Innovative Marine Aquariums

3g Cube, 5g Marineland....Now What ????

cfaye@Delaware

cfaye@Delaware

8/30/17 PM 

All tanks ok ....... I think ??

It has gotten cooler where I live so I have started up the heater for the 3g Tetra. I wanted to do this when I would be home for 24 hrs. I don't put my heaters in the back compartment of the filter and I want to be able to see what the heater is doing. I use a digital thermometer and check my temps often. I don't like preset heaters. When I first start working with the heaters, I let it sit in the tank off and unplugged for a couple of hours to check for cracks or leaks and to get the heater used to the temp changes. I will set it in the beginning at 77 degree, then slowly bring to 78 degree. 

Now comes another problem, coral placement, flow, light and some coral are semi-aggressive. My head hurts......

Nothing can be close to the heater, so right now some coral are pissed, some ok. Now I have a warm house in summer and in winter the house will be 68-70 degree. So working on one of those car battery chargers that will run electric also. So far as of this post things seem to be ok, snail in rock tank ok. 

Still reading the member's thread who used the same rock, also read that it can take up to 2 months to cycle this rock. Yeah, I must have been nuts to order it !!!! Nothing is wrong with the rock, it's just me.......

• Like 2
3 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

8/30/17 PM 

All tanks ok ....... I think ??

It has gotten cooler where I live so I have started up the heater for the 3g Tetra. I wanted to do this when I would be home for 24 hrs. I don't put my heaters in the back compartment of the filter and I want to be able to see what the heater is doing. I use a digital thermometer and check my temps often. I don't like preset heaters. When I first start working with the heaters, I let it sit in the tank off and unplugged for a couple of hours to check for cracks or leaks and to get the heater used to the temp changes. I will set it in the beginning at 77 degree, then slowly bring to 78 degree. 

Now comes another problem, coral placement, flow, light and some coral are semi-aggressive. My head hurts......

Nothing can be close to the heater, so right now some coral are pissed, some ok. Now I have a warm house in summer and in winter the house will be 68-70 degree. So working on one of those car battery chargers that will run electric also. So far as of this post things seem to be ok, snail in rock tank ok. 

Still reading the member's thread who used the same rock, also read that it can take up to 2 months to cycle this rock. Yeah, I must have been nuts to order it !!!! Nothing is wrong with the rock, it's just me.......

You're doing fine, and it doesn't typically take 2 months. 

• Like 2
cfaye@Delaware

9/4/17 PM All Tanks ok.......

Live rock tank, snail ok. I saw my first sight of life either some kind of marine worm or fire worm so I will be watching the snail shell. It was very small. 

3g Tetra main tank hanging in there. So far nothing major yet, having some problems with the LFS no ID coral. I think I read that these things can choke if they eat a large piece of food, the largest poly is always grabbing something, this time a piece of frozen, now right where it's mouth is white rest seem ok, this has been couple of days now. The other coral that is a problem is the War Favia, it has gotten a little darker and has lost some of it's green color areas. it is red and green. I'm guessing from all the moving round it is stressing. All the rest of the corals doing ok. The Bam Bams have a new head coming in, so I'm happy about that. 

Did a little shopping, I have my supplies to mount my frags on to rock. My plastic bin to store equipment in when company comes and most of all my new filter the aquaclear 20. I love that thing. I want to thank the members of NR who helped me to set it up in my beginners thread. And here also. Now the large piece of live rock I had left from breaking it up, all I wanted were pieces that had coralline algae on it. I'm letting it dry out, which will take forever. I want to make some kind of a display or rock garden ( indoor ). 

Now I'm wondering about API test kits, esp. nitrate & phosphate. My LFS sells them,  for Salifert I will have to wait a bit longer. Research........

Need to put crab shells in tank.

