Coral Vue Hydros

3g Cube, 5g Marineland....Now What ????

cfaye@Delaware

cfaye@Delaware

Hi, excellent to see you.......Yes Friday 13 th, yes dug up a very real sore spot for me, but I do appreciate any kind of help good or bad.......

And your comment is what I have been doing now......started that a bit ago when the big button poly appeared to have choked, I think I read that some where that if they eat something too big that can happen ???? I just used to drop food in and the poly would grab anything and it would close up quick......LOL

I have not visited you in a bit......I hope all is well, I do have an idea for tanks, I don't like tearing up walls........

Thanks again for stopping by, I need any and all help I can get.......Peace Out ........

• 2 weeks later...
cfaye@Delaware

A Salt Water Mix-Up Jar

OR

AKA PLANT JAR 

59ed66da4ee91_ContestJar.thumb.jpg.a5a4f24068f54c06f0190de16909174a.jpg

Theme: Steampunk

Container: Anchor Hocking 2g jar  (Had)

Lighting: Coral Compulsion par 30 Reef Vibrance (Had)

Mount: Globe Desk Lamp (Had)

Heater: Marina Submersible Mini 25-Watt

Flow: Aqua Culture Aquarium Air Pump (ADD INFO) Check Valves, Flow Adjustment Valves, Air Stones, Tubing, Suction Cups.

Rock: Live (cured ?) HAD-----Rock Tank (HAD)

Substrate: Carib Sea Arag-Alive, Figi Mud (HAD)  (ADD INFO)

Salt: Instant Ocean Reef Crystals (HAD)

Macro-Algae: C. Barbata, Red Graciliara (HAD)

Coral: Green Star Polyps, Sympodium, Xenia

Critters: TBD

cfaye@Delaware

TOOLS FOR JAR

Buckets (HAD)

I'm using distilled water (HAD)

Something to measure salt levels (HAD) 

Test Kits: Salifert, API (HAD)

Bowels (HAD)

ADD INFO:

cfaye@Delaware

I am out......Playing along was a very bad choice of words........

I have created a monster in my own home......I will be calling the hazmat team to pick up every thing......

We believe that taking pictures capture the soul......this is a very bad thing to us........

I can understand what you are trying to do.......because whatever is causing the ocean to die is happening very quickly......

This might help not sure......web surf from there......my tags were pest pico, not because of the type of corals I was growing, but because of the evil pests that live in the ocean......there are good pests and evil pests.......

https://www.britannica.com/science/conservation-ecology

• 4 weeks later...
cfaye@Delaware

Tools For Plant Jar: 

5a13a12f47065_JarTools.thumb.jpg.be5bb5eae5a076a2a1b10b4381e84dfb.jpg    

Hope to update for monthly report..........

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
Added Info
cfaye@Delaware

A round about the first week in November I went to the hospital for 2 weeks, I live alone.......I lost both the 3g and rock tank. Broke those down. I arrived home this past Sunday.....The way it looks now I will be slowly moving out of salt water and will continue to enjoy Nano-Reef.......This has become too much for me......My friend while I was gone, he tried to save the tanks, he did his best......the plant jar was the only one to pass thru, it might be ok.......I took what I could from the 3g, crabs and coral.......Still waiting on the out come. Mr. Fish did not make it, he is out in the rose garden......My friend has a very awesome diner I owe him.......

FTS:

5a147074b23f6_JarSick.thumb.jpg.433d20a0e7308a9fa9f1384b050727ae.jpg

This is what is left of 3g......everything in that tank was black including sand.....looking from the top water was clear.....my friend did his best.........

5a14716188d81_BlackRock3g.thumb.jpg.99305762696d661d476d220c1c1ec2ee.jpg

Now in the plant jar, the blackness might appear, I will try to make peace with it, give it, it's own space......treat coral with Coral RX and Aiptasia-X, Some a few days, then switch, treating coral once a week along with water changes......I only hope to slow it down some......

