Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3g Cube, 5g Marineland....Now What ????

cfaye@Delaware

cfaye@Delaware

Newbie or Noob.....

I started the Tetra cube May 1st....the day it got wet. Using aquacultured live rock, Instant Ocean Reef Crystals , and CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite ( sand is very fine ) all from Petco

I used this sand because it is very fine and easy to clean in the type of tank I am running, I will not be using this sand in the Marineland it is too fine and blows around very easy. You wonder why I listed 2 tanks ??? The tetra is a test tank, to see if I could do a salt water tank, if things turn out good I will start the Marineland next spring. I do no live stock ordering in the cold months, been there done that with my fresh water tanks. I plan to go all out with the Marineland, it will be my only salt water and plus I need to budget for it....buy things for it slowly. I find that this hobby is not cheap. The tetra I will use as a QT tank. 

Right now as of this date I have no test kits which is kind of stupid for me. I ran the tetra with only sand, rock and water for 4 weeks with the lights running for a short period of time. A week later I added live stock, 2 red leg hermit crabs and 2 frags of mushroom coral. The hermits will be the only critters, the tank is too small for fish. Betta maybe.

On 6/21/17 I tested my water for the first time at Petco, the water I took in was this: I did a water change of about 20% waited 2 days then took it in, this is the reading.

Nitrates....20ppm

Nitrites....1.0

alkalinity.....40ppm

ph....7.4

Believe it or not, I have no clue as to what this is......now I will try to post a link

Now this is where I started.........

0622170642.thumb.jpg.8bf790ce13de879a131645b47e11d7e1.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, cool, a tank thread!!

I wanted to make a quick comment on the Marineland Portrait 5g tank, it might be a little hard to aquascape because of the way it is shaped, being taller than it is long. 

I have a tank that has that shape right now (tho it is larger) and that is one thing that bugs me about it. 

A typical 5.5g tank would be easier in that regard. 

• Like 1

Also, to edit your sig, look at the top right of your screen and click on the little drop-down arrow next to your name. 

Choose account settings from that menu, then "signature" or "edit your signature". 

When sig comes up just delete, add or change it to your hearts delight. 

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

Hi everybody....thanks for stopping by. Weetabix7, thanks for the info on the sig line. The tank is hanging in there, and I do mean hanging. I think I am on the very edge of something terrible I can feel it. To raise the salt level from 1.023 to at least 1.025 is a huge jump, I'm doing it slowly but it is hard. To not have any testing supplies is really not good, and I have been looking for some kind of kit from local lfs can't find anything. My test kit I ordered will not be here for several days, for some reason I did not order express.....another stupid move. For the marineland, I might be down sizing to an apartment, I want to live near the beach. The foot print of the tank to me is a good one. I have a 5g tetra crescent, that I used as a snail tank, ( fresh water ) I wanted shrimp also but never did it. The tank will be just a little to big. The tank is dry now. I have learned in this world anything is possible for a price. for me the tank will not be hard to aquascape, was reading that some places will do custom made live rock for a price, and I do mean price.

I think I have ID the coral I have, I am using mushrooms, they are supposed to be hardy. Most of the mushrooms I will be using will be low light, low current. WWC on some of their coral has the info about the coral.

1-Tamarind Shroom

Mushroom Combo Rock

1-Metallic Blue Mushroom....they glow under blue light. 

2-Bulls eye Mushrooms ( Tonga or Tonga Blue Mushroom ) these you have to feed.

The turkey baster and extra long tweezers are my friend, very helpful. Will be reading and what kind of sand to use on the marineland also looking into making my own RO/DI water. With two tanks that's going to be a lot of water. As soon as I get the tetra stable for a while will be adding more mushrooms. In the mean time will be researching what I want to add. Will be doing a water change tonight, have not figured out how much yet, I do know that it will be more than 20% and I would like to get the water changes down to once a week, I was doing it every 3 days about 20%. I will make this note: I started my new light cycle lets say Sat. 2hr blue 4hr white 2hr blue. First was running all white 12hr not good.....I have found out need to upgrade light.

My coral came in 6/14/17......

Working on time line.

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
cfaye@Delaware

So I am off work to day, Looking at tank like every 2hr.......LOL and what do I see more micro animals. One looked like rice with fan legs not sure too small, need magnifier glass, one was tan shaped like rice, not worried yet. I do feed my corals, Seachem Reef Zoo Plankton, broadcast feed, will need to target feed some, not sure what yet, some are supposed to like fish meat or something like that. Need shells for my hermit crabs, saw them checking each other out, they eat a lot, so should be growing. Posted a picture of red mushroom, this is the best color so far, want to remember it.