• 2 weeks later...
cfaye@Delaware

9/14/17 AM

All tanks seem ok.......fingerscrossed

0912170119.thumb.jpg.3955917973ca82db391dbb09ad339c57.jpg

0912170119a.thumb.jpg.258dd7cd6cc0671c92c4b089af7f897c.jpg

0912170618.thumb.jpg.a5dcf6424c2b26597ddc50aa93b8593b.jpg

Goodness, hard time posting pictures....... :)

Things have been going pretty good. Everything is hanging in there pretty much. The pictures are some things I have been working on since I have been gone last few days. I hope in the next 2 weeks is to put my frags on rocks, I need googles and I have gloves. Also I have started a reef jar with the help of a member here. It will hold marine plants and snails, no crabs !!!!! Since this is a new jar the member suggested to take old sand from the 3g tetra and tank water. Also to use 3g water at water change time. I also tried out the CaribSea Aragonite Live Black sand Don't like it too course, big pieces. I'm trying to find a sand for the Marineland, I would like to have a shrimp, goby pair and they like to dig. For any new tank I start I like to run a few days plus cycle time before I add livestock, I hope to avoid the new tank problem. 

9/12/17 Tiny crab molted.

9/13/17 Big crab molted.

Fish and snail ok

All coral ok and hanging in there.

Oh, added some of the live rock to the jar.

All of these tanks are holding tanks for the marineland, will be using the stock from these tanks for the 5g. 

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
  • Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

9/19/17 AM...... All tanks seem ok

Lets start from newest to oldest:

Plant Jar :  9/16/17.....Plants came in afternoon, ordered from a member here.

C.Barbata.....green plant, looks like pasta with feathers on tip.

Cladophora.....looks like green patch of grass also like a Marino Moss Ball ( FW ). I will try to shape in a ball, will take a long time to do, several days, shape and rest.

Grape Caulerpa......Kind of sort of lime green with grapes on the tips, like branches with bubbles. This one is tricky, have to watch it, maybe came in sort of pale in an area, hard to tell because of light. All of these plants so far take low to medium light with flow. Had to do slight trimming on this plant, had some dead spots. Watching this one.

Red Graciliara......nice red color, string looking type plant, is tied to rock.

4 awesome looking snails......

And Special Mud !!!! ( nasty ) 

Everything is so far is hanging in there and colors are looking better. What I have done so far with the mud is took like a pin drop of it , mixed it with tank water and dosed the tank. Will start water changes back up. 

Ok, like I'm total noob when it comes to marine plants, ( SW ) most of them never seen or heard of. Not a lone care for but this thread has been very helpful and is what got me interested in marine plants.

0916172218a.thumb.jpg.cd615c912e0a8f1eac04e8c439bab04a.jpg

This picture is taken about 6 + hours after being in jar. As of 9/19/17 AM the plants have colored up nicely.

More updates to come.......

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added photos
cfaye@Delaware

9/19/17 Am....... update continue :

Live rock tank ok, 9/16/17 tank is now getting more light. I had to move the light around because I felt the plant jar was getting too much, see how that goes. Snail ok. Nothing exciting in tank as far as hitch hikers, maybe a blessing, dangerous things out there. Color of the coralline algae looks good. Feeding tank coral food, frozen fish food, algae wafers and seaweed strips on a clip. Ok, something is eating this stuff, might be snail ???  :huh:  Also lots of water changes.

3g Main tank ok........

Hot mess......Mr. Fish ok.

Problem,  crabs, the only things growing at a massive rate. Ok, Mr. Round every bodies friend is now the boss. Started out cute and friendly, no more, he is huge and eating everything, no corals yet but I'm guessing, give it time. At the last molt, changed shells and dragging the F*^king thing over everything, the shell is almost 2 inches. So I'm trying to hurry to put frags on rock, might help......NOT !!!!! 

Corals still alive......that is all !!!! Small crab hermit just trying to make it, emerald crab ok. 

Regular tank chores on all tanks, I'm in all tanks at least once a day. Things are starting to slow down so some tanks twice a day. All tanks at 1.024. All tanks at 78 degrees. 

Using Coral Compulsion par 30 Reef Vibrance on all tanks with stand holding bulb. In a bit I will try to list my tanks food list to have in one place, starting to run low. 

