Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3g Cube, 5g Marineland....Now What ????

cfaye@Delaware

cfaye@Delaware

8/6/17 AM 

Tank ok......

I want to thank everyone for helping me again, esp. on finding a fish for me and a host of other outstanding help.......

Quick update, life has gone crazy, things have gotten very busy and caring for the saltwater and freshwater tanks and work, it is insane. Eat, sleep, work, tanks, personal things......

Mr Fish is doing very well, eating, pods and he likes frozen brine shrimp, does not like pellets, trying to get him used to those. I'm using the shot glass method to feed him when I'm not home. The filter was blowing stuff around, and getting sucked in and polluting the tank, wasting food. I might get some live brine shrimp, he likes it when the food moves. 

The tiny hermit crab finally changed shells so I'm very happy about that. 

All of the coral are in the tank, all orders are in, everyone is doing fine.

All tank food orders are in, ( fish, coral, crabs ) so I should be ok for a bit.

Battling algae, so far only on tank wall, I clean the sand and stir twice a day, water change every 4 days, stock filter pad change about every 4 days. Top off twice a day. Salt level 1.024 and 1/2......Also will empty water out of filter about every 4 days and clean back compartment. 

Still working on timeline for coral growth, seems a bit slow maybe with new food it will get better. 

Will try to post pictures in a bit.......Once again I want to thank everyone for helping me, this place is awesome.......

Some tank shots of old and new coral :

0803170754.thumb.jpg.bd7eb0785442359d89b817b341171806.jpg

0803170756.thumb.jpg.c8181789b63452b402e9cbc4b7277939.jpg

0803170755a.thumb.jpg.a4f17d7f491a89d41040b6b7791a0472.jpg

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added photos
  • Like 1

Looks nice!  You can cut back on feeding a bit and let the tank go for a couple days if you need to, and when you have time just give it a good once over. :) I try to set all my tanks up so they can be neglected for a few days if necessary.  Heck, my 5.5 goes weeks without a water change sometimes!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
cfaye@Delaware

8/9/17 PM Tank Ok 

Lula_Mae.....Thanks for stopping by, good to see you.....

On 8/7/2017 at 4:23 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Looks nice!  You can cut back on feeding a bit and let the tank go for a couple days if you need to, and when you have time just give it a good once over. :) I try to set all my tanks up so they can be neglected for a few days if necessary.  Heck, my 5.5 goes weeks without a water change sometimes!

LOL.....I'm afraid to let my tank go that long, it is such a small tank and loaded with livestock and with new fish for now trying to keep clean until he gets settled in more and used to the new system, taking it slow for now. Mr Fish so far is doing great, main thing he is eating and looks pretty good. Will try to get picture one day. I sent an email to the place he came from and asked what they feed him.....LOL.....they sent a huge list, some things I have, they were very nice with the info. I am running the tank like a cross between a reef jar and a pico. Today did heavy feeding and major cleaning, Filter and pad, sand bed and stir, scrape some algae, water change, added prime and just general tank housekeeping. Also I noticed on one of my new frags, about 3 clear tentacles. I posted over in the disease & pest treatment forum, I think it is supposed to be some kind of snail, still not sure what to do, frag is ok at this moment. Hard to get pictures, very tiny. Also been looking into Sun Coral, I think the tank can do it and also a very small Pin Cushion Urchin, not sure about the urchin, maybe not enough room and they might be hard to keep, the urchin will be about an inch or so. So right now kind of waiting for things to grow. The timeline looks like 6 months for things to start to fill out and about a year for full bloom.  At least in my tank.......With the new coral foods at least I'm getting good color and I just started using them, I do love color. I would like to have lots of color in the marineland. 

2 minutes ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

8/9/17 PM Tank Ok 

Lula_Mae.....Thanks for stopping by, good to see you.....

