Top Shelf Aquatics

3g Cube, 5g Marineland....Now What ????

cfaye@Delaware

4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

What fish did you order?

You shouldn't need to feed a small tank with just inverts that much that you need to clean the sand that much.

Every other day and tiny amounts is enough.

Yep, this. 

cfaye@Delaware

Tank Ok.....

Hi everybody, thanks for stopping by. Took a break from journal, it got sort of depressing. I have been working on a few things and just cruising the forums. Still battling the WTH ( Evil Pods ), population has not died down, have seen no big ones yet....saw a new thing in tank, sort of a large white worm on the 2 inch mushroom rock, not worried yet, crabs hang out over there. Now as far as crabs, they remind me of children, feed them, give them something to do and just maybe they will not tear stuff up.....LOL

Now I feed a lot because both some of my coral and crabs are meat eaters....I use a very small chopper to chop the food for everybody.....Happy tank Happy Me. Still working on time line, coral have been in for a bout a month. May 1 st started tank with live rock and live sand. Yes I also broadcast feed, I guess you would call this heavy feeding.....with all this going on I will check the ammonia level and stir sand bed and clean up any mess, this is a small tank. When I do feed I will turn off pump for a few minutes then on again. Have been working on the algae on tank wall very slowly, don't want it to get on sand bed, rock or filter, will turn off pump for this also.....pictures will follow in a bit. I also have orange spots on tank wall.....trying to think about what to do about it, might be dangerous.....:unsure:   Hard to get pictures of it.....So any help would be used.....

Yes turkey baster is my friend, use for everything. 

Also been looking into: Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp. I like a variety of foods for my tank.....All of my pets, I have fed different things.....I hate eating the same food after 2 days, switch it up. 

7/17/17 AM  Tank ok.

Target fed tank, changed water. 

7/19/17 PM Tank ok.

Broad cast fed tank.....have been topping off water twice a day.....will check salt levels....at 1.025

Algae on tank wall....I think the little white things you see, are what I call micro animals. They don't show up with the naked eye that well. 

0718170317.thumb.jpg.a7db2fc21bf9001c8bf5ce76c1480330.jpg

If anybody can ID this stuff, I promise I want panic yet......The half circle white thing is all over the rock....I don't think it moves, I think knocked some off chasing WTH. 

Again thanks for the help. 

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
2 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Tank Ok.....

Hi everybody, thanks for stopping by. Took a break from journal, it got sort of depressing. I have been working on a few things and just cruising the forums. Still battling the WTH ( Evil Pods ), population has not died down, have seen no big ones yet....saw a new thing in tank, sort of a large white worm on the 2 inch mushroom rock, not worried yet, crabs hang out over there. Now as far as crabs, they remind me of children, feed them, give them something to do and just maybe they will not tear stuff up.....LOL

Now I feed a lot because both some of my coral and crabs are meat eaters....I use a very small chopper to chop the food for everybody.....Happy tank Happy Me. Still working on time line, coral have been in for a bout a month. May 1 st started tank with live rock and live sand. Yes I also broadcast feed, I guess you would call this heavy feeding.....with all this going on I will check the ammonia level and stir sand bed and clean up any mess, this is a small tank. When I do feed I will turn off pump for a few minutes then on again. Have been working on the algae on tank wall very slowly, don't want it to get on sand bed, rock or filter, will turn off pump for this also.....pictures will follow in a bit. I also have orange spots on tank wall.....trying to think about what to do about it, might be dangerous.....:unsure:   Hard to get pictures of it.....So any help would be used.....

Yes turkey baster is my friend, use for everything. 

Also been looking into: Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp. I like a variety of foods for my tank.....All of my pets, I have fed different things.....I hate eating the same food after 2 days, switch it up. 

7/17/17 AM  Tank ok.

Target fed tank, changed water. 

7/19/17 PM Tank ok.

Broad cast fed tank.....have been topping off water twice a day.....will check salt levels....at 1.025

Algae on tank wall....I think the little white things you see, are what I call micro animals. They don't show up with the naked eye that well. 