I do have plan C and D in the works but that is a last ditch move, not at that point yet......After things settle down a bit, I will do my cleaning and treatments starting this weekend......

To tell you the truth I don't know what is in jar, but whatever it is it don't look nice........

• Sad 1

I'm sorry to hear. I hope you feel better.

One thing that I did was make a simple instruction guide with pictures on doing a water change/feeding - that way if I was gone for a time someone without knowledge could hold things down.

I hope you say in the hobby. Maybe keep a couple of "emeregency gallons" of ready-made salt water around. Keep with something simple that you enjoy. 

I hope the worst is behind you and you are recovering well!

• 3 weeks later...
cfaye@Delaware
On 11/21/2017 at 5:27 PM, Cpl_Wiggles said:

I'm sorry to hear. I hope you feel better.

One thing that I did was make a simple instruction guide with pictures on doing a water change/feeding - that way if I was gone for a time someone without knowledge could hold things down.

I hope you say in the hobby. Maybe keep a couple of "emeregency gallons" of ready-made salt water around. Keep with something simple that you enjoy. 

I hope the worst is behind you and you are recovering well!

Good to see you always. Thank you for the idea of leaving instructions for caring for tanks, the illness was very sudden, I am hanging in there. The problem is the instructions I wrote sounds so confusing and I also took pictures. I'm still looking for ways to make the instructions more simple.....thanks again as always and I hope all is well with you !

On 11/23/2017 at 3:33 AM, Lula_Mae said:

So sorry to hear about this!  Hope you can save some of the plants, and I really hope you're recovering well, as Cpl_Wiggles said.

Thank you for stopping by, doing ok......as of this post some of the plants are hanging in there......

Right at this moment:

C. Barbata-Hanging in there

Red Graciliara (small piece)-Hanging in there

Cladophora-Doing ok

Green Star Polps-Not sure ?

From 3g-Only large hermit crab ( Mr. Round )

In the last couple of days I felt sorry for the large hermit crab so I got him a friend a hermit just a bit smaller and picked up a nice small frag of yellow button polyps. Everything so far hanging in there. 11/26/17 Nitrate was 0-5.0 ppm. What ever I put in jar will have to hold up against the hermit crabs. It is now too cold to have livestock shipped in so will be visiting the LFS. Oh yes I did 

( noobie ) I got a free 10g and a few other things during Petco tank sale with my rewards. It is dry, it is in a bad location in the sun room, too many windows and very cold. Right now it has the rock and frags from the 3g, the frags have a certain deco to them, some have special formations. The rock from the rock tank out in garden. The rest in rose garden. I miss the 3g. 

Right now fighting bryopsis/turf algae. Treating with Maracyn it has erythromycin, just started treatments, will have to update. Plus cleaning rocks, sand bed, water changes. Have done no total black outs using the black trash bag method. I'm still on the hunt for Vibrant (spelling, might stress plants, might cause drop in Nitrates) and Fluconazole (spelling)

I also read that if you get a lot of foam in the water you could soak it up with a paper towel, it has done ok for me, just don't let the towel fall apart. I guess for now things are just things that happen in salt water, forever changing.

Cyano/diatoms, gone, not returned. Possibly due to the huge shock the jar went thru ( keeping fingers crossed). 

• cfaye@Delaware changed the title to 3g Cube, 5g Marineland....Now What ????
cfaye@Delaware

Merry Christmas

Happy Holidays                                                                                    

5a3a2f872587c_ChristmasJar.thumb.jpg.f6e1d0d719b494b700aadf1e6cb8a6a0.jpg

5a3a3002428c3_DecUpdate.thumb.jpg.93d980205da3efc5437b128200cc91c8.jpg

Happy Holidays From Me And The Bins

5a3a2fcc4b02e_ChristmasBins.thumb.jpg.1ae920319b309baf12c2069eac70d1b4.jpg

December update: At this moment things seem ok, everything is hanging in there. The Green Star Polps, whatever it is doing is real slow, very tiny piece left with teeny tiny heads. For the bryopsis/turf algae or whatever this stuff is, it is still there but not growing as fast or spreading, possibly dying off because slowly turning sort of grey. I used just plain Maracyn, nothing added on in the name, they make several different kinds. I know I under dosed big time but I was not 100% sure, I treated for 5 days w/ no black outs. I think it did help, also I did water changes and cleaned everything with a soft tooth brush during treatments. I did 50% water changes. Now I'm back to 75% water changes about every 4 days + -

