ReefCleaners.org

Jagadeesh's Mushroom Moksha

thespinningsadhu

thespinningsadhu

Well, I just had to have the Fluval Sea Evo V. 

####.

I hate it (so far) as much as I love the Fluval Sea Evo VII.

I am going to do an experiment. I'm going to leave absolutely everything stock. No upgrades. I can't do it. The flow is horrible. Fluval should be ashamed. I ordered the Aqueon Whisper Quiet 600 and will mod it. The only thing I've done is take out the included filter sponge and carbon and thrown in a ChemiPure Blue nano sachet and some polyfil. 

The pump leaves so, so much to be desired. Imagine a two year old kicking his legs in a swimming pool - that's the kind of flow you get with this thing. Even if I wanted to upgrade there's not a submersible pump that will fit in the tiny compartment. 

So, I envision tons of mushrooms, ricordea, leathers, zoas, cloves, and toadstools. A tiny fish - one - some sort of goby. Maybe two if I can swing a yellow watchman for the bottom and a green goby for the top. Inverts, too. Some that I don't have in my big tank - emerald crab? Purple lobster thing. Will research to see if I can do a rock flower anemone. May make it a garden. 

• Like 3
thespinningsadhu

The scape (I love how I ####ed up super gluing the hole closed. I've got more rock coming). 

I used dry pukani rock that's been in spare tanks for a couple of weeks. I don't think it's cycled. Got live sand and and this time I'm trying "seed" instead of biospira. 

IMG_3548.PNG

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu

Saw a huge ammonia spike last night - it was actually off the charts - above 8 ppm. Tonight it's down to 2 ppm. Dosing with "seed" and Dr. Tim's Ammonia. It seems to be working. 

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

Seventh day of dosing with the "seed" and dr tim's ammonia. Live sand, dry pukani rock in the tank. Got a nice diatom bloom. Here are the numbers...

pH - 8.0

Ammonia - 0 ppm 

Nitrite - 5 ppm 

Nitrate - off the charts

I think the API tests are almost worthless. I think they're good for seeing when you can add your first life to the tank, but after that I think it's a matter of watching the health of the tank. Maybe there are better kits out there. 

The nitrates makes sense because I'd just dosed with the seed. But now off to research how to raise pH. 

• Like 3

+1 on uselessness of API test kits. When I had my very first tank I let the legs talk me into buying them even though I wasn't told not to. The trust me I do this for a living. First lesson learnt don't trust lfs.

also not considering a small wave maker if the pump is not achieving what you want

• Like 3
thespinningsadhu

I ordered the pump everyone mods to up the flow - I don't want anything in the tank itself because it's so tiny. 

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

So. I completely changed the rock in my tank. I guess I'm essentially starting from zero as this was dry live rock. Right now it's got a nice green algae on it. I'm getting the diatom bloom. I haven't tested since adding the new rock because I know I'm nowhere near putting sentient beings in the tank. 

I got the Aqueon WhisperQuiet 600 in and modded it for the tank and it's wonderful. Just wonderful. Difference is night and day. 

_DSC1070

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

So. I completely changed the rock in my tank. I guess I'm essentially starting from zero as this was dry live rock. Right now it's got a nice green algae on it. I'm getting the diatom bloom. I haven't tested since adding the new rock because I know I'm nowhere near putting sentient beings in the tank. 

I got the Aqueon WhisperQuiet 600 in and modded it for the tank and it's wonderful. Just wonderful. Difference is night and day. 

_DSC1070

Oooh, me likey!!!!!! :wub:

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

Thank you! I really do, too. The rock. It's a lot of real estate for ricordea and mushrooms and plenty of swimming room for a tiny goby. Maybe I'll have a miracle and the rock won't take six weeks to cure. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Thank you! I really do, too. The rock. It's a lot of real estate for ricordea and mushrooms and plenty of swimming room for a tiny goby. Maybe I'll have a miracle and the rock won't take six weeks to cure. 

It looks so much better than before! ---- ( not that it was shitty before lol) I can't wait to see how it fills in. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

It may be better that you used a different type of rock, cause dry Pukani has a reputation for leaching phosphate for months before it's finally "cured". Would hate to see you start out with that.