0625170612.thumb.jpg.f003f29a1a694ac7f26f295192a7ee40.jpg

I did my water change, took out about a gallon. My salt level is now up to 1.024, still have a ways to go, I just don't know why I don't want to go to 1.026, thinking about stopping at 1.025.....I just don't know. Now it looks like I might have ghost algae, I think I saw something about it, pictures and everything, will be doing some looking around for info. What ever it is crabs don't like it. Oh yes I do use Seachem Prime with my water changes sometimes. 

Ooopppss....Almost forgot, reds frag, good indicator, found 2, I think you call them feather dusters, very, very, tiny.

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
cfaye@Delaware

A busy day in the tank, I came home last night and found lots of different living things, all shapes and sizes but still very tiny. 2 things I saw make me wonder. Saw something that look like shrimp and something floating around that look like a jelly fish. So I did my tank work, took a 2hr. nap checked tank, hermit had molted. Now keeping eye on him, shells should be coming soon. Corals hanging in there. To tell you the truth I don't know what is on rock, found thread on ghost algae, but thread looks like it died. Trying to get picture but because of the color of what ever it is ( silver/white ) hard to get picture. Need to note: about 5 + days ago a very small piece of coral, looked just like red was in the sand it stayed in one spot for a day then disappeared.  Also looking for heaters, and back up power source for power outages. I see posted a lot here,  "only bad things happen fast"  So like I am going.....OH Lord !!!! 

Sorry I missed Reef-A-Palooza, it was right up the road, saw a video of the one in Florida, boy that looked like a boat load of fun.....Need to check for the next one and bring cooler. 

Yeah....like them banners up top. ( ads )

Took top off tank for more oxygen...... 

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
forgot info
cfaye@Delaware

AM Thur. 6/29/17

An huge addition was made to the tank, from LFS about 2 inch rock with 4 mushrooms, large maybe about a inch or little more in size. Hitchhiker Emerald Crab, No one saw it, not even me until the rock was in tank, ( free emerald crab ) and I acclimated the coral, in bag method for about 1 1/2 hr. Never saw crab just a bristle worm. I had been watching this rock for weeks going thru changes, this am it looked good, so this is where I am. The only description of the rock that I can remember at the store was, Mushroom rock and price. I got the rock also because it was small. I put rock in tank and right away my corals stressed. I waited a bit, searched emerald crab, then checked tank, corals still stressed. No test kit.....tested salt level, ok. So something in water chemistry had changed. Emerald crab was hiding under his rock, fed him algae wafers for now, I did get like frozen food for the meat eaters ( corals and whatnot ). I waited just a little more, I knew I had to do a water change at some point. So while I waited a bit more to see if my coral would get better did search on the new coral. This is what I found: The coral on the rock look a lot like this, It looks like it might be a SPS, my tank is not set up for that and my tank is not large enough, This rock might be going back to store.

Just called Mushroom, I have the purple one, they come in different colors. Also known as Acroporas.....I'm not sure.

Family: Discosomatidae

Species: Actinodiscus  nummiforme.

Now will try to do a quote.

The Purple Mushroom or Green Mushroom is semi-aggressive if they are near another coral. They will cause other corals to loose tissue, recess possibly die. Acroporas will not grow in aquariums with large mushroom populations. Make sure to leave 6 - 8 " between your mushrooms and other corals. Watch the growth rate since the A. nummiformewill overgrow and kill any nearby corals.

I found a tape measure and moved everything around. My corals did do better. I found a picture of them they look like this, another problem is mushrooms move around. I will not be getting any more of these. Then I am wondering why do people sell these. The ones I have now are closed, not enough light and current so can't get a picture of them in my tank. I do have a PAR 30 coming Sat. along with part of a testing kit.

BluePinstripeMushroom_ActinodiscusNummiformisTRCo_Cn1252.jpg.71c3934e2d6107b73985fc7a3d4b3042.jpg

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
  • Like 1

It's not terribly unusual for corals to temporarily close up when you put your hand in the tank or they feel current movement right next to them where they normally wouldn't, it's kind of a reflex action. 

Don't overthink it. 

Most Mushrooms aren't terribly aggressive. A minor exception to this is Hairy Mushrooms or Rhodactis Mushrooms but even then they need to contact another coral to bother it. 

Once you post a pic we can tell what kind of Mushrooms you have.