• Like 1
On 9/19/2017 at 12:41 PM, cfaye@Delaware said:

9/19/17 Am....... update continue :

Live rock tank ok, 9/16/17 tank is now getting more light. I had to move the light around because I felt the plant jar was getting too much, see how that goes. Snail ok. Nothing exciting in tank as far as hitch hikers, maybe a blessing, dangerous things out there. Color of the coralline algae looks good. Feeding tank coral food, frozen fish food, algae wafers and seaweed strips on a clip. Ok, something is eating this stuff, might be snail ???  :huh:  Also lots of water changes.

3g Main tank ok........

Hot mess......Mr. Fish ok.

Problem,  crabs, the only things growing at a massive rate. Ok, Mr. Round every bodies friend is now the boss. Started out cute and friendly, no more, he is huge and eating everything, no corals yet but I'm guessing, give it time. At the last molt, changed shells and dragging the F*^king thing over everything, the shell is almost 2 inches. So I'm trying to hurry to put frags on rock, might help......NOT !!!!! 

Corals still alive......that is all !!!! Small crab hermit just trying to make it, emerald crab ok. 

Regular tank chores on all tanks, I'm in all tanks at least once a day. Things are starting to slow down so some tanks twice a day. All tanks at 1.024. All tanks at 78 degrees. 

Using Coral Compulsion par 30 Reef Vibrance on all tanks with stand holding bulb. In a bit I will try to list my tanks food list to have in one place, starting to run low. 

If the crab is outgrowing the tank, see if you can take him to the LFS and maybe trade for a small one if you want.

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

9/23/17 PM All Tanks NOT Ok.........

On 9/20/17 ......I lost all of my snails in my plant jar, I'm very upset and very, very, angry with myself. Went to LFS and got the API test kit, I can no longer do this blindly. The plants are hanging in there. I have the nitrate test kit, 

59c7792276d1b_Tankplant.thumb.jpg.50abf86cec02f2997632cdabcba11c02.jpg 

0922170418.thumb.jpg.8591c53c4aba86c1f5a0b0d75da63066.jpg

59c7796087784_TankTest3g.thumb.jpg.243dab37d6b3da093d769c8a10d8f6f1.jpg

I had been reading that high nitrates can be very harmful to inverts over a period of time and fish. I was also reading that with high nitrates lots of other parameters are off.

As of this post the snail in the rock tank is ok and everything in the 3g is hanging in there. As far as the 3g I have cut back on feeding but not Mr. Fish food he is in good weight. Cut back on crab food, watching them and coral. Also cut back on coral food, watching coral......

I don't have a clue.......

Dazed And Confused In Delaware      :wacko:

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

If the crab is outgrowing the tank, see if you can take him to the LFS and maybe trade for a small one if you want.

Hi, good to see you and thanks for stopping by. Nope !!!! Been to 2 LFS nope don't want him......I'm trying to think of something. Maybe put him up for adoption in the forum, free no shipping cost, just take him.....problem, never shipped before, not sure how to do it. I have boxes, ice packs, no fish bags. Packing supplies. I have seen it done but never done it my self. Oh well......

3 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

9/23/17 PM All Tanks NOT Ok.........

On 9/20/17 ......I lost all of my snails in my plant jar, I'm very upset and very, very, angry with myself. Went to LFS and got the API test kit, I can no longer do this blindly. The plants are hanging in there. I have the nitrate test kit, 

59c7792276d1b_Tankplant.thumb.jpg.50abf86cec02f2997632cdabcba11c02.jpg 

0922170418.thumb.jpg.8591c53c4aba86c1f5a0b0d75da63066.jpg

59c7796087784_TankTest3g.thumb.jpg.243dab37d6b3da093d769c8a10d8f6f1.jpg

I had been reading that high nitrates can be very harmful to inverts over a period of time and fish. I was also reading that with high nitrates lots of other parameters are off.

As of this post the snail in the rock tank is ok and everything in the 3g is hanging in there. As far as the 3g I have cut back on feeding but not Mr. Fish food he is in good weight. Cut back on crab food, watching them and coral. Also cut back on coral food, watching coral......