Peroxide, that stuff is like acid, my rock is loaded with holes, like a sponge. I have quite a few small feather dusters. 35% peroxide is dangerous IMO, if I used it, it would be 3%......Right now peroxide is one of the last resorts I would use. Still on the hunt for Vibrant and fluconazole. So have used erythromycin for one treatment. I have been reading a few comments by brandon 429, thinking, hmmm.....I wonder, only if......

Now enters the Noob:

What is it about saltwater....The challenge....adventure.....weirdness.....horror........possible beautiful 

outcome ????

So ok, like I got the free 10g Aqueon and Petco has a real nice stand for it.....Looking at Marineland, has about the same sand bed size as the 3g......Oh, oh.....!!!! Looking at supplies.....Help.....LOL......

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
Added Info
  • Like 1
59 minutes ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Merry Christmas

Happy Holidays                                                                                    

5a3a2f872587c_ChristmasJar.thumb.jpg.f6e1d0d719b494b700aadf1e6cb8a6a0.jpg

5a3a3002428c3_DecUpdate.thumb.jpg.93d980205da3efc5437b128200cc91c8.jpg

Happy Holidays From Me And The Bins

5a3a2fcc4b02e_ChristmasBins.thumb.jpg.1ae920319b309baf12c2069eac70d1b4.jpg

Cute tree!  Happy holidays to you and yours too.  Bin cover is very Christmassy!

• Thanks 1
cfaye@Delaware
4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Cute tree!  Happy holidays to you and yours too.  Bin cover is very Christmassy!

Hey.....good to see you.....Sending Hugs and many Blessings......

Thanks for dropping in.....

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
cfaye@Delaware

HAPPY REEFING !!!

New-Year-photos-HD.jpg.b029d1a00db00165705865c51f68277c.jpg

January Update..... Already the struggle is real....LOL !!! The jar went thru changes, the jar eating algae drove me insane. I woke up one morning and everything was covered in green fuzz, I went nuts, took out everything. Put the last of the live rock out in the garage to dry out and added new sand, cleaned off what I had left. The very small piece of GSP is gone. Still hanging in there is Red Graciliara, Cladophora. In cleaning the rubble off which I did keep, I found a couple of what looks like wild Dendros (spelling) and Feather Dusters.....So I'm hopeful. Oh yes the yellow Poly still ok...... Also a while back I picked up a small frag of GSP..... Still hanging in there..... Too cold to order anything online so I had a small lunch tote, and will be traveling further from home on the hunt for coral and plants. On a very, very, sad note.....the crabs passed. I had read on here a while back that some small tanks will not support inverts, mine is one. So I'm the clean up crew ( CUC )...... Still not sure about the 5g or 10g, the jar keeps me busy 

( the right amount ). The pest algae is a ruff thing to deal with. Also found a backup battery at Walmart in the electronic Department and now have the Inkbird, so working on those things. 

Jan. Jar Update.jpg

Jan. Update.jpg

• 1 month later...
cfaye@Delaware

February Update :

5a97716edc928_Feb.JarUpdate.thumb.jpg.83183508bc33284383a5f85181b07163.jpg

5a97722ca2dd8_Feb.JarUpdate2.thumb.jpg.f15d2b5fc5d84eefafd07f7f3c1da419.jpg

I will be back in a bit with more up dates. I'm moving a bit closer to the beach, the jar is hanging in there such as it is. The only safe place in the house is where the jar is, the rest of the house is maddening......

• Like 1