Mushrooms are an excellent beginner coral. 

I would definitely not recommend Acropora for where you are at right now in your Reefing journey anyway. 

As for the little critters you are seeing, odds are high that they are what we call Pods, short for Amphipods or Copepods. 

They are good for your tank. 

I would personally not recommend that you broadcast feed right now, I don't believe it's needed for what you have and it could lead to a buildup of phosphate or nitrate in your tank which could lead to pest algae issues. 

• Like 3
cfaye@Delaware

Good Morning, Picture posted. When the light comes I will see what kind of area coverage I get, shadows. I am not sure if this will be do able but cross wise the tank is 13 inches. If LFS does not take it back, not sure what to do.....as always thanks for posting. Then my personal life has taken a turn.....the struggle is real !!!! :huh:

22 minutes ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Good Morning, Picture posted. When the light comes I will see what kind of area coverage I get, shadows. I am not sure if this will be do able but cross wise the tank is 13 inches. If LFS does not take it back, not sure what to do.....as always thanks for posting. Then my personal life has taken a turn.....the struggle is real !!!! :huh:

The mushrooms you posted a pic of are perfectly harmless. 

There's no need to return them. 

• Like 2
Cpl_Wiggles

Read both your threads. 

Slow down and take a deep breath! Sometimes when we don't know what to do, we settle on doing *something* which may or may not be beneficial.

Let's start with a good, consistent water change:

Because you don't have a lid to your tank - it is essential you get a refractometer. I have this one: 

https://www.amazon.com/ETvalley-Sugar-Refractometer-Brix-0-32/dp/B019SUYJ3G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498835828&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=refractometer&psc=1

Super easy to use. Calibrate it by putting a small drop of regular RO/DI/Distilled water on it and use the small screwdriver to set the level to zero. Much like looking through a kaleidoscope as a kid. Now it's ready to help you determine your fill lines and salt scoops - just like cooking!

Get some equipment used ONLY for water changes. I use an old beer pitcher (lol) and a gallon milk jug. Using my refractometer, I determined it takes me 4 level scoops of 1 Tablespoon reef salt and a full beer pitcher of RO/DI/distilled water to reach 1.025. I then pour it into the milk jug, then a small amount back into the pitcher and swirl around to make sure ALL the salt goes into the jug. Then mark a line on the milk jug where the water is. Now you know exactly what you are going to mix each and every time! Next depending on climate, fill a bowl with hot water and set the jug in it to bring the temperatures closer together. If your tank is 80 and the water you are pouring in is 70 your inhabitants will feel a difference, just like we do. So try to get the two close together. Could also buy a spare heater to make sure temps match. 

Now pull your warmed jug out and put the cap on it - then give it a few shakes! it will mix all the salt water up and be ready to be poured into the tank. Now to your tank! Because you have to deal with evaporation, make sure your tank level is topped off before you do a water change, otherwise your salt levels will slowly go up over time. This means you are starting your water change at 1.025, and ending it at 1.025 - this is good! We want consistency. Now is when you take your turkey baster and blast all the gunk and junk off the rocks and maybe a little bit of sand (don't over-do the sand) so it's swirling through the water so a bunch of it can be removed when you scoop your pitcher during the water change. 

I scoop my pitcher into my water, taking out the same amount of water that I filled the milk jug with. (DO NOT CLEAN THIS PITCHER WITH SOAP/DISHWASHER ETC, ONLY RINSE WITH RO/DI/DISTILLED WATER). Then give the milk jug a final shake for good luck and dump it in the least crowded area of my tank. Now might be a good time to put in a fresh piece of filter material, too!

Make a whiteboard and note the date you did your water change - shoot for doing one once a week. Then also mark down the dates of your other have-tos (filter floss change and carbon change at the minimum). 

So what have you done? Just like cooking, you added precise ingredients to your salt mixture to match your tank mixture, just like cleaning the house, you removed the gunk and junk from the tank that can causing parameter issues, and finally you refilled the "good salt water" that your animals take in from the water. 

Start with consistently keeping your salt water levels the same at 1.025 and you'll be amazed at how everything else will start growing. 

Hope this helps and is simple to understand. 

• Like 4
cfaye@Delaware

Thank you for stopping by, good advice...... 