I don't have a clue.......

Dazed And Confused In Delaware      :wacko:

Hi, good to see you and thanks for stopping by. Nope !!!! Been to 2 LFS nope don't want him......I'm trying to think of something. Maybe put him up for adoption in the forum, free no shipping cost, just take him.....problem, never shipped before, not sure how to do it. I have boxes, ice packs, no fish bags. Packing supplies. I have seen it done but never done it my self. Oh well......

Plants actually like some nitrates, the level of nitrates you have in the 3g Tetra is about where they like it. 

Not sure what to think as far as the snails, I may be able to send a couple more. 

How is the Grape Caulerpa looking?

For shipping, you can use the same packaging that I shipped to you in, all you would need is some bags. 

For bags, go to the LFS and ask if you can buy a few of their bags, I've done that before. 

You saw how little water is needed in what I sent to you. 

• Thanks 1
cfaye@Delaware

9/25/17 AM ....... All Tanks ok I hope ??? 

I think my main concern is what is going on with the plant jar.

I will have to go back thru my paper work. My plant jar was wet about a week and a half or more before the plants and snails came in. Using brand new sand, sand from 3g tetra and live rock rubble from the rock tank. Using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, which I use in all tanks. Since the jar was set up I was doing water changes about every 2-3 days about 25% in a possible 2 1/2 g jar. On the 9/16/17, plants came in, snails and mud. Acclimated plants and snails about 45 mins. in bag method. I will have to go back and check, I think started adding mud, very tiny amounts about the 9/17/19 PM. Did a water change on 9/15/17. I did a very small water change on 9/19/17 less than 25%. On 9/20/17 lost all snails......

I'm thinking about a lot of things.

Cycling......

water changes.....

mud.......

parameters.......

And A Host Of Other Stuff......

Salt water ain't nothing like fresh water to me...... too much going on........

Did Salifert Ammonia Test on jar to day......

59c96b80b19ad_PlantAmmonia.thumb.jpg.b0219b8fbc0dd85dcde07e4130f83002.jpg

On 9/24/2017 at 9:30 AM, Weetabix7 said:

Plants actually like some nitrates, the level of nitrates you have in the 3g Tetra is about where they like it. 

Not sure what to think as far as the snails, I may be able to send a couple more. 

How is the Grape Caulerpa looking?

For shipping, you can use the same packaging that I shipped to you in, all you would need is some bags. 

For bags, go to the LFS and ask if you can buy a few of their bags, I've done that before. 

You saw how little water is needed in what I sent to you. 

Thank you so much for dropping in, very nice to see you......

The Grape Caulerpa is stable, not getting any worse, the other plants are hanging in there. 

I'm glad the 3g might be ok as far as nitrates go, I do need to feed fish and crabs. I think I will feed coral twice a week. 

I want to thank you for offering to send more snails but holding off until I can find out what is wrong with jar or what I did wrong. 

Live Rock Tank......Since I cut way back on feeding, I now have pods and one tiny patch of GHA on tank wall. Maybe cycle finished or what ???? Snail ok, poor snail been thru a lot !!! 

3g Tetra ok as of this post......I have my fish bags all I need to do is make up my mind. I really like the little guy ( huge hermit ) !!!!!

The nitrates may be reading 0 in the plant jar because the plants are using the available nitrates that are in the tank. 

The other 2 tanks have fairly high nitrates, most likely due to possible over feeding.

Coral food really only needs to be done 2 times a week at most when there is a fish in the tank. If you have only soft corals, I wouldn't even add coral food.

Crabs and snails don't need to be fed when you have a fish, they eat the left over food that the fish doesn't catch.

• Thanks 1

Hi. Read through your whole journal on my way to work today. I remember when I first had a explosion of copepods, it was off putting for sure but from everything I read online I knew it was a good sign. My population in my Pico has risen and fallen over the last 10 months or so. You're getting some great advice here. I'm jealous of your mushrooms, I can't find them locally to me, I may have to resort to order online. Good luck, hope everything continues to go well. 

