Cultivated Reef

How to get friends into the hobby

Han Solo

6 hours ago, seabass said:

I've probably done more to discourage non-fish keepers from getting into the hobby than encouraging them.

Another reason I do that is also why I don't like selling a car to a friend.  I don't care how good the car it is; if something goes wrong, they often blame you (consciously, or unconsciously) even if they never say a word to you about it.  You risk it getting in the way of a friendship.  I'd much rather help someone out that's already in the hobby.  That said, I wouldn't talk someone out of the hobby, but I would try to let a friend know what's he's getting into.

• Like 9
12 minutes ago, seabass said:

Another reason I do that is also why I don't like selling a car to a friend.  I don't care how good the car it is; if something goes wrong, they often blame you (consciously, or unconsciously) even if they never say a word to you about it.  You risk it getting in the way of a friendship.  I'd much rather help someone out that's already in the hobby.  That said, I wouldn't talk someone out of the hobby, but I would try to let a friend know what's he's getting into.

Totally makes sense to me. 

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

So what we are REALLY saying is if you value your friend(s) shield them from the pain and suffering that goes along with keeping a reef tank ;)

• Like 6

So what we are REALLY saying is if you value your friend(s) shield them from the pain and suffering that goes along with keeping a reef tank ;)

Haha

friends.jpg.f01f019cc8e3eec70bfd9cc3257f5e6e.jpg

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Lol, well I wasn't. 

I recognize that it takes a very specific kind of person to both attempt Reefing and succeed at it, and I'd rather develop new friendships with the people already in it than try to convince current friends that this is the thing for them. 

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

I've had this happen. No fun.

Wow, worst nightmare. What happened? Did you have fish in there?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RayWhisperer said:

I've had this happen. No fun.

Just think how pissed you'd be at your friend if he "recommended" you setup that reef tank.

• Like 1

Maybe a family member would be good.  My brother got me into it.  Gives us more things to talk about besides the usual though it was still nice just admiring his tank instead of me doing the water changes lol

RayWhisperer
2 hours ago, Han Solo said:

Wow, worst nightmare. What happened? Did you have fish in there?

Long story, long ago. Yes, I had fish. 240 gal FW. Basically, the top cracked (think eurobraced style) and the back pane peeled down to about 3 inches from the bottom. House is on a concrete slab, so all the water got soaked into the carpet, drywall, insulation and studs.

35 minutes ago, seabass said:

Just think how pissed you'd be at your friend if he "recommended" you setup that reef tank.

Actually, though he didn't recommend me getting into tanks ( have been doing fishtanks for almost 40 years now) However, he did recommend the tank builder (glass cages) Surprisingly, I'm still good friends with him.

Edit. Let this be a lesson to you guys. Don't skimp and go the cheapest route. It'll cost you much more in the end.

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, richnyc said:

Maybe a family member would be good.  My brother got me into it.  Gives us more things to talk about besides the usual though it was still nice just admiring his tank instead of me doing the water changes lol

I got my MIL started, old-timers on here might recognize her name, BibleSue. 

We actually had a small Propagation operation together for a short time that we had a lot of fund with called Reef Chick's Coral Kitchen. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

I think the real question is: how do we get our spouses to give a shit?

Not sure. It seems they either love it or put up with it. ;)

Both myself and the hubby equally love the hobby so I'm lucky. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Nixperience said:

I think the real question is: how do we get our spouses to give a shit?

Just don't hit her as hard after you buy tank stuff. The programming will kick in. 

• Like 3

Most people appreciate the beauty of coral reefs. Especially when they see them up close, it's hard not to be fascinated by their beauty. That does not mean they should have one of their own. Very few people are capable and/or willing to do what it takes to maintain a reef tank successfully. It's incredibly difficult, takes a lot of work, time, and devotion. Trying to persuade someone instead of letting them make the decision on their own is just a bad idea. I think, you think you're trying to do them a favor but honestly you're more than likely setting them up for failure.

I wish I could talk my friends ears off about reefing. Yeah, it would be cool if they were as passionate about it as I am but they're not, and I'm not going to try to change that. If you insist on having likeminded reefing friends, find new ones. That's what this forum, other forums, frag swaps, the LFS are good for (among other things). 

32 minutes ago, samnaz said:

If you insist on having likeminded reefing friends, find new ones. That's what this forum, other forums, frag swaps, the LFS are good for (among other things).

Yeah, but you all are such nerds.

:lol:  Just kidding!

• Like 3
On 6/26/2017 at 3:42 PM, Han Solo said:

I've been keeping saltwater tanks for a few years now. Pretty much everyone that comes by enjoys my tanks but I have yet to get any of my friends to start a tank. Expense and time are factors, but then again once you are addicted they aren't as much :) 

Any have any stories or advice on getting friends into the hobby?

why would you want to do bad thing to your friend.

this hobby is so addicted and could make them go broke and could potentially divorce

• Like 1
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Yeah, but you all are such nerds.

:lol:  Just kidding!

I'm the coolest nerd you'll ever meet!!!

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, ifarmer said:

why would you want to do bad thing to your friend.

this hobby is so addicted and could make them go broke and could potentially divorce

Funny the friend I had in mind is already married and one of the few friends to get married yet. 

But if you're marriage is broken up from spending too much money on new hobby, you got bigger problems. 

I wish more friends did though./..