Fri. 6/30/17 AM

This morning things are looking ok, some corals pissed some not, so watching them. Since it seems like I have a few meat eaters, ( that's what I call them ) I would try to target feed. I like the frozen food brand San Francisco Bay, I am using the Saltwater Multi-Pack. I read that corals and other things like to eat different things, I use this brand on my freshwater tanks. Thawed out cube in tank water, fed coral and emerald crab. Now when I usually feed I see bristle worms, none this am, wondering. Then Waited about 1/2 hr or so, then cleaned up mess. Crabs poop a lot so need to watch bio-load. 3 crabs = big poop. The crab that molted is on the move and with the new coral rock, watching him, I shall call him round because shell is round. With cleaning up after tank breakfast, took out a bit of water, almost like a water change amount so added saltwater checked level, at 1.024......

Fri. PM

Got home from work tank ok some coral pissed ( I call it stress ), checked salt level, up just a tad, added fresh water, distilled. checked level, salt ok. Cleaned sand bed, took out small amount of water, checked salt level, ok. Watched tank for about 2hr went to bed. Old light runs.....11:00pm turn on all blue.....6:00am all the lights ......10:00am  all lights out. Tank doing ok. For me, always checking salt level.

Now a few people say I over think things, I like to know how things work esp. new things. I was one of those children who would take things a part and put them back together, I also would work on models, some things would work again some things not. As I grew older lost a lot of that. DIY is now hard for me for some reason. Another reason I over think this is next spring if I start the marineland I would like to invest big time on a bit larger more colorful coral, and in that tank it ain't going to be easy. I would hate to lose million dollar coral, it happens but I don't want it to at all cost. :) 

Like I said, this is only a test in the tetra. New light should be here today with part of test kit. Getting the coral used to the new light will take some time. 

This am not much to do to tank. Clean crab mess, check salt level, watch tank, feed crabs algae wafer, which I break in pieces and put in different spots. No need to feed coral. Go to work. Also working on time line my coral seem to be growing very slowly or not at all. 

The link to the refractometer does not work for me for some reason.

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
cfaye@Delaware

7/1/17 PM

Light came today, I went with the Coral Compulsion Par30 Vibrance. Tank is ok. Did my tank chores, started the last old light cycle, called it a day. Also part of the test kit came today, Salifert ammonia ( NH4 ) and I also got a very small fan. Found baby red, looks like him, he is on the new rock. 

7/2/17 AM

Tank is ok, checking the temp of the tank with the the fan running, looking to see if any changes ( + - ) to the tank. Will start the new light cycle this PM when I have more time to watch the tank. I did turn on the light briefly, looks good. With the crabs, working on tank in Am and PM. Tank chores.  Found some crab shells and more coming, letting them soak, not in tank yet.

cfaye@Delaware

7/2/17......tested for ammonia, had questions about results:

0.5.....could not read color, members suggested reading in sunlight, will do.

7/2/17 PM

Tank is ok. Started the new light cycle with the new light, everybody loves it. Had to adjust light a bit it is about 11 1/2 inches above tank. I took pictures so I could remember light placement. OMG !!!! I could see everything, the pods are huge, don't like them. The emerald crab is my friend, he is chasing the pods and I have seen no worms since he has been in. I am not sure with new light how long to run it.....trying for 12hr. watching tank.....light on 11:00 pm. Fed coral, looked hungry, broadcast feed. Crabs like coral food. Tank chores.

7/3/17 AM

Tank ok. Light ok. Tank chores. Been thinking about CUC  for the 5g. Mostly about sand bed cleaners and pest removers.  Also how to aquascape, I want to be able to remove small pieces of rock with coral to treat if I have to and room to clean sand bed.

Twelve hours is a pretty long cycle, you said it's a Coral Compulsion PAR bulb?  I run my PAR bulb on about an 8 hour cycle and recommend you start there.  Too much light can burn or bleach your corals.  I think I read something that made me think you were running the blues on your old light all night long?  Or did I read it wrong?  If you were running them all night long, that might have been the cause of the coral irritation--corals need time to rest at night just like we do! 

I was a little unclear on why you were thinking about returning the mushroom rock.  It is normal, when a coral is new to a tank and has just been put in, for it to be a little mad about it.  I fully expect new additions to be closed up for a day or two before they start opening back up.  I wonder if part of your issue with corals being irritated might actually be that your hands are in the tank too much.  I am very hands-off with my tank and do not like to put my hands in unless I have to.  If I do, I make sure they are clean and rinsed well of any soap residue after using a gentle soap (none of that anti-bacterial junk) and absolutely NO lotion at any time.  If you have pipettes or a pair of forceps you can target feed your critters without really getting your hands wet.