• Thanks 1
cfaye@Delaware

9/27/17 PM......All tanks seem to be ok.......

Plant jar hanging in there still no changes in looks of plants and still wondering what happened to my snails, I have been looking around NR for a possible cause, it could be almost anything, take your pick......

Rock Tank.....snail ok, pods ok...... working on the high nitrates in the tank by cutting back on feeding, plus the normal water changes. Will test again next week.

3g Tetra......hanging in there. The War Favia is doing very well, color green is coming back slowly, it lost some color I think because of high nitrates, will test again next week....

Fish and crabs ok.....corals doing ok......Will feed corals twice a week, about every 3-4 days. Still trying to work out something for the huge crab and also what to do about the snail in the rock tank once I break it down........another tank possibly (noob !!!! Talking !!! )  :wacko:

Both the huge hermit and snail have been very helpful......

On 9/25/2017 at 9:04 PM, Clown79 said:

The nitrates may be reading 0 in the plant jar because the plants are using the available nitrates that are in the tank. 

The other 2 tanks have fairly high nitrates, most likely due to possible over feeding.

Coral food really only needs to be done 2 times a week at most when there is a fish in the tank. If you have only soft corals, I wouldn't even add coral food.

Crabs and snails don't need to be fed when you have a fish, they eat the left over food that the fish doesn't catch.

Good to see you and thank you for coming, yes you are right as all ways, esp. with the newbie or noob things I do. I try to hang on to every word. As far as 3g nitrates test, that is most likely a base line for a marine plant tank or jar, I think SW plants sort of like high nitrates. There are no plants in 3g so I will bring the nitrates down some. All along everyone has told me I over feed. 

On 9/26/2017 at 2:19 PM, SavaS said:

Hi. Read through your whole journal on my way to work today. I remember when I first had a explosion of copepods, it was off putting for sure but from everything I read online I knew it was a good sign. My population in my Pico has risen and fallen over the last 10 months or so. You're getting some great advice here. I'm jealous of your mushrooms, I can't find them locally to me, I may have to resort to order online. Good luck, hope everything continues to go well. 

Thank you for stopping by, I'm always glad to see a new visit. Goodness, I hope the read was ok and might be somewhat helpful, maybe. Yes the evil pod attack was horrific, I still have nightmares.....LOL  and other things like breaking up live uncured rock......this hobby is not for the weak, for me at least. 

The members on here are awesome, the info on here is historic.......

Mushrooms are an excellent beginner coral, they were my first coral ever, and now they are coming out with some beautiful looking ones......Wow thank you for the comment on my mushrooms, after looking at your tank that is a huge one......thanks again. There are many good places to buy coral listed on NR.......

Oh and thanks for wishing me luck I need a boat load......... :)

Have faith! Just a bump in the road! Control feeding, make sure you're doing your water changes - I got the suggestion recently that a bigger, less frequent water change can be more beneficial than smaller frequent changes. One allows a balance/equilibrium to happen, one doesn't.

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

10/5/17 Early AM

All Tanks Ok.....well sort of I guess ???

Plant jar right now is my main concern, I think the Grape Caulerpa is not going to make it but everything else is hanging in there. The Cladophora might have a little growth. Now from what I could read and understand some SW plants will break off and continue to live and this is what the Grape Caulerpa has done so I'm watching these pieces. So far the one large piece that broke off is hanging in there and I'm still dosing the mud, tiny amount mixed in tank water.  Water changes and no snails in tank yet, will possibly test for nitrates in a couple of days. Also I'm thinking I should have set up my substrate well before I added plants and let tank run a few days.........

Rock Tank ok, snail ok, saw a few pods, nothing else. Coralline algae doing ok.........will test nitrates later........

3g Main tank, well sort of ok......Problem, crabs again. Ok, the tiny hermit I talk about, well he is now second in command, he changed shells and has also gotten huge. Emerald the crab is lost, I hope he is ok because he is off of the rock a lot more and looks like the hermits have taken over. The rock has a hole in it and that is or was Emeralds home. Mr Fish hanging in there, I don't know too much what he does, he hides when I come and when I do see him he looks ok so far. I still do my 2 hr checks, I'm old and run to the bath room about every 2 hr. Do my tanks checks, too much info.......The coral hanging in there so far and the Favia coming along nicely........