LOL.....I'm afraid to let my tank go that long, it is such a small tank and loaded with livestock and with new fish for now trying to keep clean until he gets settled in more and used to the new system, taking it slow for now. Mr Fish so far is doing great, main thing he is eating and looks pretty good. Will try to get picture one day. I sent an email to the place he came from and asked what they feed him.....LOL.....they sent a huge list, some things I have, they were very nice with the info. I am running the tank like a cross between a reef jar and a pico. Today did heavy feeding and major cleaning, Filter and pad, sand bed and stir, scrape some algae, water change, added prime and just general tank housekeeping. Also I noticed on one of my new frags, about 3 clear tentacles. I posted over in the disease & pest treatment forum, I think it is supposed to be some kind of snail, still not sure what to do, frag is ok at this moment. Hard to get pictures, very tiny. Also been looking into Sun Coral, I think the tank can do it and also a very small Pin Cushion Urchin, not sure about the urchin, maybe not enough room and they might be hard to keep, the urchin will be about an inch or so. So right now kind of waiting for things to grow. The timeline looks like 6 months for things to start to fill out and about a year for full bloom.  At least in my tank.......With the new coral foods at least I'm getting good color and I just started using them, I do love color. I would like to have lots of color in the marineland. 

lol not saying you have to neglect the tank for weeks!  Just that, if you keep your set up simple, then if life gets busy for a time, you can just feed lightly and only do a big feeding just before water changes.  I'd recommend waiting on the sun coral unless you have a solid plan to keep from polluting the tank with their feeding and I'd probably want a bit more experience/more stable tank.  They are beautiful though!  Not sure on the urchin as I don't know much about them.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cfaye@Delaware

Hi, hope all is well.

You are spot on about the Sun Coral, I'm having a hard time trying to keep things clean from the fish and crabs. A member has said that you could feed the coral 2 to 3 times a week or daily. I posted in the classified form, WTB: Sun Coral......So 3 times a week is do able.  As for the urchin, they are very picky about water quality and nitrates I think and I'm a heavy feeder. As always thank you for everything you do. 

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

Tank Ok as of this posting.......

Things seem to have settled down, everybody is hanging in there. 8/12/17......tiny crab molted, doing ok, still looking for shells for him and he did change shells a few days ago. Pods and bristle worms in check. Still have pest algae but so far only on tank wall, working on it. Now the thing about algae on wall, I have found Mr Fish on that wall and the wall is full of Pods. Right now I have a patch of that algae (watching it) for Mr Fish. The corals are coloring nicely with the new foods. I might have coral growth but very, very slow. Now what I have done is ordered 10 lbs of live rock, supposed to be full of life, Oh gees, what have I done. Any way I will QT the rock for a few days, clean it up and see what happens. Now will be running 3 tanks. 1 freshwater, 2 salt. 1 is the tetra 3g I'm working with now and the other is a 3g for left over live rock. The left over rock I will use for the marineland next year. I plan on running the live rock tank bare bottom. I want to break the rock in to small pieces and but coral on them and some just to leave empty for crabs. I think I can do this. I live near the beach and people go saltwater fishing, I went to the fish, tackle and bait shop and brought a bait bucket, AIO. It has an air pump for the bait fish, runs on battery for 44hr I think......will try to get picture, seems pretty neat., about 4-5g. Will try to post pictures of it. Rock is supposed to come in at end of week, had trouble with order, hope ok. I hope all is well with everyone.......

Have a great week !!!! 

8/14/17

Today is major cleaning day, all tanks also the whole house. Yes.....my live rock order went thru, should be here 8/17/17......Yes !!!!! Must remember to take pictures.

Picture of bucket....

0814171144.thumb.jpg.a4d6951bbec1ea112fbed71775df7fad.jpg

Picture of Mr. Fish, he sometimes will change color ???? Green to Blue, he seems ok.....

0814171320.thumb.jpg.c7ae2250253ffcc16e4121b873c03f11.jpg

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added photos
1 hour ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Tank Ok as of this posting.......

Things seem to have settled down, everybody is hanging in there. 8/12/17......tiny crab molted, doing ok, still looking for shells for him and he did change shells a few days ago. Pods and bristle worms in check. Still have pest algae but so far only on tank wall, working on it. Now the thing about algae on wall, I have found Mr Fish on that wall and the wall is full of Pods. Right now I have a patch of that algae (watching it) for Mr Fish. The corals are coloring nicely with the new foods. I might have coral growth but very, very slow. Now what I have done is ordered 10 lbs of live rock, supposed to be full of life, Oh gees, what have I done. Any way I will QT the rock for a few days, clean it up and see what happens. Now will be running 3 tanks. 1 freshwater, 2 salt. 1 is the tetra 3g I'm working with now and the other is a 3g for left over live rock. The left over rock I will use for the marineland next year. I plan on running the live rock tank bare bottom. I want to break the rock in to small pieces and but coral on them and some just to leave empty for crabs. I think I can do this. I live near the beach and people go saltwater fishing, I went to the fish, tackle and bait shop and brought a bait bucket, AIO. It has an air pump for the bait fish, runs on battery for 44hr I think......will try to get picture, seems pretty neat., about 4-5g. Will try to post pictures of it. Rock is supposed to come in at end of week, had trouble with order, hope ok. I hope all is well with everyone.......