Also, if you're not yet doing it, I highly recommend dipping every single coral you put into the tank.  This can prevent the addition of all kinds of yucky pests that could decimate your tank.  I use Lugol's iodine but there are other dips that are more effective at killing pest invertebrates that ride in on frags (Lugol's iodine is good to have on hand to dip corals that are ailing though, I use a couple drops of Lugol's in a cup or so of tank water for 3-5 minutes).

• Like 2
cfaye@Delaware

Hi, good to see you. I will get the Lugol's dip, looking into something to dip coral in for pests. Will need to find some kind of dip for pests.  All of the advice well said, thank you. Also I really don't put hands in tank, use long turkey baster and extra long tweezers. For the old light cycle, ran the blue lights most of the night then a few hours of all the lights, blue and white. Yes you are right, running the new light for 8 hrs. sounds good. It is the coral compulsion par 30. The tank is holding it's own, will stress sometimes. Working on time line, have not had livestock long and It has been going thru a lot of different changes. Once again thank you for posting.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention--for a heater, I have a 25w from Aqua Forest Aquariums that is very slender and has an external temperature control, and I highly recommend it.  I'll see if I can find the link.  And for power outages--look for an inexpensive battery powered air pump for now.  Not sure where to find a power backup other than a generator, but an air pump will keep water circulating and oxygenated which will help a lot in an extended outage.  I got mine for about $9 on Amazon.

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

Hi, thanks for the info on the heater, thanks for stopping by. Oh yes and emergency power info, big help.

7/3/17 PM

First quiet night in a long time with tank. Just tank chores, tank is ok. 

7/4/17 AM

Tank ok, did a water change, took out about 1 1/2 gallon, changed filter, added prime. At this point only feeding livestock in tank when everybody looks sort of hungry. Salt level still at 1.024. I am still checking tank ( looking at it ) every 2hr. Temp. at 77 degrees. 

went window shopping, want to upgrade filter, found an Aquaclear 20, looks pretty good, been thinking about it. The AC 30, I can't do the DIY so I hope this filter will work for the tetra. I am loving the new light, might even see coral growth now. Right now light is about 11 inches from tank, might lower it a bit in a couple of days, see how things go. Running light for 8hrs. then lights out. Start lights at 11pm.......off at 7am. Will do more window shopping. Hope you had a good holiday !!!! 

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

7/4/17 PM

Tank ok.....tank chores, Do AM and PM, this is a given, I am worried about ammonia levels still can't read test. The color is white or 0.5, to be on the safe side I am going with 0.5, so I am working on it mostly with water changes matching everything and using distilled water, I might even test the distilled water. Another indicator I have been using are the very small micro animals, if anything happens to them I am in trouble. Got lucky Mr. Round the hermit crab found new shell, I put just a few in, I hope he keeps it. The other hermit is a blue leg, so I call him Mr. Blue, I have a few shells for him, not many, need to find more. He has not changed over. Oh, oh, been reading, aiptasia, look like feather duster ???

Hermit shell size: 1/2 - 1 inch

1/4 inch

Also been thinking about getting a Dremmal ? Use it to cut off frag plugs ? I like old frags, some interesting things are on them. Yes making a medicine chest for the tetra, Looks like saltwater tanks can come down with all kinds of things, I have one for fresh water tank. Need to get a tote to put my saltwater supplies in, things everywhere. 

7/5/17 AM

Tank ok......Reading about ammonia level, going back to my old water changes. About every three days at about 20%. I need to update the filter, I don't think it can handle the bio-load. To me the whole tank and everything in it is living which can make for a huge load. Right now the water is cloudy been that way for a bit, not sure if bacteria boom or the crabs stirring things up. Now the only tests I have are the ammonia and Nitrite by Salifert, working on more, next one might be calcium and some others. 

0705172113a.thumb.jpg.5db889b8eb1fd65a7517e450b54ccef6.jpg

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
Cpl_Wiggles

As your tank gets more established you can adopt a more "hands off" approach to your tank and not fret so much about it. Remember these critters have quite the varied environment in the ocean! Make a reasonable schedule for maintenance (remember my whiteboard advice!) and stick to it! Scheduled routine disturbances have less of an impact overall than everyday "fiddling". 

You're doing great! 

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

Hi, thanks for stopping by. 