0718170317.thumb.jpg.a7db2fc21bf9001c8bf5ce76c1480330.jpg

If anybody can ID this stuff, I promise I want panic yet......The half circle white thing is all over the rock....I don't think it moves, I think knocked some off chasing WTH. 

Again thanks for the help. 

The little half circle white things have a name that I can't remember cause it's early and I haven't Coffee'd yet (yes, Coffee is a verb that should be capitalized), but they're a friendly and harmless type of featherduster worm. 

The orange looking stuff on the glass may be coralline algae, it depends if it's hard or soft. Can you wipe it off the glass if you try or does it stay on there?

The algae in your pic is GHA, green hair algae. 

Yes, it does sound like you are overfeeding, which will lead to the GHA. 

I liked your description of crabs and it may not be far off base. :P

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

Hi, good to see you and have your coffee, I have mine !!!! Now the orange spots on the wall will not come off with a mag-cleaner, looks like have to use a blade. I didn't want to remove it until I could find out what it was and deal with it. Also since the tank is plastic acrylic I need to think of away to remove it. Yes GHA.....lovely......Yes crabs.....yes got to feed them, will tear up stuff.....So if I'm over feeding what lets say, what parameters would be high ( or low ), I try to keep tank clean esp. after feeding.....must be something with water chemistry I can't see.  always thanks for stopping by.....have a wonderful day.....

You're way over feeding. You feed more to crabs and mushrooms than I feed to a fully stocked 15g.

I feed a very small amount of mysis 2 times a week which feeds crabs, shrimp, and 3 fish

I feed pellets the rest of the week.

I broadcast feed the day of waterchange.

With mushroom corals, they don't even need to be fed.

Your inverts should be fed a tiny amount every other day with pellets

They are scavengers and clean up crew. If you have an emerald, they often eat gha.

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware
17 hours ago, Clown79 said:

You're way over feeding. You feed more to crabs and mushrooms than I feed to a fully stocked 15g.

I feed a very small amount of mysis 2 times a week which feeds crabs, shrimp, and 3 fish

I feed pellets the rest of the week.

I broadcast feed the day of waterchange.

With mushroom corals, they don't even need to be fed.

Your inverts should be fed a tiny amount every other day with pellets

They are scavengers and clean up crew. If you have an emerald, they often eat gha.

Hi, good to see you.....hope all is well.....I will make note of your feeding routine. 

I was wondering if you have any pictures of your tank, or a journal, you have been a big help and I would like to see how your tank is doing. Thanks again. 

cfaye@Delaware

7/20/17 AM 

Tank ok....

I was reading thru my journal and found some info I was looking for, the GHA and what ever else I have ( orange spots on wall ) comes from over feeding tank. Phosphate or nitrate build up. So to me this means tank is not starving. Also maybe why the WTH population has not died down. Now I'm not sure, but read some where, what to do if phosphate or nitrate are high, dosing or don't over feed ??? ( Pest Algae ) So will be researching this. 

Still looking for something to help with the WTH ( evil pods ) If it is a fish, maybe something that swims in the water, not stay on the bottom or rocks a lot, I worry about them crabs !!! Like crabs harassing fish.....I'm afraid of shrimp attacking coral.....This is a small 3g tank. Like I have said, I wish I could nuke tank, still doing research on that. Can't dip rock Emerald crab is always on it and you can not pull it off.....he is a good crab, don't want to hurt it. I want to at some point in time to order a very nice piece of coral, like the one in my profile picture before the weather gets cold and put it on the rock, ain't happening now with them WTH on it......that frag of coral ain't cheap. Things can happen, but I want to give the coral a chance. 

With the WTH....no chance.

Depressed in Delaware B) 

The white calcerous spiral worms are spirorbid worms, and harmless (actually helpful) like Weetie said.  The small, teeny pods are not harmful and are a sign of a healthy tank, and yes, overfeeding will lead to pod population explosion as well as GHA and possibly cyano.  I'd second (or third) the suggestion to majorly cut back on the feedings. You cannot nuke the tank and have it be healthy, it's just the way it is; you will always have some copepods so I'd suggest finding a way to make peace with them. :)

• Like 3
Cpl_Wiggles

Everything is a balance in these ecosystems. You adjust slightly and optimize for your personal experience. 