Have a great week !!!! 

Interesting. 

Where did you order the rock from?

• Haha 1
cfaye@Delaware

Hi, nice to see you. I ordered the rock from gulfliverock by Dan. It looked fab. The premium deco rock.....I bet it's loaded with things I can't stand LMAO.......But it had nice color.....I hope. So will be watching this piece of rock, Hawk Eye......

• Haha 2

Hi, nice to see you. I ordered the rock from gulfliverock by Dan. It looked fab. The premium deco rock.....I bet it's loaded with things I can't stand LMAO.......But it had nice color.....I hope. So will be watching this piece of rock, Hawk Eye......

I've heard good things about his rock. 

And yeah, my comment about it being interesting was cause I also suspect it will have some things that will "bug" you. :lol:

• Haha 2
cfaye@Delaware

8/14/17 PM   Tank Ok......

Well I tried something new. LOL, I made a 1min video of my tank and put it on YouTube but I don't know how to put the video on here, all I can do right now is try and post a link. I will look around and see if I can find any info....thanks for any help as always....This is my first video ever.....

Wow !!!! This is amazing, it came up by it's self, technology is awesome....I went to school for html and java scrip but this takes the cake.....too easy.....so never mind.....LOL

• Like 1

Well I tried something new. LOL, I made a 1min video of my tank and put it on YouTube but I don't know how to put the video on here, all I can do right now is try and post a link. I will look around and see if I can find any info....thanks for any help as always....This is my first video ever.....

Wow !!!! This is amazing, it came up by it's self, technology is awesome....I went to school for html and java scrip but this takes the cake.....too easy.....so never mind.....LOL

Yeah @Christopher Marks has worked hard to make sharing photos and videos as seamless as possible!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Nice!!

It helped to be able to see some of the stuff you've been talking about. 

• Thanks 1
cfaye@Delaware

8/15/17 PM tank ok.....

Quick update.....the bait bucket that I took a picture of and was going to use Has Lead in it, says right on the label, fine print.....Stupid......Taking back to bait store......

Also my large rock has turned black, so far everything on rock and in tank is ok. I thought it was nice green normal algae grown, not so much now. I did cut back on feeding some what, that is the only thing different I can think of. 

Are you sure it's black on the rock? Lighting can cause things to appear differently sometimes.

Is it crusty, soft, spongy?

Does it come off?

Some would say anoxic but that normally occurs under the rock.

Could be some type of algae due to nutrients.

Do you use a turkey baster on the rock?

What are your nitrates and phos levels at?

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

Hi, good to see you. I will try to get my water tested in a couple of days from LFS. Better than nothing, I also was not happy with the flow coming from the filter, took it apart cleaned parts, much better. I do clean my rocks twice a day..... Also because I do feed, nitrates and phos could be a problem most likely in such a small tank, I try to keep clean. Also what ever is on rock can't tell the feel of it, ain't touching it.....pods on rock. Also not sure if it comes off ??? Thanks for the info, will be working on it.....

Tank ok....as of this post

8/16/17 AM

Mr Round the large hermit molted again, now to me this is a lot of molts since I've had him and he is getting huge. Took out shells to clean them for a few days.

8/17/17 3g Terta Main Tank Ok......

Ok so my live rock arrived 8/17/17 AM

Oh My Goodness !!!! I'm in huge trouble, that thing was nasty ( In A Very Good Way !!! ), filthy, dirty, gross. I had on 2 pairs of gloves, was no telling what was on it. I had a 3g tank of salt water running for a few hours and ready for the hot mess coming. Now you are supposed to clean it off and I was like with what a power washer. WOW that thing was nasty, no bad smell or anything. So with out cleaning put in 3g. I'm treating this tank like a jar reef, lots of water changes, plus bare buttom, no fish or coral. A friend of mine gave me a Turbo Snail so he will be my indicator. I have a filter and air pump. Now as far as life on rock, bristle worms ( to me like roaches of the sea, will live no matter what ), looks like marine blood worms, a few plants that look like catus ( can't spell ), some clams and some kind of different corals, everything is very small. Also did add prime for die off. Salt level 1.023. Tank temp 78 degress

