SaltCritters.com

Utahpico

30 minutes ago, Utahpico said:

I can't wait for these to spread all over my rocks.20170723_123254.thumb.jpg.3ca51acb61cbfd892a84ec1f5972d05b.jpg

What kind are they ? I just got a gorgeous eagle eye colony and they look amazing!!!

I took my tank apart cause a snail has been lost in the sand for over a week and I was worried about it crashing my tank so I took everything out, stirred up the sand really good and scrubbed everything then refilled it. 100% water change. I'll put rocks and corals back later tonight. It's being bubble scrubbed for the next 5 hrs. All rocks will be glued together when it goes back, something I've never done. 

On 7/24/2017 at 4:59 PM, Clown79 said:

The reason why people use floss besides trapping detritus/particles is so that it can be ditched and replaced to prevent nutrient buildup.

Floss is pretty cheap. Costs me $12 for about 6-7mnths worth. That's with 2 tanks. If I had only one it would last a yr. I change it twice a week.

It's why we don't advise using filter sponges because ppl rinse them and reuse which leads to higher nutrient issues.

Where do you buy yours?

I use, and love, magic erasers for cleaning tanks. I just used them to clean my gorgonians. They do a great job, but you definitely have to check to make sure they're the standard ones with no chemicals.

9 minutes ago, Utahpico said:

I took my tank apart cause a snail has been lost in the sand for over a week and I was worried about it crashing my tank so I took everything out, stirred up the sand really good and scrubbed everything then refilled it. 100% water change. I'll put rocks and corals back later tonight. It's being bubble scrubbed for the next 5 hrs. All rocks will be glued together when it goes back, something I've never done. 

If you cycled your tank for any decent amount of time, one snail dying wouldn't even remotely crash your tank. What led you to believe this would be an issue? I hate to be a downer, but pico tanks aren't super easy, and I would really try to research things more before doing anything. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

If you cycled your tank for any decent amount of time, one snail dying wouldn't even remotely crash your tank. What led you to believe this would be an issue? I hate to be a downer, but pico tanks aren't super easy, and I would really try to research things more before doing anything. 

It only has 3g of water.. I just didn't want to risk anything, plus I was curious to see if it was still alive, cause it couldn't get out of the sand. I've only had Pico and nano sized tanks. 

The question is, did you find the snail (and was it alive)? :lol:

4 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Something that's oft repeated around here is that snails dying will cause an ammonia spike that can hurt your tank if it's a pico.  This idea is all over Nano-Reef lol.

I found an empty shell.. it was my favorite snail, a bumblebee with purple coraline all over. : ( i would say this is why my zoas have been closed up for a couple  weeks 

• Sad 2
29 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

RO/DI source ? or this is actually filtering DT water?

I don't know what DT water is. All I know is it says reverse osmosis. 

I'm not sure, I use it for top off and I have zero unwanted algae on the glass, I don't have to clean it, my sand is white and there are no blooms, good enough for me. 

• Haha 1

First time I've ever glued my rockwork together. Looks much better to me, now for the zoas and gsp to grow over the arch. I can pick it up out of the tank in one piece for easier maintenance and cleaning the sand

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Utahpico said:

First time I've ever glued my rockwork together. Looks much better to me, now for the zoas and gsp to grow over the arch. I can pick it up out of the tank in one piece for easier maintenance and cleaning the sand

Looks good!

What'd you use? Did you dry the rocks off first before glueing them?