7/5/17 PM

Tank ok, looks like might be a quiet night. Tank chores. Salt level: 1.024....about 1/2 way between the 1.024 and 1.025 mark. I will stop at 1.025. I get a lot of evaporation, not always home to top off. So almost there. Corals doing ok with light placement and I do have some shadow spots if I need them. Now I do have 2 journals, one here and one in a notebook. I think my main concern is tank sickness. I Do Not like the lost of livestock.

0703170006a.thumb.jpg.1cd23738d1f573a091dca99e463b549b.jpg

595ddafbc2a07_0705172112b(1).thumb.jpg.40cdd676478a7cc5c05659f11f056e15.jpg

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
added info
  • Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

7/6/17 AM

Tank Not Ok !!!!

In broad daylight lights on, my multi-combo frag of mushrooms was covered with pods. During one of my 2hr. checks I found this mess, not happy. I have nothing, no dips, QT tank, frag rack nothing, not even peroxide. I took my tweezers and chased them off, the mushroom did get a little better. The frag that it is on has like a little cave on it, I saw a huge pod in the cave.....Ok, I went nuts, I mean nuts. Trying to figure out what to do it happened so fast, I mean the frag was full of them. I had a glass bowl and put distilled water in it and put frag in that and washed it around, sort of hard. I only washed for about a minute or so, the pods fell off. I saw maybe about 8. Ok, mushrooms were acting a little strange as in maybe pissed a little. They looked ok, eating. I thought, stressed because of so many changes. Now what happened was horrible, never seen that before, like horror movie. Yeah I been reading about them pods. Now I don't know if the frag will make it after the wash, I had no place to put it but back in the tank. I found a small plastic container and covered it with that. Now you all be talk'en about them bristle worms and pods. You all better be careful, I think there is something about parasites that can pretend to be harmless but are not, read that some where, they have a special name for that. I guess you could search parasites. esp. Marine. Now something else to worry about, what about the marineland......ain't taken this crap in the 5g. Oh yeah been read'en about them spiders too. This is crazy. To have million dollar tanks go out this way esp. the nano's. Over thinking, Yep, got that right. I am so angry. Now I am thinking and searching on how to nuke the tank without killing every single thing. Don't want to take rock out or sand.....nothing leaves the tank......every thing in tank. Please forgive me, I am burning HOT !!!!!

1 hour ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

7/6/17 AM

Tank Not Ok !!!!

In broad daylight lights on, my multi-combo frag of mushrooms was covered with pods. During one of my 2hr. checks I found this mess, not happy. I have nothing, no dips, QT tank, frag rack nothing, not even peroxide. I took my tweezers and chased them off, the mushroom did get a little better. The frag that it is on has like a little cave on it, I saw a huge pod in the cave.....Ok, I went nuts, I mean nuts. Trying to figure out what to do it happened so fast, I mean the frag was full of them. I had a glass bowl and put distilled water in it and put frag in that and washed it around, sort of hard. I only washed for about a minute or so, the pods fell off. I saw maybe about 8. Ok, mushrooms were acting a little strange as in maybe pissed a little. They looked ok, eating. I thought, stressed because of so many changes. Now what happened was horrible, never seen that before, like horror movie. Yeah I been reading about them pods. Now I don't know if the frag will make it after the wash, I had no place to put it but back in the tank. I found a small plastic container and covered it with that. Now you all be talk'en about them bristle worms and pods. You all better be careful, I think there is something about parasites that can pretend to be harmless but are not, read that some where, they have a special name for that. I guess you could search parasites. esp. Marine. Now something else to worry about, what about the marineland......ain't taken this crap in the 5g. Oh yeah been read'en about them spiders too. This is crazy. To have million dollar tanks go out this way esp. the nano's. Over thinking, Yep, got that right. I am so angry. Now I am thinking and searching on how to nuke the tank without killing every single thing. Don't want to take rock out or sand.....nothing leaves the tank......every thing in tank. Please forgive me, I am burning HOT !!!!!

Were the pods actually eating the mushrooms?  Or just crawling on them?  I'm not sure mushrooms can handle a freshwater dip.  Keep an eye on them in case they start melting.  And see if you can find some Lugol's iodine to do dips, it's 1-2 drops Lugol's in a cup of tank water for 3-5 minutes.  Pods and bristleworms are beneficial most of the time, they're really only an issue in plague proportions.  They help keep the tank clean.

P.S. I don't think there's any way to nuke the tank without nuking everything.  Be careful of panic and knee-jerk reactions.  They are ALWAYS going to make the situation worse.  ALWAYS.

• Like 2
  • cfaye@Delaware changed the title to 3g Cube, 5g Marineland....Now What ????