8/18/17 Am All Tanks Ok

Fed and cleaned all tanks, just tank chores, nothing major. I will break up the rock in a few days, I wanted to see where the most life was and to QT, so far nothing interesting like star fish, crabs, feather dusters. Now this rock has some huge holes, ain't no tell'in whats might be in those. I will need to upgrade the rock tank, lights, filter. Pictures a bit later. Wish me luck on this Hot Mess !!!!   :scarry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Hi, good to see you. I will try to get my water tested in a couple of days from LFS. Better than nothing, I also was not happy with the flow coming from the filter, took it apart cleaned parts, much better. I do clean my rocks twice a day..... Also because I do feed, nitrates and phos could be a problem most likely in such a small tank, I try to keep clean. Also what ever is on rock can't tell the feel of it, ain't touching it.....pods on rock. Also not sure if it comes off ??? Thanks for the info, will be working on it.....

Tank ok....as of this post

8/16/17 AM

Mr Round the large hermit molted again, now to me this is a lot of molts since I've had him and he is getting huge. Took out shells to clean them for a few days.

Oh My Goodness !!!! I'm in huge trouble, that thing was nasty ( In A Very Good Way !!! ), filthy, dirty, gross. I had on 2 pairs of gloves, was no telling what was on it. I had a 3g tank of salt water running for a few hours and ready for the hot mess coming. Now you are supposed to clean it off and I was like with what a power washer. WOW that thing was nasty, no bad smell or anything. So with out cleaning put in 3g. I'm treating this tank like a jar reef, lots of water changes, plus bare buttom, no fish or coral. A friend of mine gave me a Turbo Snail so he will be my indicator. I have a filter and air pump. Now as far as life on rock, bristle worms ( to me like roaches of the sea, will live no matter what ), looks like marine blood worms, a few plants that look like catus ( can't spell ), some clams and some kind of different corals, everything is very small. Also did add prime for die off. Salt level 1.023. Tank temp 78 degress

8/18/17 Am All Tanks Ok

Fed and cleaned all tanks, just tank chores, nothing major. I will break up the rock in a few days, I wanted to see where the most life was and to QT, so far nothing interesting like star fish, crabs, feather dusters. Now this rock has some huge holes, ain't no tell'in whats might be in those. I will need to upgrade the rock tank, lights, filter. Pictures a bit later. Wish me luck on this Hot Mess !!!!   :scarry:

You'll be fine!  The rock comes straight out of the ocean so it's gonna have loads of stuff on it! ;)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

8/18/17 Am All Tanks Ok

I have to tell you, I am super impressed that you're doing this, especially since it clearly takes you outside your comfort zone. 

I know that it looks and seems super "messy" when it first arrives, but you will be so amazed at all of the really cool life that pops up out of it, it's like Magic Rock. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
cfaye@Delaware

Hello everyone, thanks for dropping in. Well the rock is like rock so far. Have not seen any thing really special. The rock was out of the water, just wrapped in wet paper towels for about 4 days for shipping, I'm thinking not much made it, I have seen no remains of dead life. Next time I will try overnight. The rock tank is sort of doing ok, no bad smell, indicator Turbo Snail is ok. I have seen no pods just the bristle worms and Marine Blood worms and that's when I first put rock in, nothing since. Now so far lost one clam, I think I had at least 3. I can see one more I think it is ok, open only slightly. Now the one I lost opened fully over a period of about 24hr, so I'm thinking something wrong with tank. Also thinking if something very wrong with tank it would have opened right away. Every thing else seems fine. Now there is something in the tank alive because the clam I lost shell was sparkling clean, shine clean. Something ate it, BFF bristle worms ???? Now the coral must be like wild coral  :lol:    It looks real strange, hard to get picture, will try later. I might try and put a piece of meat in and see what happens.....LOL Also will start the Marineland 5g up sooner, the rock is perfect, also I'm pretty sure where the rock came from does custom rock that I saw quite a while ago. Yes you are right, this is out of my zone but there will be nothing of enormous value in tank for a very long time. Plus I've seen nothing extra creepy. I will try to break up the largest piece of rock 8/21/17......