As far as gluing frags to rock using the Dremel Tool, fair warning, it does not come out of the box and ready to go. The one I have you have to buy a Collet Nut Kit and this thing looks dangerous..... Oh Lawdie........ So that was the hold up, I had free time but no tool and still not sure if the parts will work, need to wait for free time again......stupid tool......

Now for the new contest, this to me is going to be some amazing reading. I do like the smaller tanks because of limited space, and plus looks like they are going bare bones, old school, and all info is current, happening now. Prizes are out of this realm.......Thank You, Love You sponsors !!!!!

I wish I could do it but I ran out of extra time, I'm not a good multi-tasker.......I will be watching, following and playing along for the experience with the plant jar.....

Good Luck To Everyone !!!!!

Happy Reefing !!!!!

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
Added Info
cfaye@Delaware

10/9/17 PM......

Plant Jar: The Grape Green Caulerpa did not make it........The other plants seem to be doing ok.  10/8/17: I took the remaining plants out of the jar and put them in the 3g, so far they seem to be doing ok, I wanted to work on the substrate. So while this is going on, let me see what youtube has cooking on macro-algae, found a few things, one was again crabs, they might eat the algae and also some snails......Oh !!!! Snap !!!! Crap !!!!! Now most of the things I watch should be on my youtube channel.......

Now since all things are out of jar, I'm also thinking about adding a larger piece of live rock from the rock tank, all I have are a few pieces of live rubble. Now for my unofficial entry in the contest, which I will post in this thread to keep everything in one place, I would like to try a macro-algae and coral jar......critters unknown still. Now a member here suggested using fertilizer, but be careful on what you use, some have copper in them I think and that is harmful to inverts I think......

Rock Tank: Ok I think, might have some kind of deadly algae growing on rocks kind of a orange color, I wanted to add some of the rock to the jar, now I have to think about it.....

Snail ok, pods ok.....rock is rock......

3g Main Tank: Ok.....The tank is loaded, plants and all. Crabs are happy esp. with the plants, snack time I guess !!! Hermits molted 10/9/17.......Also looks like I might have Diatoms, from what I have been reading here, only on sand bed near rocks were I feed crabs and fish. So far just cleaning sand bed and rocks once a day also stirring sand bed, cleaning filter, changing water and cut back on the light time.....hours......

Almost forgot my BFF are back the Bristle Worms, I have one too many so working on that again......:rant::rant:!!!!!

Mushrooms.thumb.jpg.8ceda19bc73322c848ec85218dec3032.jpg

Took quick picture of the mushrooms, I think they are doing ok so far. That is Mr. Red who has been with me since the beginning, my indicator and the Red War Favia at the bottom. I added some of the black sand a while back to see how it would look.......Not !!!! It is slowly coming out......And that is a clove I think from LFS a while back.....It has grown a couple of heads......

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
Added Photo
cfaye@Delaware

Food List For Tanks:

Omega One Color Mini Pellets ( slow sinking )

Nano Reef-Roids ( Polyp Lab )

Omega One Small Pellets w/ Garlic ( marine ) 

Coral Frenzy

Tetra Color Plus Tropical Flakes 

Hikari Algae Wafers ( sinking ) 

San Francisco Bay Seaweed Salad Green Marine Algae

Seachem Reef Zoo Plankton

Nano V "Soft Freeze" Reef & Coral Combo 

San Francisco Bay Brand;

Frozen Marine Cuisine For All Saltwater Carnivores 

Saltwater Multi-Pack ( frozen )

Brine Shrimp ( frozen ) 

On 7/6/2017 at 9:46 AM, cfaye@Delaware said:

7/6/17 AM

Tank Not Ok !!!!

