Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

bacteria bloom?

Jcon_343

Can I get an ID on this below. This is not my tank just a pic that I found online. Is this a bacteria bloom? What would be the best way to go about getting rid of this?

Click image for larger version  Name: image-526387997.jpg Views: 240 Size: 60.6 KB ID: 27761

I have what looks the same. It starts out like that then gets a little darker (light green), but still clear. My guess is cyano/green slime algae/BGA, and going to treat as such. I don't carbon dose. Either way, I do think it's some sort of photo synthetic bacteria. There are threads that call it 'ghost algae' if you search the internet. 

I do run a skimmer, but I don't carbon dose. 

20L 

PSK-75 

AC 70 w/inTank basket. Running floss and BRS carbon 

24-36in Current Orbit USA 

1 o.clown 

1 Pajama card

1 6line 

1 skunk 

CUC 

2 turbos snails

2 astraea snails

4 blue leg hermits  

4 Nass 

1 Fighting conch 

I do a 10% change every two weeks. Feed every other day. I dose Reef complete if needed. The only new addition is  a kenya tree that I added two weeks ago. But have had this issue prior to adding the Kenya tree. . The kenya has budded 3 times and I got a hitch hiker shroom. 

fts1.jpg

ken.jpg

I've got the same light and size on my Nuvo 20, hmmm. I was trying to go skimmerless since I redid my tank (new rock and sand). I put my skimmer on to make sure that my water is a max oxygen saturation it can be, it pulling out stuff is a bonus. Don't know if that's why its growing, but I'm sure it was helping with me not running it. I do 3-4 gal water change out of my ~14 gal volume each week, blow off rock with baster, and vacuum my sandbed, use 200 micron filter socks, feed carefully once a day and if anything falls on sand (pellets) I siphon them up with baster before turning pump back on, but it persists. Actually gets worse if I put a small bag of carbon in the sump (tried both ROX and black diamond). I use nothing but dry rock so it may be feeding off what is leaching out, or it may be that I don't have enough beneficial bacterial diversity and numbers to out compete the cyano/bga due to using dry rock (even though ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm, nitrate barely above 0ppm). Heck, might even be seasonal, lol. 

Interesting, my tank has been set up and wet for over 5 years. I had to tear it down and move it last December, had no issues or recycle. You can find the post on my profile. I mix my own salt however I don't have an ro/di. I use distilled and haven't had any ill effects. This has only started showing up in the last month or two. I just want to get a hand on it before something gets out of hand. The only thing I changed after the move was I replaced the sand bed. I washed it using Brandon's method, I also clean/siphon/stir about 1/4 to 1/3rd with every change always hitting a different spot. 

While I was reading about the ghost algae (before I changed my mind and decided it was cyano) I read about people using Algaefix to get rid of it. I bought some at Petsmart and did a 10 gallon dose (1ml), and it knocked it back significantly, I mean my rocks almost looked new minus a few small patches. I was impressed and didn't notice impact on anything, in fact my GSP frag came out more during the day. I only did the one light dose just to try it, put the bottle away, and it came back. I'm sure I could've got rid of it all if I kept up with it, until something out competed it. But I moved on and ordered Chemiclean last night to try that out since there's a LOT of good feedback on it, and people reporting it stays gone. 

I've have  use dChemiclean once. Worked wonders. With my tank I did two scoops full. Covered the tank no lights for 48Hrs. Uncovered did a water change kicked everything back on and never saw it again.