!! your hands must be steady as a rock, that is an excellent tie down, very clean.....

In FW I have a few tie downs in Anubias on drift wood and rock, and some in pots. They say you can remove the string once they become well established, I have never removed the string, have growth, would spread more if I removed it. Have had them for years. Very little die off....can you remove the string in saltwater ??? Was not too sure.....I did not tie mine down ordered them that way. My hands are not great, that's why gluing frags to rock. I also have a few moss balls, you do have to care for them, like rolling them around, once in a while and cleaning them. Very nice work. 

18 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

Yup, I lurk mostly. I joined my junior year of high school! Crazy its been that long! Back when I joined Caesar777, Tigahboy, and Propagator were the big boys. It's funny how much it's changed.

I love macro tanks, but most of the shops I can get to rarely sell any macro. The red varieties are my favorites! One of these days I need to do a 20 long or similar size for a macro and anemone setup. I wouldn't mind trying a couple bits in my current tank, but shipping turns me off most of the time. Might need to just order some stuff though, unless anybody has anything cheap that ships easy!

At one point when I was on here a few years back, I had a long-tentacle colony sized Pink Goniopora from C7's tank that was absolutely gorgeous, my Pink Skunk Clown used to host in it. When I broke my tanks down I passed it on to another long-time NR member, @sdunkin.

Prop was a friend, and my MIL @BibleSue to consult with him regularly on propagation type stuff, still have some notes from him somewhere. 

Tigahboy's tanks were just beautiful, he could be counted on for that. 

As for Macro, it is one of my goals to be able to regularly harvest & sell the Macros I'll be growing in my tank, so it's certainly possible that you could get some from me at some point. 

Some easy red Macros should be no problem at all & they can be shipped Priority, tho it would prob be wiser to wait til Sept to ship just cause of Summer temps. 

18 hours ago, seabass said:

Thank you for documenting that!  I love it.

YW!!

I just tied/mounted several more, feeling a little :blink: right now. 

17 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I don't know where I got the idea but years ago had toyed with the same idea--divided tank with filter intake on one side and flowing out on the other.  Was gonna be a partial or full rock-wall look and the back chamber full of chaeto (this was before so many decorative macros were around)!  Never got it finished, sadly.  Maybe someday. :)

Well I can definitely tell you that it works!!!

Maybe you can try it on a 10g someday, or a 20L. 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Wow !!!! your hands must be steady as a rock, that is an excellent tie down, very clean.....

In FW I have a few tie downs in Anubias on drift wood and rock, and some in pots. They say you can remove the string once they become well established, I have never removed the string, have growth, would spread more if I removed it. Have had them for years. Very little die off....can you remove the string in saltwater ??? Was not too sure.....I did not tie mine down ordered them that way. My hands are not great, that's why gluing frags to rock. I also have a few moss balls, you do have to care for them, like rolling them around, once in a while and cleaning them. Very nice work. 

Thank you!!

Gluing to rocks works for some Macros, but some feel kinda slippery and the glue doesn't stick to them well. 

Some days my hands are steady, other days not so much, prob like most people. 

I just tied down some smaller pieces to see if I could get them to grow, and that was harder. 

I found that it worked better to make a loop with the fishing line and slide that over the plant and rock and then pull it tight.

4 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Yaaaay new tank thread! 

Welcome aboard!!!

• Like 3
On 7/31/2017 at 6:16 AM, Weetabix7 said:

But how the heck is your post count so low, are you a Lurky McLurkerpants? 

I love Money Cowries. 

They are one of the few critters who will eat Cotton Candy Algae, which is like GHA but pink & EVIL. 

They eat GHA too. 

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

At one point when I was on here a few years back, I had a long-tentacle colony sized Pink Goniopora from C7's tank that was absolutely gorgeous, my Pink Skunk Clown used to host in it. When I broke my tanks down I passed it on to another long-time NR member, @sdunkin.

Prop was a friend, and my MIL @BibleSue to consult with him regularly on propagation type stuff, still have some notes from him somewhere. 

Tigahboy's tanks were just beautiful, he could be counted on for that. 

As for Macro, it is one of my goals to be able to regularly harvest & sell the Macros I'll be growing in my tank, so it's certainly possible that you could get some from me at some point. 

Some easy red Macros should be no problem at all & they can be shipped Priority, tho it would prob be wiser to wait til Sept to ship just cause of Summer temps. 

YW!!

I just tied/mounted several more, feeling a little :blink: right now. 

Well I can definitely tell you that it works!!!

Maybe you can try it on a 10g someday, or a 20L. 

First of all omgomgomg new tank!  I LOVE IT!  Secondly, I had cotton candy algae from hell a few years ago.  Wish I knew then that money cowries love the stuff LOL.  And thirdly, I didn't know BibleSue was your MIL!  So cool :).

• Like 1

This morning I'd like to do a Macroalgae Spotlight on Cryptonemia Crenulata, which has become one of my favorite new Macros.

It's not very well known, which is a shame, cause it's absolutely gorgeous & doesn't seem to be difficult to care for. 

This plant can sometimes be found at the base of Gorgonians in the wild & prefers indirect lighting. 

It does perfectly fine in low light situations, even under ledges. 

My plant is a deep ruby red, tho it looks a little lighter in some of these pics cause it had sunlight shining through the leaves. 

Here's a full plant shot

P1070095

These next couple of pics show it's true coloration a little better, as well as the beautiful ruffly shape of the leaves

P1070094

P1070096

My plant has a very thick & solid core stem that the leaves grow out of, so much so that I couldn't use fishing line to tie it to rubble, it was just too solid. 

In this next pic you can see the bottom of the very solid base, it's the black part in the middle. 

P1070092

This plant would be a good candidate for supergluing, although I chose to just leave it unmounted. 

It also has some interesting and unusual growths on it. 

I don't know what this one is, but it looks cool

P1070091

In that last pic you can also see a couple small pieces of Portiera that attached themselves to this Macro. 

Portiera seems to do that. 

From what I can find this is a slower growing plant, but it's so beautiful and easy to care for that I think it's a good addition to any Macroalgae tank or refugium. 

• Like 6

:wub:

I love red macros!

As to what you said earlier, I'm thinking the same thing about waiting before ordering anything that I can't find locally. September sounds good. Any advice on good red macros that would do well in my reef without too much special consideration?

24 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

I love red macros!

As to what you said earlier, I'm thinking the same thing about waiting before ordering anything that I can't find locally. September sounds good. Any advice on good red macros that would do well in my reef without too much special consideration?

I love dragon's breath, personally, but I can't keep it alive for anything lol.  Most people don't have trouble with it and I'll be trying again in the future.  It's a halymenia sp. that is red with orange tipping on the "leaves" which genuinely makes it look like flames.  Absolutely gorgeous.

I just got something good in the mail, it's really funky and cooo-ooool!!!! :happydance:

Well, if you like Macroalgae it is, if not you'll probably think it's weird. 

1 hour ago, Lingwendil said:

I love red macros!

Botryocladia and Red Graciliara are super easy to keep and also easier to find since they're more common. 

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I love dragon's breath, personally, but I can't keep it alive for anything lol.  Most people don't have trouble with it and I'll be trying again in the future.  It's a halymenia sp. that is red with orange tipping on the "leaves" which genuinely makes it look like flames.  Absolutely gorgeous.

I have some small pieces of Dragon's Breath that I'm gonna try growing out so I can hopefully offer those for sale in Sept. :)

• Like 4