In broad daylight lights on, my multi-combo frag of mushrooms was covered with pods. During one of my 2hr. checks I found this mess, not happy. I have nothing, no dips, QT tank, frag rack nothing, not even peroxide. I took my tweezers and chased them off, the mushroom did get a little better. The frag that it is on has like a little cave on it, I saw a huge pod in the cave.....Ok, I went nuts, I mean nuts. Trying to figure out what to do it happened so fast, I mean the frag was full of them. I had a glass bowl and put distilled water in it and put frag in that and washed it around, sort of hard. I only washed for about a minute or so, the pods fell off. I saw maybe about 8. Ok, mushrooms were acting a little strange as in maybe pissed a little. They looked ok, eating. I thought, stressed because of so many changes. Now what happened was horrible, never seen that before, like horror movie. Yeah I been reading about them pods. Now I don't know if the frag will make it after the wash, I had no place to put it but back in the tank. I found a small plastic container and covered it with that. Now you all be talk'en about them bristle worms and pods. You all better be careful, I think there is something about parasites that can pretend to be harmless but are not, read that some where, they have a special name for that. I guess you could search parasites. esp. Marine. Now something else to worry about, what about the marineland......ain't taken this crap in the 5g. Oh yeah been read'en about them spiders too. This is crazy. To have million dollar tanks go out this way esp. the nano's. Over thinking, Yep, got that right. I am so angry. Now I am thinking and searching on how to nuke the tank without killing every single thing. Don't want to take rock out or sand.....nothing leaves the tank......every thing in tank. Please forgive me, I am burning HOT !!!!!

I found that in time if you stop feeding and do waterchanges 2x week, the population dies down in a few weeks.  Seems to be my case anyway. Starve them out.

cfaye@Delaware

10/13/17 AM ......... As of this post all tanks seem ok......

Quick update.......I will be back in a bit......

Plant jar: 10/10/17......There are no plants in jar. I added more mud and covered it with the black sand. I tried to find the safest looking live rock from the rock tank and added. The rock weights about a pound and one half. I guess this will cause me once again to start a soft cycle, the second one for this jar. 

10/12/17 The new heater for the jar came in and some temp probes so I started up the heater. I was off work which was good so I had time to watch it. The heater had a some what good rating on Amazon, It is a temperature control heater, you set the temp and it will go off and on by it's self, you still need to watch it.....Problem......It has no markings on the temp control settings just + - and arrows......Problem.....in the description of it it says 6 inches long.....NOT......it is 7 1/2 it will fit the plant jar......just made it......Problem.......you can not lay it flat in the container, it has to be only straight up and down, it is submersible.......Why did I get it, I like to see my heaters when I use them and I'm going for an industrial look for the plant jar.......LOL.......

Heater.thumb.jpg.e86f452bb318903f355aa8cc5ac3c719.jpg

1012170725.thumb.jpg.f9bab9661770cfd4234a10b24506f2ae.jpg

This is my favorite room thermometer, it's got bells and whistles, it sits on kitchen table where I spend most of my time........

59e0dd94c668b_RoomThemometer.thumb.jpg.0737e05997308ee76cb2117660904f38.jpg

So I will be back in a bit, with a bit more.........

cfaye@Delaware

On 9/28/2017 at 11:31 AM, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Have faith! Just a bump in the road! Control feeding, make sure you're doing your water changes - I got the suggestion recently that a bigger, less frequent water change can be more beneficial than smaller frequent changes. One allows a balance/equilibrium to happen, one doesn't.

Thank you so much for stopping by, always good to see you and I hope all is well with you and the tank.......Yeah !!!! them bumps, ( Potholes ), I need new tires, shocks and brakes !!!!!

fingerscrossed

@MarieH

Hi, nice to see you and thanks for dropping in, sorry it took me so long to respond to your comment. I had to think hard about what to say. I'm still very upset about the evil pod attack and if you read the whole incident you would understand why. It is a very touchy and sore spot for me. I'm very thankful and Blessed that the members helped me.......

I also read thru your tank journal and made a comment a while back and I'm glad and thankful your tank is doing ok........

