Cultivated Reef

Utahpico

I Completely ripped my tank apart last night, used a magic eraser and scrubbed all of the algae from the glass and back wall. Left the sand bed alone as much as I could, also took a few pieces of rock out to give the fish more room to swim around. I can't leave this thing alone, I'm to OCD 

1 hour ago, Utahpico said:

I Completely ripped my tank apart last night, used a magic eraser and scrubbed all of the algae from the glass and back wall. Left the sand bed alone as much as I could, also took a few pieces of rock out to give the fish more room to swim around. I can't leave this thing alone, I'm to OCD 

Magic eraser as in Mr.Clean? Those have chemicals in them do they not?

1 hour ago, Finhead1 said:

Magic eraser as in Mr.Clean? Those have chemicals in them do they not?

The "original" version has no chemicals, it is just malamine foam (a microabrasive). Maybe people swear by them, and have for many years. I used to use them without issue, but haven't in a while for no particular reason. I can't say with 100% certainty that the off brands are exactly the same, but they SHOULD be fine for the most part. However, always double check what you are using and don't just take what people online say as fact!

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

The "original" version has no chemicals, it is just malamine foam (a microabrasive). Maybe people swear by them, and have for many years. I used to use them without issue, but haven't in a while for no particular reason. I can't say with 100% certainty that the off brands are exactly the same, but they SHOULD be fine for the most part. However, always double check what you are using and don't just take what people online say as fact!

Well the "real" ones here in Canada def have chemicals in them you can smell them and it lets out a whitish hue to the water as soon as it's submerged. Not something I would even think of putting near my tanks. Maybe there different in the US.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Finhead1 said:

Well the "real" ones here in Canada def have chemicals in them you can smell them and it lets out a whitish hue to the water as soon as it's submerged. Not something I would even think of putting near my tanks. Maybe there different in the US.

Hmmm odd. I don't know if anything has changed in the past few years, or if the "original" version would be different between countries. Maybe look for a data safety sheet? I tend to not state things as fact even when I've seen others do so for this very reason, you never know what circumstances could be different for other people. 

• Like 1

I have special cleaning pads, like a magic eraser i use for other work things, I buy a huge box of them, and they have no chemicals. Some of the mr clean ones do in fact have some sort of cleanning detergent within the block. 

They clean really well, some people cut thin layers and put it on the inside of there tank between the magnet and glass. I just do it by hand the old fashion way.  (Side shot showing all the room the fish has I checked it's 3g in the display)20170722_080157.thumb.jpg.3a99295a69fb753e2c6042e4caa6776a.jpg

• Like 1

Who needs a protein skimmer when my filter floss is pulling out this much cloudy brownish junk every other day when I rinse it. I have "55x's+" tank volume flow through floss per hour.20170723_194300.thumb.jpg.01d470a077e6d7f9ac732353c6dfcaf5.jpg

Pinner Reef

Welcome to NR.com! If you're looking for really good coral in Utah make sure you get to know some of the locals. Nick, Rusty and Jared are all locals that sell out of their homes. They have everything you could get online at very reasonable rates. Hit me with a PM and I can give you their details. Tank looks like it's coming along pretty nice. 

3 hours ago, Utahpico said:

Who needs a protein skimmer when my filter floss is pulling out this much cloudy brownish junk every other day when I rinse it. I have "55x's+" tank volume flow through floss per hour.20170723_194300.thumb.jpg.01d470a077e6d7f9ac732353c6dfcaf5.jpg

Why are you rinsing the floss? 

It's meant to be discarded and replaced.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Why are you rinsing the floss? 

It's meant to be discarded and replaced.

I'm a tight wad....jk I rinse once then toss. I don't see a reason not to.

17 hours ago, Pinner Reef said:

Welcome to NR.com! If you're looking for really good coral in Utah make sure you get to know some of the locals. Nick, Rusty and Jared are all locals that sell out of their homes. They have everything you could get online at very reasonable rates. Hit me with a PM and I can give you their details. Tank looks like it's coming along pretty nice. 

Thanks for the info, and the welcome.. I know Nick from way back, sold him a tank in college. And I've bought zoas from rusty in his new shop. : )

18 hours ago, Utahpico said:

If my Deltch only pulled something like that out of the water I would cry. LOL Mine looks like muddy coffee.

28 minutes ago, Utahpico said:

I'm a tight wad....jk I rinse once then toss. I don't see a reason not to.

The reason why people use floss besides trapping detritus/particles is so that it can be ditched and replaced to prevent nutrient buildup.

Floss is pretty cheap. Costs me $12 for about 6-7mnths worth. That's with 2 tanks. If I had only one it would last a yr. I change it twice a week.

It's why we don't advise using filter sponges because ppl rinse them and reuse which leads to higher nutrient issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have experience with Duncan coral? Mine has been closed for 3 days and some zoas too! I added my carbon/as I mix back to tank and it's kinda opened everything else seems to be doing great. 

Cpl_Wiggles
On 8/1/2017 at 7:20 PM, Utahpico said:

Anyone have experience with Duncan coral? Mine has been closed for 3 days and some zoas too! I added my carbon/as I mix back to tank and it's kinda opened everything else seems to be doing great. 

My Duncan closes up for a couple days, then opens, then closes again. He started being pretty touchy once he started sprouting additional heads. Still entertaining to spot feed him with a pellet or brine shrimp. 

Nice setup:) How did your make your lid? Need to make one for my 8g cube. Where did you find the plastic rims and what did you use to hold the mesh and plastic together? :)

The tabs came with the tank for the glass lid it came with, which I'll use in winter, I just found something at Wal-Mart that was mesh and big enough to cover the tank, which happened to be a baking sheet. Lol