I'm currently going through the same trying to balance out feeding for my scooter blenny. I reduced my daily feeding and then provide one big "broadcast" feed right before a water change. That might help remove a lot of waste. Fish are full and happy and you remove food source for the pod. 

As for a fish, even the presence of something higher on the food chain will make the pods more cautious. I think you won't have to worry about corals. Reduce your feeding and add a fish and your pods will balance out and leave your coral alone. 

After adding my blenny I've only seen one or two pods and only at night - and when I do they duck and run for cover like it's Jurassic Park!

• Like 2

I doubt you have evil pods, the items they feasted on may have been dying or dead flesh. 

We all have pods, most strive to get them because they are part of a healthy eco system.

Without pics of these items, its impossible for us to even speculate. We need pics of the coral.

High nutrients is from over feeding and improper maintenance.

Pico's can be very difficult tanks..a 10g would have been easier to start with. 

Getting an understanding of water chemistry, lighting, feeding, maintenance is all very important.

You need to have a routine. Keep thing simple.

Keep a log with your test results and any major changes.

Start writing down advice ppl give. So you can go back to it when you need it.

Feeding 

- Feed every other day. A tiny bit of pellet food

-1 time a week feed a tiny bit of frozen for a treat

Do you have a filter yet? 

Maintenance 

1. Don't use the sponge that came with the filter. Use filter floss. Buy it in bulk. Cut to size. Change 2-3 times a week.

2. Carbon, add a small amount to a media bag, every week rinse that bag, every 3 weeks empty bag, rinse the bag, refill with new carbon.

3. Every day or every other day, stir the sand bed to remove detritus. This will get things into the water column and into the filter.

You can use purigen in a media bag which helps with water quality.

Phosguard can be used in small qty to reduce phos.

Waterchanges

Set a routine. Have it on a calender

1. scrape algae off glass

2. Blast rocks with a turkey baster 

3. Vacuum the sand bed

Removal of gha

We need nitrate and phosphate test numbers to evaluate the best way to get rid of it

1. Manually remove it. It will spread so scraping it and leaving it will lead to a tank full of gha 

2. Scrape and vacuum out

3. Pulling it off the rock with tweezers

4. Removing rock- scrubbing rock with a toothbrush, rinse in some sw water, dip in a peroxide/water bath, rinse really well in another container of sw. Return to tank (this is the step you take when all else fails)

5. Peroxide spot treat. With syringe carefully apply a small amount of peroxide to the rock where the tufts are. All water movement must be off during this and in a small tank, I'd do it when 50% of water has been removed.

This works for tiny patches but if the rock is covered- you gotta take it out and do a bath.

Getting your nutrients under control. Is the key.

Using a tiny amount of phosguard in the filter will help.

Fish- most of us have crabs and fish. If they are fed, there shouldn't be an issue. When you feed the fish, they get food too.

In a tiny tank- tailspot blenny or clown goby. That's it for 5g and under.

Corals- depending on what light you are using will depend on what you can keep.

My journal needs to be updated but that's the link.

20170621_134540.jpg

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

7/20/17 PM  Tank Ok.....

Thank you everybody for stopping by, good to see you and all of the advice. 

Lula_Mae, peace with evil pods, NEVER......these are not good pods, there was nothing wrong with that frag....no tissue loss, no shrinking for days and days, no nothing. I have seen pictures of both healthy and sick frags, this was not sick at all. I have pictures of the evil pods now, I collected them in a glass bowl, pictures in a bit. Had to dink around with the camera phone to try to get pics. 

Cpl_Wiggles.....good to see you. Yeah !!!! I know about Jurassic Park !!!!

Clown79

Advice well given, will be acting on it. Yes I have a upgraded filter from LFS, I had to dip into the tank budget so the aquaclear is on hold, the filter I have now is ok and you can add things in the back. Pics in a bit. Thanks for the tank link, very impressive tank. Nice job. 

Cleaned up tank, very slowly removed some of the GHA, turned off pump to do this, turned on filter a bit then turned off again, took out tank filter, cleaned pump, put in new filter pack. Turned on pump. This filter is self priming, so if power goes out it will turn on and flow, you do not have to do anything to start it. Also tank chores, check salt level, top off. 