Tank ok ( 3g Tetra Main Tank ) 8/20/17 AM 

Ok, so I tried to cut back on feeding, crabs went crazy did not hurt anything just looking for algae and whatever, they turned over frags. With crabs tried once a day feeding. Mr Fish, Honeymoon over, took out shot glass because was eating frozen right when I put it in, ( watching his weight ) feeding him once a day at night. I have plenty of pods so he can eat those rest of time. The coral, feed every other day seem to be ok. Now with crabs they like the algae wafers hard. Looking for fish vitamins, for extra boost.  

Picture Of Live Rock 

0817170945a.thumb.jpg.d8a24f3dadfa41dbc13eba555236aaf4.jpg  

Try my hand at another video, Rock Tank Few Hour Old......

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
cfaye@Delaware

8/21/17 AM

Live Rock Tank Not Ok !!!!!

I lost all of my clams, I am so unhappy, I'm so sad. The turbo snail is ok. Because I'm not a really great water tester ( stupid ), I lost my clams. I was dosing prime some and watching the turbo snail ( not fair to snail ). Right now the only thing I can think of is that the salt levels might have been way off. The place rock came from runs tank at 1.021-1.023, my tank runs 1.024-1.025, that is a huge jump and I did not acclimate rock or bring salt water level up slow. Now this is only thing I can think off and what I can remember clams are pretty hardy ( strong ). Another thing, these rocks have some type of awesome CUC every one of inside of shell, sparkle clean. I like clams, so sorry I lost them, saved some shells for the marineland. 

I broke up the largest rock, there is life deep inside of the rocks, I will try to lower the salt level slowly I think ???? Not sure since life deep in rock, might be ok.  What ever it is it comes out eats stuff, goes back in. Now what I saw when I broke up the rock, I don't want to talk about right now until I can regroup, it was sort of gruesome and creepy, had on gloves. I got my pieces of rock and left the rest in a bucket of salt water trying to decide what to do with the rest of that piece of rock. I will clean the rest of the live rock in the next day or 2 and a 100% water change. I will do the overnight shipping and watch my salt levels next time because all of the info on this rock is true, pictures and everything, well worth it. 

3g Tetra Main Tank Ok 

I added live rock during lights out time, that woke everyone up, crabs, coral, fish. Crabs on new rocks real quick. Corals woke up, what ever rock was giving off corals liked, they had their little mouths open and none got pissed. I will try to post pictures later, waiting for things to adjust. In a way sort of happy, but sort of, well stupid because of clams. 

On side note will go to sea food market and get some clams for rock tank CUC. 

8/21/17 AM

I lost all of my clams, I am so unhappy, I'm so sad. The turbo snail is ok. Because I'm not a really great water tester ( stupid ), I lost my clams. I was dosing prime some and watching the turbo snail ( not fair to snail ). Right now the only thing I can think of is that the salt levels might have been way off. The place rock came from runs tank at 1.021-1.023, my tank runs 1.024-1.025, that is a huge jump and I did not acclimate rock or bring salt water level up slow. Now this is only thing I can think off and what I can remember clams are pretty hardy ( strong ). Another thing, these rocks have some type of awesome CUC every one of inside of shell, sparkle clean. I like clams, so sorry I lost them, saved some shells for the marineland. 

I broke up the largest rock, there is life deep inside of the rocks, I will try to lower the salt level slowly I think ???? Not sure since life deep in rock, might be ok.  What ever it is it comes out eats stuff, goes back in. Now what I saw when I broke up the rock, I don't want to talk about right now until I can regroup, it was sort of gruesome and creepy, had on gloves. I got my pieces of rock and left the rest in a bucket of salt water trying to decide what to do with the rest of that piece of rock. I will clean the rest of the live rock in the next day or 2 and a 100% water change. I will do the overnight shipping and watch my salt levels next time because all of the info on this rock is true, pictures and everything, well worth it. 

3g Tetra Main Tank Ok 

I added live rock during lights out time, that woke everyone up, crabs, coral, fish. Crabs on new rocks real quick. Corals woke up, what ever rock was giving off corals liked, they had their little mouths open and none got pissed. I will try to post pictures later, waiting for things to adjust. In a way sort of happy, but sort of, well stupid because of clams. 