I don't mean to be rude, this is a very sore spot for me.......Here we go........B)

I'm a newbie ( noob ) please explain to me how to starve them out ??? I have corals and three crabs......I'm very sorry that I did not whip out the old cell phone and video the evil pod attack as proof that they were eating the coral.....BTW the frag did survive, the corals on the frag are still very small, but as of this post they are a live........It is very hard to watch a living thing struggle and slowly die.......yes it struggled I would say, y'all call it irritated, closed up......NOT......it was slowly disappearing......YES !!!!! Once again, nothing was wrong with the frag. I read that maybe if the mouth of the coral lived maybe the coral will live.......

Now please keep in mind this is my tank and what happened in MY tank !!!!!

I have good pods now, poor pods everybody eats them, I even have a pod garden in the tank, so I can grow more......I have seen no evil pods as of this post and I'm thankful......

Once again, because I'm new to salt water and you look like a long time member how do I starve them out.......if you can help me so I will know better next time........

I think she's echoing the sentiment that there may be some overfeeding going on. Think like racoons raiding a dumpster at a restaurant for thrown out food. 

Marine life is extremely hardy and dosent expect to eat all the time. In their ecosystem food isn't always available. That's why there is a balance to what the ecosystem can support. Feed just the right amount, then pods stay manageable and water parameters stay good. 

• Thanks 1
cfaye@Delaware

5 minutes ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

I think she's echoing the sentiment that there may be some overfeeding going on. Think like racoons raiding a dumpster at a restaurant for thrown out food. 

Marine life is extremely hardy and dosent expect to eat all the time. In their ecosystem food isn't always available. That's why there is a balance to what the ecosystem can support. Feed just the right amount, then pods stay manageable and water parameters stay good. 

Yes, you are very correct. I now as you can see have a nitrate test kit and have been working on the heavy feeding problem, but I feel bad when every thing comes stampeding to the feeding spot at feeding time and the coral little mouths are wide open, before it was, just calmly stroll in or just no rush, I'm ok.......This is for real......

As for water changes, your tank is a bit bigger than mine and I feel like I should do more because mine is so small and nitrates and such will build up much quicker, plus I'm working on the heavy feeding problem and water changes might help......I try to do them once or twice a week. With the Diatoms I might have I'm cleaning the sand bed once a day and that is almost like a water change. In such a small tank to clean sand, I take out a bit of water.......

Raccoons......tasty......slow cooker, lots of seasoning.........veggies.....your choice......cook until tender.......can soak meat over night in frig. with spices to get out the wild game taste.......

serve over rice of your choice add a salad and corn bread, drink, your choice......seasoning, your choice......spice your choice......make sure your liquid, your choice you use in the cooker is always present, don't let it dry out........

cfaye@Delaware
5 hours ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Today is Friday 13th......lets discuss evil pods a bit more......

How to starve evil coral eating pods when you have coral.......

# 1 For me, I was not waiting around to find out.......

# 2 Thanks to a very kind member here, they know who they are, they ID the pods. Also a big shout out to a member that left me a list of pods.....HUGE.....that I will work on this winter.

# 3 Try and find out what you are dealing with, this is so you can possibly do your search......

# 4 Do as soon as possible your research, read, read, and read......view every possible option......

# 5 Ask and beg and cry for help.......review all options, think hard about what your next moves will be ahead of time......as in plan, A, B, C etc......

# 6 Use preventive care.....if possible.....QT, dips, peroxcide  ( can't spell, H2O2 ??? ), fresh water dips and high salt dips......Not too sure about fresh and salt dips......did ok for me on the coral......

# 7 Pray........

# 8 I would have to say......always thank the people that have helped you......And once again I want to thank everyone in my journal for helping me and the wonderful people on Nano-Reef.com......

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
Added Info
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but using a long eye dropper/pipette to spot feed the corals and critters can reduce waste, mix a bit of your choice of food in a cup with a bit of tank water, turn off pumps and using the dropper/pipette squeeze a bit of food into the mouth of your corals and critters, each should readily grab it. Hope this helps in some way. 

• Thanks 1
  • cfaye@Delaware changed the title to 3g Cube, 5g Marineland....Now What ????