Things would be so peaceful if I did not have WTH.....story of my life.....Oh Well.

0720171332.thumb.jpg.2c0e99d018c42d55172a6826278400b8.jpg

Now the evil pods that attacked frag were huge.....way bigger than these.

These are the same ones that attacked the frag only a whole lot smaller.

The long ones are the ones that attacked frag.

0720172002.thumb.jpg.890188c2858f5a3c0256233dc2b1bf54.jpg

Upgraded filter......

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info

Thank you for the nice comments regarding my tank.

I myself have never had issues with predatory pods. 

The common pod will normally go after decaying/dead matter. If they are starved they may go after coral. This isn't common.

There are species that are predatory to specific corals.

Hyperia galba amphipod predatory to coral tissue

Paramphiascopsis sp. parasitizes from a pocket formed in the tissue of gorgonians

Paramolgus antillianus associated with Ricordea florida

Acontiophorus bracatus ectoparasite of gorgonians, Leptogorgia, Eunicella and Paraerythropodium spp.

Asteropontius corallophilus parasite of Pocillopora, Montipora, Stylophora and Porites spp.

Asteropontius longipalpus associated with Ricordea florida

Asterocheres scutatus parasite of Rhodactis rhodostoma

Lichomologus spp. 6 species parasitic to octocorals, 3 species to fungiids, 7species to octocorals and stony corals, 5 species withPalythoa spp., 2 species with Rhodactis spp., 2 species with Psammocora spp. , 10 species to stony corals.

Acanthomolgus spp. 

Psuedanthessiids spp. 

Rynchomolgids spp. 

Notodelphyids spp.

Paraerythropodium sp.

Xarfia spp. 

the fact is you don't have anything in the tank to eat the pods therefore they will continue to populate in the tank.

I don't see a coral in the tank.

what light are you using? That also may fuel algae issues if it's not in the correct spectrum.

as for the filter. It seems fine to use but I would use custom media not the media designed for it.

filter floss - changed two times a week

carbon in a media bag or even a panty hose rock cut down and knotted (new of course) this offers a smaller option to the media bag. 

your sand is not a deep sand bed. It should be vacuumed.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

7/20/17 PM  Tank Ok.....

Thank you everybody for stopping by, good to see you and all of the advice. 

Lula_Mae, peace with evil pods, NEVER......these are not good pods, there was nothing wrong with that frag....no tissue loss, no shrinking for days and days, no nothing. I have seen pictures of both healthy and sick frags, this was not sick at all. I have pictures of the evil pods now, I collected them in a glass bowl, pictures in a bit. Had to dink around with the camera phone to try to get pics. 

Cpl_Wiggles.....good to see you. Yeah !!!! I know about Jurassic Park !!!!

Clown79

Advice well given, will be acting on it. Yes I have a upgraded filter from LFS, I had to dip into the tank budget so the aquaclear is on hold, the filter I have now is ok and you can add things in the back. Pics in a bit. Thanks for the tank link, very impressive tank. Nice job. 

Cleaned up tank, very slowly removed some of the GHA, turned off pump to do this, turned on filter a bit then turned off again, took out tank filter, cleaned pump, put in new filter pack. Turned on pump. This filter is self priming, so if power goes out it will turn on and flow, you do not have to do anything to start it. Also tank chores, check salt level, top off. 

Things would be so peaceful if I did not have WTH.....story of my life.....Oh Well.

0720171332.thumb.jpg.2c0e99d018c42d55172a6826278400b8.jpg

Now the evil pods that attacked frag were huge.....way bigger than these.

These are the same ones that attacked the frag only a whole lot smaller.

The long ones are the ones that attacked frag.

0720172002.thumb.jpg.890188c2858f5a3c0256233dc2b1bf54.jpg

Upgraded filter......

The long ones are likely amphipods.  There are also teeny ones called copepods that are more common.  Not all tanks have amphipods but basically all saltwater will have some copepods, and they are not harmful.  The amphipods, who knows?  Maybe they were hungry, or maybe there was more going on with the mushroom that couldn't be seen.  We haven't seen a picture of it so we can only speculate.  Cutting back on feeding will help reduce their population though.