Since the live rock was uncured, you're going to have dieoff, and sadly the clams were part of that.  I wouldn't try to alter the salt level now that you've got it at reef levels.  Be careful adding uncured live rock to an established tank and be prepared to do extra water changes on your Tetra.  I would not attempt to add any more rock to your Tetra until that rock has been cured/cycled.  For a member's experience using this rock, check out FlowerMama's tank that was Tank of the Month in May or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

8/21/17 AM

3g Tetra Main Tank Ok 

I actually have a decent bit of personal experience with uncured live rock, and the bottom line honest truth is that you will lose most of the life on the rock if you don't have it shipped overnight. 

There just really isn't any way around that. 

Changing the salinity of the water won't really change things at this point. 

Right now, most of what was on that rock is dead (which is probably what you saw on the inside) and it just needs to be broken down by bacteria. 

The best thing you can do for the remaining life is to do a 50% water change daily for the next 5 days or so. 

See the "Soft Cycle Thread" for more info on this. 

Unless you had it shipped overnight, there isn't really much you could have done for the clams. 

• Thanks 1
cfaye@Delaware

8/23/17 AM  All Tanks Ok I think ????

3g Tetra ok I think.....

On 8/21/2017 at 8:01 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Since the live rock was uncured, you're going to have dieoff, and sadly the clams were part of that.  I wouldn't try to alter the salt level now that you've got it at reef levels.  Be careful adding uncured live rock to an established tank and be prepared to do extra water changes on your Tetra.  I would not attempt to add any more rock to your Tetra until that rock has been cured/cycled.  For a member's experience using this rock, check out FlowerMama's tank that was Tank of the Month in May or so.

Yes you are very right about adding any more rock, the coral, I think are still eating something out of the rock and some of them have gotten huge. Pictures in a bit. So I will wait a bit before I feed them anything. Crabs and Mr Fish ok. The reason I wanted the live rock was for the coralline algae, I love that color, plus maybe some nice hitchhikers, I still have hope for life deep inside the rock. I have not gotten a chance to read FlowerMama's build yet, something tells me, better hurry it up. Mr Fish has lots of new hiding spots, can't believe I can't find him in a 3g tank sometimes. The small amount of rock I put in had life, either marine blood worms or fire worms, so watching crab shells. The large rock seems to be ok, the algae on it is ok. Now I am beginning to read you have to sort of work to keep coralline algae alive or it will turn grey. Oh I'm glad a member did a post about adding sand, I'm getting low in the tank. Now one of the coral is getting huge and looks like running out of frag room, not sure what to do. It is the LFS no ID, a protopalythoa, button polyp coral, zoa. 

On 8/21/2017 at 9:45 PM, Weetabix7 said:

I actually have a decent bit of personal experience with uncured live rock, and the bottom line honest truth is that you will lose most of the life on the rock if you don't have it shipped overnight. 

There just really isn't any way around that. 

Changing the salinity of the water won't really change things at this point. 

Right now, most of what was on that rock is dead (which is probably what you saw on the inside) and it just needs to be broken down by bacteria. 

The best thing you can do for the remaining life is to do a 50% water change daily for the next 5 days or so. 

See the "Soft Cycle Thread" for more info on this. 

Unless you had it shipped overnight, there isn't really much you could have done for the clams. 

Yes must be over night esp. if you want hitchhikers. I read the soft cycle thread, thank you lots for the info. A bit confusing with the testing but working on it, also taking out more water for my water changes. Like I said, filter and air pump running, salt level 1.024. Testing ammonia twice a day, salifert, I still can't read results, some where in white range. I think the most is 0.5 I dose prime every other day a few drops. I have tried all kinds of light to read it, just can't see. 

live rock tank ok I think ???

I have seen nothing.....Turbo snail ok and moving on the rocks. Still hoping for life. Trying to keep coralline algae alive.

0822170447.thumb.jpg.9a1bc57e2f304a4c33d2f44c99ddb7a4.jpg

Still want to do some aquascaping, move things around.

I want to thank everyone for posting and once again the awesome help.......

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added photos
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

8/23/17 AM  All Tanks Ok I think ????

3g Tetra ok I think.....

Yes you are very right about adding any more rock, the coral, I think are still eating something out of the rock and some of them have gotten huge. Pictures in a bit. So I will wait a bit before I feed them anything. Crabs and Mr Fish ok. The reason I wanted the live rock was for the coralline algae, I love that color, plus maybe some nice hitchhikers, I still have hope for life deep inside the rock. I have not gotten a chance to read FlowerMama's build yet, something tells me, better hurry it up. Mr Fish has lots of new hiding spots, can't believe I can't find him in a 3g tank sometimes. The small amount of rock I put in had life, either marine blood worms or fire worms, so watching crab shells. The large rock seems to be ok, the algae on it is ok. Now I am beginning to read you have to sort of work to keep coralline algae alive or it will turn grey. Oh I'm glad a member did a post about adding sand, I'm getting low in the tank. Now one of the coral is getting huge and looks like running out of frag room, not sure what to do. It is the LFS no ID, a protopalythoa, button polyp coral, zoa. 

