Top Shelf Aquatics

Utahpico

I hope I'm doing this right, I'm back into the hobby after taking a long break and moving around all over the place. Had a 20g setup in my garage to get started again, then it started getting hot, so I moved everything into a 3.7g petco tank and it has been fun, I love small tanks, they are a lot of work20170504_171134.thumb.jpg.027f1394abf031da265c11ca5e4dd39d.jpg

• Like 3

Yes it definitely is this is not a permanent home for the clown I will get a bigger tank soon. Guy at of a said 1" of fish per gallon and I have 3. Lol Tank has been up and running for 3 weeks now.

20170618_150235.jpg

Yes it definitely is this is not a permanent home for the clown I will get a bigger tank soon. Guy at lfs said 1" of fish per gallon and I have 3. Lol Tank has been up and running for 3 weeks now.

RayWhisperer

Well, as long as the new home is in the near future.

And just for future reference. The 1" per gallon rule is pretty much garbage. While a clown doesn't need much room, the biological capacity of a 3 gallon system probably can't support a clownfish. Plus, I'd guess even a clown needs a bit more room than a 3 gallon can afford them.

• Like 2

That's a nice looking tank.

I like that mesh lid, did you make it?

A 3g is too small for a clown. Some do 1 in a 5g and that is even small for them.

Pico's usually are more for inverts and corals, maybe a tailspot blenny because they  are tiny.

Back chambers, first filter floss and live rock, second bubbler, then a huge bio plastic sponge and carbon zero blend, then a 50w heater and 80gph return pump. And more rock. 

20170621_070309.jpg

I made the lid from a baking sheet, the stock glass lid was a heat trap. 

What did you use to hold the mesh together? Do you have any diy plans?

Be careful with the rocks in the back chamber. A lot of detritus builds in those chambers and needs to be cleaned out regularly. 

It's actually  pretty nasty what comes out from back there.

• Like 1

I just measured and cut it.. I use a turkey baster and blow the back chamber and display clean 3x's a week and change the filter floss after water is crystal clean. Also I have micro bubbles randomly blown thru display to scrub water..? 

RayWhisperer

Get rid of the zeolite next time you change your carbon, too. 

Also, no need to get rid of the rubble, if you don't want to. Just put it in a mesh bag. That way you can easily remove it and clean it, and the back chamber, as well.

Zeolite seems to keep my system super clean and low nutrient, and I use a 2 part/ water changes bi weekly to keep levels in check. So a zoas/ softies are doing great. 

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  I was going to echo to be careful of detritus buildup with your rubble in the back, but Ray's bag idea is a good one.  You already know about the clownfish, and yeah, 1 inch per gallon isn't a great rule even for freshwater and definitely not salt.  If you want to see a setup of this tank from a member, look up Yoshii's 5.5.  It started out life in this exact tank (a very cute tank, btw, and one I like!).  Your scape is very nice.  It will be interesting to see how well your lights support corals!

When you move the clown out of this tank, look into a small goby or blenny, like the tailspot clown mentioned.

• Like 2
RayWhisperer
5 minutes ago, Utahpico said:

Zeolite seems to keep my system super clean and low nutrient, and I use a 2 part/ water changes bi weekly to keep levels in check. So a zoas/ softies are doing great. 

Your maintenance routine (provided you continue to do it as you do now) will be more than adequate. 

Be careful if you are dosing 2 part without testing.

• Like 1

Lfs's aren't too great out here in Utah. I miss Hawaii, I got my corals for free. Monti, came brown, its coloring up nice, and those zoas had no color at all when i got them. 

20170619_202108.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, Utahpico said:

Lfs's aren't too great out here in Utah. I miss Hawaii, I got my corals for free. Monti, came brown, its coloring up nice, and those zoas had no color at all when i got them. 

20170619_202108.jpg

Yeah, I order a lot of stuff online cuz my LFS selection has historically been less than awesome lol.

Are you dosing alk and ca? because you shouldn't need to with very few corals in there and with multiple waterchanges a week.

As you said, your waterchanges replenish the needs so dosing at this point shouldn't  be required.

Dosing should  be done to replenish what corals use up and you have to test everyday  for a week from after a water change  to the next water change to determine consumption.

Dosing blindly will cause fluctuations in parameters which will lead to problems. 

That's why @RayWhisperer mentioned to be careful because  dosing without testing can really mess things up. Numbers could be going up and down between dosing and waterchanges.

Ya I know. I bought it cause I was going to have a big tank but that didn't go as planned maybe I'll sell my 2part. I plan on adding a few large spa colonies actor's and I love birds nest. My consumption will go up. 

You can keep the two part, I'd just wait to start dosing till you have a need, like clown said.  Multiple water changes a week is more than plenty (fwiw I was doing one 90% or so water change a week on my 2.3 gallon pico while I had it running, and that was it).

• Like 1