• Like 2
cfaye@Delaware

Tank Ok

I hope everyone had a nice weekend. Well we are still hanging on, now part of tank chores is battling the WTH ( evil pods ) twice a day. Looks like I can order something to help with the WTH population late Wednesday night. Why wait so long, was waiting to see what the seller was going to do about my DOA claim, have heard nothing yet. The fish I lost was a Yellow Watchman Goby.....really nice fish. I posted over in the vendor feedback forum, " Question, Looking for Saltwater Fish Seller "

I can do nothing with this tank as long as I have WTH, and the way things stand now I will not be going back to this seller. The reviews on Yelp.com were not good, if not one thing it was another. Rip off ?????

Clown79.....Thank you for the impressive list of pods. I will research this over the winter months when things slow down a bit.......LMAO    you got that right, don't see no coral, all in back near intake tube, get sucked in filter if they try to get on coral, bad thing, alive and well in filter, turn off pump and very, very, very, slowly clean filter, be very watchful, and jump on it if any fall in tank.....Can not add any coral until cut down on pod population.....as said before can't remove rock.....

Light I am using is the Coral Compulsion Par 30 Vibrance

Lula_Mae.....good to see you, hope all is well. Hard to get pictures of coral right now, they seem to be in a good spot, don't want to move them. 

7/23/17 AM Tank ok

Mr. Round the big hermit crab molted, second time since I had him. Worried about the small hermit can't find a good shell.....he is less than 1/4 inch.....

7/24/17 PM Tank ok

Target fed tank, water change, clean and stir sandbed, just tank maintenance, tank chores. Took out about a gallon water. 

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
Cpl_Wiggles

Just my $.02 - I think your fixation on pods might be draining enjoyment from the hobby. They will balance out as soon as you control your feeding parameters. They bloom, consume, then balance out. You could also look into freshwater-dipping your live rock which will reduce the popultion. But time is your best solution. 

• Like 4
cfaye@Delaware
On 7/25/2017 at 0:50 PM, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Just my $.02 - I think your fixation on pods might be draining enjoyment from the hobby. They will balance out as soon as you control your feeding parameters. They bloom, consume, then balance out. You could also look into freshwater-dipping your live rock which will reduce the popultion. But time is your best solution. 

Tank OK.......

The Word For Today: Fixation

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fixation

LOL......I will be back in a bit ROFL

7/26/17 PM  Tank ok

I ordered the fish this evening, I will need lots of luck on this order, I hope the fish makes it, I'm trying another seller.

Hopefully it will be here Friday and I did order a piece of coral......sssoooo, we shall see how it goes. 

Broadcast fed tank, tank chores, top off twice a day, things are holding steady, nothing new going on with the tank.....Once again I will do a heavy feeding on 7/27/17 PM so that there will be no fights when I feed the fish.....I have been running the lights just a bit longer and looks like I have normal algae growth on the rock.....the small hermit loves it I think, he is always picking at it., much better than the coral. I will try and get some pictures posted of the new fish, see how it does with the WTH, maybe fix up the tank better. We shall see ???? 

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info

Pods are a good thing! And like someone mentioned they will even themselves out. Pods are not something to really worry about. Usually people worry about not having enough and how to increase them.

• Like 2
cfaye@Delaware

Tank ok ........