Yes must be over night esp. if you want hitchhikers. I read the soft cycle thread, thank you lots for the info. A bit confusing with the testing but working on it, also taking out more water for my water changes. Like I said, filter and air pump running, salt level 1.024. Testing ammonia twice a day, salifert, I still can't read results, some where in white range. I think the most is 0.5 I dose prime every other day a few drops. I have tried all kinds of light to read it, just can't see. 

live rock tank ok I think ???

I have seen nothing.....Turbo snail ok and moving on the rocks. Still hoping for life. Trying to keep coralline algae alive.

0822170447.thumb.jpg.9a1bc57e2f304a4c33d2f44c99ddb7a4.jpg

Still want to do some aquascaping, move things around.

I want to thank everyone for posting and once again the awesome help.......

Looks fine so far, tho it looks like you have a bit of algae on the glass. :)

Not really a criticism, I deliberately leave algae on some parts of my glass for snails to eat, esp since I have lotsa baby snails. 

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

8/25/17 AM 

All tanks Ok ....I think ???

Thanks everybody for stopping by. 

Lula_Mae: WoW !!!! Thank you for the info on FlowerMama's Tank, we have the same rock and I'm still reading. Good Lord, her ammonia levels were thru the roof, I had forgotten about the huge amount of die off. Goodness the snail in my tank could have burst into flames. Now the tank was and still is being treated as a reef jar, lots of water changes and prime. The poor snail is ok and doing an excellent job of cleaning the rocks, I did not clean them. Also have been doing my water changes on the tetra. Now whatever the new rock was giving off has died down, corals have stopped feeding and ok. Tank seems ok as of this post, will not add more rock for a while. 

Weetabix7   :lol:   Yes about the algae. Looking at the picture I posted, on the left hand side of tank wall is the algae garden for pods for Mr Fish, I have seen him on the wall. On the right side of the picture is the, I forgot the name, on that wall is the white swirl thing city, loaded with the white round things, no algae on that wall, plus have seen tiny hermit crab climbing that wall. 

Updated pictures of live rock tank. One large piece removed.......

0824170543a.thumb.jpg.841ab68d711acf61c8204b457d78c304.jpg

The Snail......

0824170545b.thumb.jpg.ec4a4e0e6bfbb8aef2aeb823fbf1661f.jpg

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added photos
17 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

8/25/17 AM 

All tanks Ok ....I think ???

Thanks everybody for stopping by. 

Lula_Mae: WoW !!!! Thank you for the info on FlowerMama's Tank, we have the same rock and I'm still reading. Good Lord, her ammonia levels were thru the roof, I had forgotten about the huge amount of die off. Goodness the snail in my tank could have burst into flames. Now the tank was and still is being treated as a reef jar, lots of water changes and prime. The poor snail is ok and doing an excellent job of cleaning the rocks, I did not clean them. Also have been doing my water changes on the tetra. Now whatever the new rock was giving off has died down, corals have stopped feeding and ok. Tank seems ok as of this post, will not add more rock for a while. 

Weetabix7   :lol:   Yes about the algae. Looking at the picture I posted, on the left hand side of tank wall is the algae garden for pods for Mr Fish, I have seen him on the wall. On the right side of the picture is the, I forgot the name, on that wall is the white swirl thing city, loaded with the white round things, no algae on that wall, plus have seen tiny hermit crab climbing that wall. 

Updated pictures of live rock tank. One large piece removed.......

0824170543a.thumb.jpg.841ab68d711acf61c8204b457d78c304.jpg

The Snail......

0824170545b.thumb.jpg.ec4a4e0e6bfbb8aef2aeb823fbf1661f.jpg

Burst into flames! :lol: Hopefully the snail will be ok, I'd just do frequent water changes.  Glad you're finding FlowerMama's thread helpful. :)

• Thanks 1
  • cfaye@Delaware changed the title to 3g Cube, 5g Marineland....Now What ????