I hope everyone had a great weekend. On 7/28/17 PM, my new fish arrived late in the day, alive and well and still is at the time of this post. My first saltwater fish. It is a Green Clown Goby, nice small fish, sort of shy. Mr fish, I shall call him has made friends already, I think ??? He and Mr Round the large hermit crab hang out together, everywhere Mr Round goes Mr Fish goes. Emerald the crab, has no friends, he is the boss and the tiny hermit, well he just hangs out trying to make it. I did find shells for the tiny crab but still looking for more. Now before the fish came I did my heavy feeding and cleaning, water change, I wanted to do hands off tank for a couple of days when the new fish was in the tank, so he could get used to things not a lot of stress. I did try a few pellets for him after being in the tank a few hours, not sure what happened to them they were gone, not sure if fish or crabs ate them......I think Mr Fish might be a night feeder not sure also not sure what happened to WTH ( evil pods ) population seems to be dying down, still different kind of pods on rock, not too worried about those. I also did some moving around of coral and added some coral before fish came. I have a lid for the tank, I don't like it, so have another one on order. Also took down the tetra 5g that I was going to use for QT....took up too much space, now have a tetra 3g on stand by. I was 2 sec. from ordering a Green Mandarin Goby, but they get big if they live long enough, plus I did not want to get in trouble on NR ( flamed and bashed ) this place has been very, very, helpful.....not good to be hated. On this website they give excellent info on how to care for this Goby......but because they don't live long, one of the many reason, I just thought not worth it. 

I did some shopping for the tank and window shopping, brought some fish and coral food and a couple of coral, also brought and read how to glue frags to rock, got supplies for that, maybe one more piece of coral, yellow coral......with the upgrades to tank I think I can grow anything, but no SPS. I also looked into 

RO/DI units, I think I can manage to work it. I also looked into livestock for the marineland 5g, I like the Goby and Shrimp pair. Also custom made live rock for the marineland.

Here is a picture of Mr. Fish, not my picture but looks just like it:

597f299a41be6_large-GreenClownGoby_GobiodonHistrio.jpg.dc97586470ebc90261e4db3d74cdd080.jpg

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
  • Like 2
cfaye@Delaware

Hi, good to see you.....

corals that are new: 

No ID coral from LFS, they can never tell me what it is, $14 for sort of large piece.

Australian Big Polyp Blasto Red Single Head-Aquacultured ( not big now )

Coming in tomorrow:

Bam Bams

War Favia ( always wanted some )

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Hi, good to see you.....

corals that are new: 

No ID coral from LFS, they can never tell me what it is, $14 for sort of large piece.

Australian Big Polyp Blasto Red Single Head-Aquacultured ( not big now )

Coming in tomorrow:

Bam Bams

War Favia ( always wanted some )

All this and a new fishy too??

How exciting!!!

Post a pic of the Mystery Coral when you get a chance and we'll help you ID it. 

• Like 2
cfaye@Delaware

Tank ok.....

Hi, good to see everybody. Thanks for dropping buy and posting.

10 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Oops. Sorry kitten on my keyboard. Yes please post a picture of the coral & we can help ID it!

Yes cats are strange that way, they know how to get your attention when and if they want it, even at a young age, that's the way I feel and the more the merrier. 

7/31/17 AM  Tank ok.....

Did heavy target feeding the tank, coral, crabs, fish, mostly a mix of frozen foods for the fish, crabs will eat anything. Waited about 3hr, then started major cleaning. Algae, cleaning off tank wall, stir and clean sand bed, blow off junk on rocks and frags, clean and change filter, water change, added prime. All this time fish did not stress too much, just stayed in its spot and I did not go near that spot. 

7/31/17 PM Tank ok.....

When I turned on the light, caught Mr Fish at one of the coral frags, so I think he is eating and is a night feeder, so I will be making arrangements for that. I feed Mr Fish twice a day. 

I also got a quick look at him ( so shy ), maybe gained a little weight ???  So maybe some peace in my little world ( famous last words ), there is always tomorrow !!!!

Because this is the only fish in tank, didn't QT, most coral and crabs have been in for awhile. I have fish meds from my FW fish, but it is not reef or invert safe, so fish will have to be QT if it gets sick, it is saltwater fish safe.

This is a picture of the no ID coral from the LFS.....it is brown possibly sick, there is no color in the middle of the disk, on a good day the little pointed things on the very end of the disk will be green. I have seen a few of these in members tanks but never caught the name, thank you everyone for the help on the ID ....

Oh yes that is Mr Fish, on the right, under the rock ledge, you can't see him well, that is his spot.......

0731172245.thumb.jpg.0e39ebe31ac5ce348021032bf76faef8.jpg

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
  • cfaye@Delaware changed the title to 3g Cube, 5g Marineland....Now What ????